Sadly I'm not really feeling the Ford love anymore.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NHbeast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To the OP
Once upon a time my company car POS had a slipping tranny.
Frustrated, I threw it in neutral, rev'ed it, then slipped it into reverse going sixty on a freeway.
Transmission was fine after that. Whatever was loose got tightened.
Go for it!!!
YMMV

Docked Wages

Reaction score
OP, You are not alone. This 17' Raptor is our LAST Ford. My wife begged for this vehicle even though I offered a new Escalade or a new 2500 Denali lifted on 37's. She said the Raptor "Just felt right". Now, not so much. She now wants the Denali because she's tired of the "characteristic" issues.

This is our second F150 in a row that has a characteristic problems that can't seem to be fixed. The hard part to swallow is we bought the top of the line at the time. The other truck is a 2012 F150 Harley Edition that has the VVT rattle on startup and the Shudder from the rear when accelerating from a stop. Dealer said "Characteristic of the Vehicle" and even a VP at Ford was dismayed.

It was disheartening but we've dealt with it.

The hard part is I grew up in a Ford household. Dad was in the Skilled Trades and Mom was an Admin at Ford until they retired. Neighbors all around were Ford people. Current friends are engineers at Ford and specifically on the F150. Heck my former next door neighbor is a VP at Ford so I have a pretty direct link but I'm tired of taking the truck to the dip$hit dealers so I've just given up and accepted that a $75K Raptor is supposed to have a creaking sunroof and a harsh shifting 10 speed transmission.

I've bled Ford Blue from 1985 when I bought my first new Ford and bought one every 3-5 years since but after two junk F150's in a row, Never Ever Again.

Last edited:

Docked Wages

Reaction score
Also if someone knows an attorney that can help me with Ford and recovering some of my money I have spent and not had a vehicle.

Because you are out of the original factory warranty you are now in the hands of the Extended Warranty where things are handled differently. First it's not eligible for Lemon Law. Second ESP is like dealing with an insurance company. They are looking to keep costs as low as possible. Third it's likely the only way you are getting a new trans is if there is a catastrophic failure.

Really nobody at Ford can help now. It's up to ESP and the only thing Ford Customer Service can do is extend goodwill. It's a crappy situation but the very same one I'm in. See my post above.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well today they got a seal in and tried it. It is worse after they tried it than before.

Service advisor admitted that they have no idea what they are going to do next.

I have no idea what to do or who to call. I can't get past the lady at the customer support number.

I am going to just say it like this...... I am at the end of my rope..... I need some help with this issue. I need my truck back. I am making payments every month for a vehicle I haven't had for almost a half of year.

I can't believe that Ford can just keep someone's truck indefinitely.

Please if someone knows a person at Ford that can help. Please contact me. Also if someone knows an attorney that can help me with Ford and recovering some of my money I have spent and not had a vehicle.

If the dealer can't fix it properly then they need to install a complete unit on their own dime. This isn't rocket science here, Ford provides the dealer with the training, Workshop Manual, Service Bulletins, and parts to properly repair a transmission. If they can't do it, they need to make it right regardless. It's the dealership's responsibility to take care of the customer, and that's per the law, not Ford. All OEM's are the same due to dealership franchise laws that the dealers themselves have lobbied for. You have a loaner vehicle, correct?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OP, You are not alone. This 17' Raptor is our LAST Ford. My wife begged for this vehicle even though I offered a new Escalade or a new 2500 Denali lifted on 37's. She said the Raptor "Just felt right". Now, not so much. She now wants the Denali because she's tired of the "characteristic" issues.

This is our second F150 in a row that has a characteristic problems that can't seem to be fixed. The hard part to swallow is we bought the top of the line at the time. The other truck is a 2012 F150 Harley Edition that has the VVT rattle on startup and the Shudder from the rear when accelerating from a stop. Dealer said "Characteristic of the Vehicle" and even a VP at Ford was dismayed.

There is no "characteristic" VVT (VCT) rattle on startup from a 6.2; if a camshaft phaser has failed, which is rare, it needs to be replaced. VCT rattle on start has never been classified as a characteristic. If you hammer the throttle from a stop, especially with a trailer or payload, it's possible for the pinion to deflect enough to result in a driveline vibration. That is not uncommon for any vehicle with rear leaf springs.

It was disheartening but we've dealt with it.

The hard part is I grew up in a Ford household. Dad was in the Skilled Trades and Mom was an Admin at Ford until they retired. Neighbors all around were Ford people. Current friends are engineers at Ford and specifically on the F150. Heck my former next door neighbor is a VP at Ford so I have a pretty direct link but I'm tired of taking the truck to the dip$hit dealers so I've just given up and accepted that a $75K Raptor is supposed to have a creaking sunroof and a harsh shifting 10 speed transmission.

I've bled Ford Blue from 1985 when I bought my first new Ford and bought one every 3-5 years since but after two junk F150's in a row, Never Ever Again.

There is a TSB for the sunroof noise, which is extremely simple and involves applying krytox grease to the seal. As far as the transmission, a TSB was released for 2017 models within a certain build date range that updates the software to resolve shifting concerns.

Docked Wages

Reaction score
There is no "characteristic" VVT (VCT) rattle on startup from a 6.2; if a camshaft phaser has failed, which is rare, it needs to be replaced. VCT rattle on start has never been classified as a characteristic. If you hammer the throttle from a stop, especially with a trailer or payload, it's possible for the pinion to deflect enough to result in a driveline vibration. That is not uncommon for any vehicle with rear leaf springs.

There is a TSB for the sunroof noise, which is extremely simple and involves applying krytox grease to the seal. As far as the transmission, a TSB was released for 2017 models within a certain build date range that updates the software to resolve shifting concerns.

Ford Tech,

Your contributions are very highly valued and as I've said in other threads I only wish you or your twin worked in Central Florida. Maybe I'd feel differently if someone as diligent as you was in charge of our vehicles.

We've owned the 2012 Harley F150 6.2 since new ($50K sticker back then) and although intermittent it still does it regularly since about 20,000 miles. Oil is motorcraft and filter is FL820S so that's not it. We've tried every viscosity the brand has to no avail and now we just use the 5/20 all of the time. We live in Florida so cold isn't the problem as it never gets below 37 degrees here. The truck spent WEEKS at the dealer and they said the intermittent noise was acceptable and it was "characteristic" of the vehicle. Their words not mine. At least 50 potential customers have heard the noise when the truck starts. Some even ask if it's ok and we tell them Ford says it's normal.

The 2012 Super Crew rear springs were a problem from day one. Even under light accel from a light the thing would shudder. Took my 80 year old neighbor and his wife to dinner once so I was driving as calm as possible and she asked if the truck was ok because it was shaking. I was driving like an old lady and it still did it. Again, WEEKS at the dealer for new springs, new u-joints, new drive shaft and they even tried a Raptor trans mount because it was supposedly stiffer to no avail. It shuddered 100% of the time, trailer or not. Like you, I knew it was axle wrap even under the lightest load and acceleration conditions. To prove the point with the Ford engineer that was looking at the truck I demonstrated the condition then clamped the bottom part of the springs with C-Clamps and the problem stopped instantly. They admitted they did not have a fix for that condition. I solved the problem on my own with a set of Stiffler traction bars years ago. Never shuddered again.

Also need to add that the 2012 has already had rust perforation up by the CHMSL. Apparently water can collect behind it if it was not assembled properly. We've owned the truck since new and it's never needed to be taken apart yet Ford blamed that on us.

The 2012 at literally 101 miles out of warranty had the fuel pump fuse melt and caused a no-start. The problem is so common that they have a Kit to relocate the fuse in the box.

The 2017 Raptor spent 3 weeks at the dealer in November-December for the creaking sunroof (right rear) to no avail. The Lube TSB you mention has been done multiple times and the track was replaced. Same Creak was in the truck when I picked it up. I never left the parking lot and had the service manager come out and sit in the right rear seat. We moved 5 feet forward and back and he heard it repeatedly clear as a bell. Two weeks later they said they don't know what to do and said they would need to disassemble the interior to try and find it. With zero confidence we decided that we did not want them taking our truck apart as we're afraid it would come back with more squeaks and rattles. I'll figure that one out myself someday when I have time.

The 2017 Raptor did have the TSB performed back in November of 2020 after the harsh shifting developed out of nowhere at 52K miles. It's now doing it again less than 1000 miles later. Wait list for the "Trans Guy" at my dealer is a month so we get to spend another month with this $75K truck slam shifting itself. Who knows how long it will be tied up at the dealer again this time.

My wife finally agrees that these will be our last Fords.

FWIW, I don't drive these trucks as I prefer driving my cars and I drive them like they are stolen regularly. One is a 2014 Camaro 2SS LS3/Manual with 50K on it. Only time it was ever in for repair was for a headlight replacement because an LED in the halo stopped working. The other is a 2013 CTS-V wagon with 57K and the only thing it has ever gotten was the supercharger pulley replaced because it rattled. Both cars were each in and out of the dealer on the same day.

If anything should be spending time at the dealer it's my cars that I flog regularly not the "Ford Tough" trucks driven daily by my wife and daughter. It's a running joke in our house that I beat on the cars and they just come back for more.

I'll pass on discussing the Expedition that was bought back under Lemon Law for water leaks or the Mustang that couldn't keep 3rd gear in one piece and they bought that one back too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rabtech

rabtech

Reaction score
I did get it back for 5 days.

When I picked it up on the way home I noticed the rear end sounded like it had a slight roar coming from it. But it was slight enough that I just thought it could be me just noticing things that were normal.

I also noticed when I put it in 4wd and shifted from Reverse to Drive or Neutral to Drive or Park it made a super loud slapping bang noise. It had never done this before. I rarely use 4wd because I have to... but I do put it in 4wd and ride through the national forest just to keep things rotating. I was just checking it out before I took it to SC that weekend. I called the dealer and he said to go ahead with the trip because it was just doing it when it went into 4wd. But to bring it back and let them check it when i got back.

During that weekend I carried my Polaris Slingshot to Piedmont SC. On the way the transmission shot all the way over to the hottest position and the transmission started puking fluid all over the place and smoking like it was on fire. This happened in just an minute. I pulled over and the temp went back to normal. However the fluid was splattered all over the tailgate and bumper. And it was on the rockguard of the trailer. It was also puddled up under the truck. I went on to SC and came back with no other events.

So now the truck has been at the dealer for another few weeks and it has parts ordered for the rear chunk, the transfer case, and they haven't diagnosed the transmission issue yet. So that will be even longer.

Remember it went into the shop November 9th 2020..... And its still there....

I will get the new notes and parts list and post them soon. Here are some pics of the transmission fluid on the ground and back of the truck. I also included the trailer I was pulling. It is sad that I cant even pull this tiny bit of weight...

I honestly just need some help on how to deal with Ford at this point. My local attorney is good at what he does but dealing with an auto issue like this isn't his cup of tea. Hell I will pay for someone to to help me find the correct attorney. I just wont to be compensated for my aggravation and my money I'm paying for a raptor that I cant drive. I also am loosing warranty time during this issue.

I absolutely do not trust it anymore. NO ONE WOULD. Warranties are great if they fix the issue.. But this truck has had the bolts run in and out so many times that they have to be getting worn out. Now every time i see a 1270.00 payment auto drafted I just cant stand it. There has to be someone that knows an attorney that could help. I would just google it but I hate to get someone that just has a better google advertising budget. I need someone that has seen this type of problem before and can get something done soon.

20210405_065019 (1).jpg

20210405_065045.jpg

20210405_064933.jpg

Last edited:

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Call Ford customer service and request a buyback. They can say no depending on state law, but they can say yes because it's an embarrassment to the company even if state law says that they don't have to. It might help to get your dealer behind you. If he tells Ford that they need to buy it back, it might carry some weight.

OP
OP
rabtech

rabtech

Reaction score
If the dealer can't fix it properly then they need to install a complete unit on their own dime. This isn't rocket science here, Ford provides the dealer with the training, Workshop Manual, Service Bulletins, and parts to properly repair a transmission. If they can't do it, they need to make it right regardless. It's the dealership's responsibility to take care of the customer, and that's per the law, not Ford. All OEM's are the same due to dealership franchise laws that the dealers themselves have lobbied for. You have a loaner vehicle, correct?

Yea, I have a loaner vehicle....There is no other way to reply to this except sarcastically. I'm sorry but its just how I feel.

I sure do like driving a $45,000.00 truck while I'm paying every month for an $86,000 truck. I also really like moving my shit from one vehicle to another each time they want to swap loaner vehicles. I also like baking in the sun while I am stopped doing my daily work notes since I have no ceramic tinted windows like my Raptor does. I also like having to prop my laptop on the steering wheel and my stomach to work from inside the truck. That could be why I installed a RAM laptop holder that swivels over for me to work off of. OHHHHH OHHH I almost forgot the one big thing that really ****** me off. I also like my knee hurting like hell every time I get in this truck with the fixed position running boards. Especially since I have $1500.00 ActionTrac Powered Running Boards on my raptor so I don't have to stretch my knee out of shape. Literally every time I get in a loaner truck my knee reminds me how shiitty having a loaner truck is. AND how shiitty my Ford Raptor is.

I have had my knee cleaned out. It doesn't help having to twist up into the loaner every time i get in.

20201209_042951.jpg 20210228_183017.jpg 20210228_183023.jpg

Last edited: