SC 5.2 in the R or something else?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Minus the weight of a full tank of gas 36 gallons at 216lbs, less the engine, transmission, gas tank, gas lines, anyway you get my point. Not sure which is heavier in the end, but I don't think it would be 1000 lbs either way. Which isn't too bad for an electric vehicle, unless you meant hybrid and then it's just a couple batteries not a whole trailer full, lol.

I was referring to a hybrid. Something I haven’t been a fan of personally.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Hybrid adds 30HP in the PowerBoost; which would mean a 5.0 paired to the same hybrid system would make 430HP. Same as the 3.5 PowerBoost, except substantially less torque. This would result in a Raptor that is slower than the current model, with most likely similar fuel economy numbers. I don't see that capturing any prospective TRX buyers, or anyone else for that matter.

Mxsledder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really think the R will be street legal. They are aiming for the TRX and if not for the TRX the R would likely never exist.
I bet it has the 5.2 and has more than 702 HP to one up the TRX.
Who knows though really.

adamj2121

Reaction score
bronco raptor is street legal it might be called the warthog. the one that is dedicated racer is the bronco desert racer for I think $250k. at least everything ive read elluded to that. but things change.
Bronco Raptor is street legal, correct. Bronco R is the 250k desert racer that is not street legal. I think Ford is going to use the R to indicate Race as opposed to just being the next tier of performance. I could be completely wrong, just my gut feeling at this point.
I really think the R will be street legal. They are aiming for the TRX and if not for the TRX the R would likely never exist.
I bet it has the 5.2 and has more than 702 HP to one up the TRX.
Who knows though really.
I think the TRX is why ford started teasing the R and hinting that it was a V8. With the Hellcat engine being discontinued in the very near future, I don't think we will see the R with a V8 as a street legal vehicle. If we do, I imagine the production numbers are going to be very limited.

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I think the TRX is why ford started teasing the R and hinting that it was a V8. With the Hellcat engine being discontinued in the very near future, I don't think we will see the R with a V8 as a street legal vehicle. If we do, I imagine the production numbers are going to be very limited.

I think RAM is keeping the engine for the TRX. Almost every article I see says "Dadge" is dicontinung the Hellcat but no mention of RAM. Who knows though.

"The Hellcat supercharged 6.2-liter Hemi V-8 engine makes anywhere from 702 to 840 horsepower and has been found in models such as the Dodge Challenger, Charger, and Durango SRT Hellcats (though only in the three-row SUV for one model year) as well as the Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk and Challenger SRT Demon. Though the aforementioned report has no mention of the Ram 1500 TRX, we reached out to a Ram spokesperson who said "no comment." Funny, that's exactly how we feel."
-Car & Driver

Raptorial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The TRX offers 700+ HP and can be had at MSRP. And there's no shortage of them

The R still has no additional information and is very late to this game. Logic would tell you with the wide focus on EVs, Ford missed the boat with the R. They should release it as a 1000hp EV at this point to make it viable.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score