Safe way to disinfect steering wheel and shifter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tom wansor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My area has seen some infections from the virus and I am sure it will get worse. I am concerned about spreading the virus to my respiratory compromised 82 year old mother. I have been using bleach wipes to clean steering wheel, shifter and switches. Pretty sure bleach isn't best for leather steering wheel. Anyone know of effective alternative that is also safe for interior pieces?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
well.. are you letting her drive? :confused: I love my mom, but... she’s not driving my Raptor, or either of my bikes.

I’d go with alcohol; maybe clean first with a decent cleaner, wipe down again with alcohol solution, hit again with a cleaner conditioner?

You would want to focus on areas she may come in contact with - door handles, grab handle, dash, seats, etc.

Wolfeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't be ridiculous. Just wash or sanitize your hands after you get out of your car and/or before you get it. Clean your interior as normal with regular cleaning products but alcohol or bleach on your interior is going to dry it out or discolor it.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've been using Lysol wipes since day one 9 1/2 years ago not the Clorox ones.
Steering wheel still looks like new.
I clean the interior of the crane when I get in that as well, I go through a canister every 8 to 10 days.

Last edited:

MEATSWORD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wipe my ass with Clorox wipes then use my sanitized ass crack to run my steering wheel back and forth. The gear shift is a tad bigger and takes more time but with enough lube you can make it work.

That's fine for cleaning the outside of the wheel butt what about the inside and around the horn ?

BlacknTan

Reaction score
Mist the wheel with common Lysol spray. Let it dry. It won’t stain your wheel or leave the whites cloth residue that wipes will, and it kills human Coronavirus and most others.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wipe my ass with Clorox wipes then use my sanitized ass crack to run my steering wheel back and forth. The gear shift is a tad bigger and takes more time but with enough lube you can make it work.

You'll find the shifter is easier for you to do if you get the carbon fiber cover. Great job for thinking outside the box!! Don't forget the give rear view mirror and the visors a good rubbing.