SAE Description: Raptor Torsen Front Diff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeerHunter44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool. Thanks for the link. I’ve always wondered if the Raptor T-case is the same one used in Lariat and up F-150s that have 4A capability? This article makes it sound like it is not but I’m not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

II Sevv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The systems are completely different and the Torsen front diff has nothing to do with what makes selectable 4wd and awd different. Full time 4wd functions almost exactly the same as awd but sounds more rugged for marketing purposes. Our trucks use a transfer case where as awd vehicles have a (sometimes lockable) center differential. Having awd actually does much better in situations like snow and ice where you don’t want power to be locked 50/50 front to back as one axle might have more traction and it also allows you to keep stability control and brake vectoring traction control on. The advantage of 4wd (Or a locked center diff in an awd vehicle) is that it forces distribution of power and in a situation where all 4 wheels have very limited traction, an open center diff in an awd vehicle will struggle putting it down.

The torsen front diff simply replaces the pre-facelift open diff in the gen 1 and allows both front wheels to have power in extreme low traction situations.

Some vehicles have a mixture of both. The Mercedes G Wagon has a lockable center differential whereas the 4Runners use a Torsen center differential and a lockable transfer case. Torsen stands for “Torque Sensing” meaning they function as a limited slip differential.

Last edited:

II Sevv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are also a couple more types of systems. There’s haldex AWD (which most crossovers and AWD cars use) which is a front wheel drive system that uses a viscous coupling to send power to the rear wheels once the front wheels experience a given percentage of slip.