SC 5.2 in the R or something else?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Richard Hinsley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would buy this electric version over today's ecoboost. I was surprised in 2017 that the Raptor did not get some type of powerplant like this since Ford was well down the road of at least hybrid technology. The latest Ford Lightning powertrain is a perfect fit into the Raptor, so maybe look for that? I am doubtful of any kind of Raptor R release at this point based on the timing.
I will say, if we are talking about Raptor R, there was a small item people glossed over when Ford initially stated "there will be an R".... it was that the R would be for 'off-road only'.... as in a purpose built off-road vehicle. This is no different than the previous stance they tool on the Cobrajet, and with the new Bronco R. We know the Bronco R gets a V8, and off-road only... and it was something like $250k? *If* we get a Raptor R, I fully believe that it follows this same pattern.
I never read anything about the Raptor R being offroad only. SC V8 will be at least a couple years.

Frogger22

“Not all who wander are lost” Tolkien
Reaction score
Electric cars are not the future. Screen cap this.
I couldn’t disagree more! The technology will continually improve and will become more and more practical and efficient. What do you want to do instead? Technology will move forward whether you want to or not. These comments remind me of the ol’ timers cursing at the sky saying aviation will never take off…yeah right :rolleyes:

You want to know the future? It will be removable and replaceable batteries for vehicles that you can swap out like a Dewalt drill. Screen cap that!

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I couldn’t disagree more! The technology will continually improve and will become more and more practical and efficient. What do you want to do instead? Technology will move forward whether you want to or not. These comments remind me of the ol’ timers cursing at the sky saying aviation will never take off…yeah right :rolleyes:
If that's the case, let the market dictate the direction of transportation and not the government mandates/incentives. Right now we are being forced into EV's before they can actually compete with ICE, all because the governments are subsidizing those coal powered cars and OEM's are making all the extra profit they can. That will end some day, and people will be faced with the actual problems EV's have. Unless subsidies are removed and manufacturer's are forced to make the market offerings better and better to incentivize the move away from ICE.

Frogger22

“Not all who wander are lost” Tolkien
Reaction score
If that's the case, let the market dictate the direction of transportation and not the government mandates/incentives. Right now we are being forced into EV's before they can actually compete with ICE, all because the governments are subsidizing those coal powered cars and OEM's are making all the extra profit they can. That will end some day, and people will be faced with the actual problems EV's have. Unless subsidies are removed and manufacturer's are forced to make the market offerings better and better to incentivize the move away from ICE.
Ugh yeah I agree with that and have said it many times. That all has nothing to do with the statement I responded to.

But yeah, The government will just subsidize electric till they force the ICE out and then once they are gone the government will crank up electric prices 100000000%. Anything the government touches it ruins and so on and so forth. Let Ford move to electric because they are genuinely better when the tech is there. Not oh we are the government and will put a gun to your head to force you to do it because it sells votes to ignorant urban voters.

None of that negates the fact electric is where the tech is heading. If I was in charge we would go full speed into nuclear but you know who am I? Just some A-hole with an opinion.

dspangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never read anything about the Raptor R being offroad only. SC V8 will be at least a couple years.

Yes, Ford made this statement in the release earlier this year. It created pushback as many people caught it. Ford never ruled one way or the other on if it will really be that way or not. The Bronco R (V8, off-road only) sets the precedent, and I would fully imagine that the Raptor R would also be a purpose built off-road truck.
In any case, it seems that Ford is extremely confused with what to offer. They are losing consumers for things ranging from build date, delivery issues, defects, and now even spec gaps (people cross shopping). Ford is making it really hard for buyers to choose them over everything else available.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score

You want to know the future? It will be removable and replaceable batteries for vehicles that you can swap out like a Dewalt drill. Screen cap that!
Didnt thousands of tesla drivers get locked out of their cars yesterday because of network failure? Lol.

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didnt thousands of tesla drivers get locked out of their cars yesterday because of network failure? Lol.
That has nothing to do with EV’s being forced down our throats though. I don’t like EV’s. Yes I’ve driven them, and I personally find the lack of engine sound, gears shifting to ruin the experience of a fun vehicle.

I drove a Tesla Model S P100D for a full day once. It cost $130k and could run a 10sec 1/4 mile. Yet I was bored of it after about 15 min. I never knew or thought that driving a 10sec $130k+ car would bore me before driving a Tesla. Those numbers would have me acting like a teenager who just got his first car had it been powered by an actual gas engine making enough power to run those numbers.

Just my $.02 on EV’s. I don’t think they are for most car guys.

Last edited:

Jonesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That has nothing to do with EV’s being forced down our throats though. I don’t like EV’s. Yes I’ve driven them, and I personally find the lack of engine sound, gears shifting to ruin the experience of a fun vehicle.

I drive a Tesla Model S P100D for a full day once. It cost $130k and could run a 10sec 1/4 mile. Yet I was bored of it after about 15 min. I never knew or thought that driving a 10sec $130k+ car would bore me before driving a Tesla. Those numbers would have me acting like a teenager who just got his first car had it been powered by an actual gas engine making enough power to run those numbers.

Just my $.02 on EV’s. I don’t think they are for most car guys.
Better watch out the Tesla Karen brigade might get offended.