San Diego based recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Venerous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very new to off-roading. Picked up a raptor a couple weeks back and looking to get it dirty. Any recommendations would be helpful.

Head east on I8 'til you come across Ocotillo/Plaster City. That's the spot. If you hit El Centro, you've gone too far.

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in San Diego as well. I'm more likely to take 79 to Julian and then 78 down to Anza Borrego/Ocotillo Wells area. There is also an area around Otay and the prison/detention center and a rock crawling area around Alpine, but they all pale in comparison to the desert.

PlainJane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am new also and have found its best to do a little research on Youtube before you go. Most trails in Anza/Borrego are Raptor Friendly, but not all.

I went with regular membership on GAIA GPS and use it on both my phone and an IPAD. GAIA is now CARPLAY friendly so you can use you touch screen.

Troutrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very new to off-roading. Picked up a raptor a couple weeks back and looking to get it dirty. Any recommendations would be helpful.

This is a great site for trails. Didn’t specifically look up what’s available in your area. No matter what, is useful and a ton of fun when traveling around.

https://www.trailsoffroad.com/

Just looked at quick overview...looks like tons of trails not too far out:

38F8FA0C-53EE-4075-8CA5-2CD9C780E1B8.png

baja619

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plaster City is dope!
Superstition has it all.
I love Anza Borrego especially this time of year.

They will all be poppin with beautiful scenery, majestic landscapes and backdrops.
March - April, The spring time blooms will be the icing on the cake.

Here is another website to help plan some trips for the other fellas on this website.
https://where2wheel.com/