SC 5.2 in the R or something else?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BobbyVA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thoughts about the hybrid V8 in the R instead of the 5.2? You want to talk about a slap in the face to MOPAR...especially since the announcement of the hellcat engine being discontinued. Ford would get more horsepower out of the hybrid with way better gas mileage than the outgoing 6.2 checkmate

dspangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thoughts about the hybrid V8 in the R instead of the 5.2? You want to talk about a slap in the face to MOPAR...especially since the announcement of the hellcat engine being discontinued. Ford would get more horsepower out of the hybrid with way better gas mileage than the outgoing 6.2 checkmate

I would buy this electric version over today's ecoboost. I was surprised in 2017 that the Raptor did not get some type of powerplant like this since Ford was well down the road of at least hybrid technology. The latest Ford Lightning powertrain is a perfect fit into the Raptor, so maybe look for that? I am doubtful of any kind of Raptor R release at this point based on the timing.
I will say, if we are talking about Raptor R, there was a small item people glossed over when Ford initially stated "there will be an R".... it was that the R would be for 'off-road only'.... as in a purpose built off-road vehicle. This is no different than the previous stance they tool on the Cobrajet, and with the new Bronco R. We know the Bronco R gets a V8, and off-road only... and it was something like $250k? *If* we get a Raptor R, I fully believe that it follows this same pattern.

blaiseam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tuned aluminum block NA V8 would be my choice if I could pick. No extra heat, parts, or weight from forced induction. I don't need 702 hp. A 600hp/600tq Raptor R would be the sweet spot IMO.

Yes, i know 600/600 is wildly optimistic, but if we're dreaming why not?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The extra weight of batteries is an instant turn off for me.
Minus the weight of a full tank of gas 36 gallons at 216lbs, less the engine, transmission, gas tank, gas lines, anyway you get my point. Not sure which is heavier in the end, but I don't think it would be 1000 lbs either way. Which isn't too bad for an electric vehicle, unless you meant hybrid and then it's just a couple batteries not a whole trailer full, lol.

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Has there even been any news about the R outside of "the V8 is coming" when they released the GEN3?

And @blaiseam I like your style. I'm not a big fan of FI for offroad vehicles myself but it is nice on the streets.

adamj2121

Reaction score
I personally think the R is gonna be a no holds barred off road only model that’s limited run and $250k+ just like the Bronco R.
I agree. We already saw the Bronco R and it is a dedicated offroader. I think if the Raptor R happens it will share the same philosophy of the Bronco R. Ford could surprise me and actually release a street legal R, but I am not banking on it.

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there was an article in car and driver back in November. hybrid. 850 hp. but not how much truth to it there is. probably fake news. but thats an interesting option. due to the fact an all electric version wouldn't be so good off-road unless there's a charging station in the woods, desert, trails etc

Attachments

• 0038C601-6E91-4B94-A76F-1AC379FE5FD1.jpeg
    0038C601-6E91-4B94-A76F-1AC379FE5FD1.jpeg
    130.7 KB · Views: 44

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree. We already saw the Bronco R and it is a dedicated offroader. I think if the Raptor R happens it will share the same philosophy of the Bronco R. Ford could surprise me and actually release a street legal R, but I am not banking on it.
bronco raptor is street legal it might be called the warthog. the one that is dedicated racer is the bronco desert racer for I think $250k. at least everything ive read elluded to that. but things change.