Same weak IWE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

r3run33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2017 have the IWF?

I keep creating posts no one responds to :( does any one know if the new 2017 has the IWF for 4wd? Before I sold my Terrain 13 it had the IWF replaced under warranty by dealership; did not want to sell but had to leave home for work and keeping it sit seemed like a bad idea.

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
Yeah the new and improved Raptor will have the IWE weak links.

What I don't know about is the power-steering. Is is electric or hydraulic? I'd to think the electric PS would be better but I've seen they have had issues too. Not as bad as the Raptors PS though so hopefully that will be an improvement.

Deezel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep creating posts no one responds to :( does any one know if the new 2017 has the IWF for 4wd? Before I sold my Terrain 13 it had the IWF replaced under warranty by dealership; did not want to sell but had to leave home for work and keeping it sit seemed like a bad idea.

See pic here:

http://www.caranddriver.com/photo-gallery/2017-ford-f-150-raptor-in-depth-feature#9

Sure looks like the same vacuum actuated IWE to me. I replaced the IWE on my '13 with RCVs sleeves. Immediate 4WD engagement and I haven't noticed any loss in mpg.

There may be some increased wear on the front drivetrain components but I don't think it will be damaging. Everything is basically free spinning without drivetrain powered loading. Numerous other 4WD designs have the cv axles spinning all the time also. There are a few other guys running the RCV sleeves without issue for 20k-30k miles so far.

The IWE is the one disappointment I have with the 2017 raptor. I would be leary of using the same IWE on the new AWD system. Seems that the '12 and up trucks have an increased failure rate due to the front LSD and increased impulse/shock loading. The AWD system they describe being clutch engaged is likely to have even more frequent and increased loading conditions. Hopefully they've sized up the sleeve engagement, improved the vacuum systems propensity to crack/leakdown and gotten rid of the plastic parts of the ring housing.

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
See pic here:

Car and Driver

Sure looks like the same vacuum actuated IWE to me. I replaced the IWE on my '13 with RCVs sleeves. Immediate 4WD engagement and I haven't noticed any loss in mpg.

Sucks Ford didn't improve on this... oh well. If when when (we all know it's when) my IWE's fail I will just do an upgrade. How many miles do you have on the new setup?

Deezel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sucks Ford didn't improve on this... oh well. If when when (we all know it's when) my IWE's fail I will just do an upgrade. How many miles do you have on the new setup?

Only about 1500 miles. So far so good. As long as the cv axles and front diff hold up I can't see a reason not to ditch the IWE. I'm still averaging 14.2 mpg..

There was another member here I talked with that has over 20k miles on his. No issues.

RaptorWifey

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
FRF Lady
Reaction score
This is why I highly recommend the extended warranty. We've got about 25k more miles of replaced IWE's, Stearing pumps/racks, and miscellaneous on Night Raptor (120K) BUt after that we'll upgrade.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is why I highly recommend the extended warranty. We've got about 25k more miles of replaced IWE's, Stearing pumps/racks, and miscellaneous on Night Raptor (120K) BUt after that we'll upgrade.

I have 21k on mine lol I need to drive more.

Deezel

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I do still have an extended warranty. I can not afford to be stranded though. We get lots of deep snow here and I venture out to find new trails many times with my daughters on board.

I still have my stock IWE. just moved the vacuum lines up into the engine bay and sealed them. It would be pretty easy to reinstall if I did have an issue.

I've been thinking about the 2017 truck some more. I'm wondering if they can/will really use the IWE with new "AWD" system. Seems like the IWE would be a very bad way to do this. Hopefully that photo I posted is just pre production and the reuse of old parts. If the AWD system uses clutches like they say I would think the IWE could be abandoned all together... Let us hope this is the case.

Has anyone heard if the truck will have a constant 2WD mode? From what I read it sounded like the truck will by AWD all the time, just with varying terrain modes..

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone heard if the truck will have a constant 2WD mode? From what I read it sounded like the truck will by AWD all the time, just with varying terrain modes..

It will have a dedicated 2wd mode for normal driving in dry conditions.