Sadly I'm not really feeling the Ford love anymore.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shooters1380

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If Ford won't buy it back, trade it in for something else. Life is too short to put up with this shit.
I’m with Gordo here. I mean it sounds like you’ve hung in and done what you needed to do to get the thing fixed but at this point the amount of aggravation it’s causing just isn’t worth it.

When a vehicle becomes unreliable then your anxiety level shoots up because your waiting for it to fail again. If Ford were to fix it, would you ever feel like you could take that truck out for a camping trip in the middle of nowhere? Probably not. Dump that bitch and get your remaining ESP back. May not be much because they pro rate it but should be something. Nothing worse then an unreliable vehicle, accept maybe an ex wife.

And I feel for you here because I’ve been thru something similar on a F350 dually diesel. Get out of it and get something different

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KAH 24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@fordtech one is correct regarding OEM dealer franchise laws.

Using my OEM as an example, I’d say that continuing to harass the manufacturer is not the course that I’d recommend. The dealership did the work and is accountable. I remember a case escalating to me 2 years ago where a long-time brand customer (not of the dealership that botched the work) experienced transfer case issues in a the full time 4wd system. The dealership (whom was retired and sold voluntarily to new ownership—as we were going to strip him due to several issues) botched the repair.

I personally followed the history. We paid for repair after repair, but the initial failed/botched repair is what led me/my team tell the dealership—eat it, you broke it. I feel for the customer whom I never met as this dragged on far longer than it should. He did get plenty of loaner vehicles over time (at least 8 per my recollection)—but as you know, there is nothing like driving your own pride & joy.

The mistake that some make is saying that this is an embarrassment to FoMoCo (any OEM). No, it is an embarrassment to the dealership.

@rabtech it is up to you to decide whether or not the cost of legal action has the likelihood of being worth it from a financial standpoint. I can’t predict the percentage likelihood of success for two reasons:

1. Quality of attorneys with experience in such matters vary significantly.
2. I personally don’t know all the details of your situation and the dealership perspective. Please note: I am sure you are 100% honest here—but no one can even foster a guess of the likelihood of legal success (not even an honest attorney).
NOTE: My wife is an attorney (not in this area), but knows a good amount about representing corporations/large businesses. Based on hearing the fascinating situations she’s dealt with—I tend to be biased in my belief that the consumer has a burden of proof in situations such as this. Again, it is simply my bias from experience—and from that of the brains of my family (my wife).

Sir, I genuinely wish you the best in this as it has been going on for quite some time. I understand you “not feeling the love” for Ford—but I hope you shift the frustration mostly in the direction of the dealership where it does belong.

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Same tech that worked on it the first time is working on it this time.

As inexpensive as a transmission cost Ford to build they should have just sent a new transmission the first time. And they definitely should have sent one the second time. And now that it still isn't repaired after 3 months you would think that they would have automatically sent them a new transmission.

Why they keep ******** around with the insides of the transmission is absolutely baffling to me.

This job could have been completed in less than a week if Ford would have just sent a transmission to the dealer and swapped it out.

@rabtech

I had to dig back a little because it’s been so long.
At some point along the way, there was a defect with your truck. This defect spawned a visit to your local / chosen stealership, who has underperformed at your expense.

Regardless of whether it’s the defect or tech, it started with the defect. Ford owns this issue with you. Whatever Ford does to recover money from failed repair attempts should not be your problem.

Your stealership may have some contributing problems, but this all started with the defect. Either the assembly itself is defective, or, the individual repair procedure cannot be practically implemented by a technician of average intelligence or certification. Whatever else there is, it shouldn’t be your problem.

Suing is an option that you’re rapidly coming to see as financially viable, for the reasons you’ve articulated here, but I’d point out it will immediately halt any negotiating ability you may have. Your path of least resistance is to work through the dealer.

I’d suggest:
1) lobby for a replacement transmission via the service manager. With small dealers, you can interact with the owner. These franchises tend to be a little more responsive to failed repairs like this, particularly for family or repeat customers. I’d do this in person.
2) If you get resistance to this idea, bring your lawyer in, purely on a collaboration basis ; you’re not suing here. You’re trying to get an objective and legally savvy person involved to advocate for you.
3) this one is usually not well received, but worth a try - ask Ford CS to help get your assemblage of parts that used to be a running truck to a competent repair facility, rather than the trained monks currently swinging hammers on your ride. I think you make a compelling case they can’t fix it.

4) if the above 3 options don’t work out and you’re continuing to engage with Ford CS
- decision time.
you can either sue under the lemon law depending on the state laws you have to deal with
or
try to work out a trade in compensating your for this epic customer service failure.

Lemon laws end any negotiating outside of corporate counsel for 3 to 18 months and the corp counsel team has nothing but time on their hands. Definitely try to get traction without suing if possible, it’s better for everyone most of the time.

Azrael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did get it back for 5 days.

When I picked it up on the way home I noticed the rear end sounded like it had a slight roar coming from it. But it was slight enough that I just thought it could be me just noticing things that were normal.

I also noticed when I put it in 4wd and shifted from Reverse to Drive or Neutral to Drive or Park it made a super loud slapping bang noise. It had never done this before. I rarely use 4wd because I have to... but I do put it in 4wd and ride through the national forest just to keep things rotating. I was just checking it out before I took it to SC that weekend. I called the dealer and he said to go ahead with the trip because it was just doing it when it went into 4wd. But to bring it back and let them check it when i got back.

During that weekend I carried my Polaris Slingshot to Piedmont SC. On the way the transmission shot all the way over to the hottest position and the transmission started puking fluid all over the place and smoking like it was on fire. This happened in just an minute. I pulled over and the temp went back to normal. However the fluid was splattered all over the tailgate and bumper. And it was on the rockguard of the trailer. It was also puddled up under the truck. I went on to SC and came back with no other events.

So now the truck has been at the dealer for another few weeks and it has parts ordered for the rear chunk, the transfer case, and they haven't diagnosed the transmission issue yet. So that will be even longer.

Remember it went into the shop November 9th 2020..... And its still there....

I will get the new notes and parts list and post them soon. Here are some pics of the transmission fluid on the ground and back of the truck. I also included the trailer I was pulling. It is sad that I cant even pull this tiny bit of weight...

I honestly just need some help on how to deal with Ford at this point. My local attorney is good at what he does but dealing with an auto issue like this isn't his cup of tea. Hell I will pay for someone to to help me find the correct attorney. I just wont to be compensated for my aggravation and my money I'm paying for a raptor that I cant drive. I also am loosing warranty time during this issue.

I absolutely do not trust it anymore. NO ONE WOULD. Warranties are great if they fix the issue.. But this truck has had the bolts run in and out so many times that they have to be getting worn out. Now every time i see a 1270.00 payment auto drafted I just cant stand it. There has to be someone that knows an attorney that could help. I would just google it but I hate to get someone that just has a better google advertising budget. I need someone that has seen this type of problem before and can get something done soon.

View attachment 167117

View attachment 167118

View attachment 167119

This is the point to call it. Get out if it ASAP while prices are stupid-high right now. Unload that thing, and get something different until Ford does something different...... Raptor R at the minimum. You need a different drivetrain. Maybe a Powerstroke or Duramax?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is the point to call it. Get out if it ASAP while prices are stupid-high right now. Unload that thing, and get something different until Ford does something different...... Raptor R at the minimum. You need a different drivetrain. Maybe a Powerstroke or Duramax?

Why are you claiming he “needs a different powertrain”? The issue is that his dealer is improperly repairing his vehicle and clearly has workmanship issues. Raptor R will use the same transmission; you aren’t making any sense.

For all of the poor customer service the dealership has provided, they should trade it out for him at market value and deal with their workmanship issues on their own time.

KAH 24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why are you claiming he “needs a different powertrain”? The issue is that his dealer is improperly repairing his vehicle and clearly has workmanship issues. Raptor R will use the same transmission; you aren’t making any sense.

For all of the poor customer service the dealership has provided, they should trade it out for him at market value and deal with their workmanship issues on their own time.

All. @FordTechOne and I do not always agree. I respect him and disagree when he is off the mark—which he clearly does as well to all

On this he is 100% on point. It is the dealership. It is not Ford. I do not work for Ford—but based on the thread, Ford did everything correctly.

FACTS as an OEM.

NOTE: Again, accepting customer at face value. Assuming 100% of what we know is true in this thread.

1. Dealership received authorization for OEM repairs (multiple times). They didn’t get it fixed. Good for the dealership as they were reimbursed.

2. Dealership did not fix the issue despite taking the money from OEM corporate. If dealership deemed “unfixable” they likely didn’t communicate that to OEM (that happens).

3. Dealership pays, not OEM. 100%. That is the law.

NOTE: This doesn’t apply with the gentleman who is suffering (whom has a 100% stock vehicle and towed only a little toy behind it, but otherwise never put larger tires/lift/ECU modification of any type).

I will keep repeating this: If anyone puts larger tires, tuning which altered anything in ECU (engine/transmission are all controlled by), any lift, or anything not part of truck being 100% factory, warranty down to the letter—dealership doesn’t owe anything either. Please note the ECUs are far more capable of capturing data than imagined—if push comes to shove in things involving legal intervention (which is within the right to withhold until legal intervention occurs).

KAH 24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@rabtech

I had to dig back a little because it’s been so long.
At some point along the way, there was a defect with your truck. This defect spawned a visit to your local / chosen stealership, who has underperformed at your expense.

Regardless of whether it’s the defect or tech, it started with the defect. Ford owns this issue with you. Whatever Ford does to recover money from failed repair attempts should not be your problem.

Your stealership may have some contributing problems, but this all started with the defect. Either the assembly itself is defective, or, the individual repair procedure cannot be practically implemented by a technician of average intelligence or certification. Whatever else there is, it shouldn’t be your problem.

Suing is an option that you’re rapidly coming to see as financially viable, for the reasons you’ve articulated here, but I’d point out it will immediately halt any negotiating ability you may have. Your path of least resistance is to work through the dealer.

I’d suggest:
1) lobby for a replacement transmission via the service manager. With small dealers, you can interact with the owner. These franchises tend to be a little more responsive to failed repairs like this, particularly for family or repeat customers. I’d do this in person.
2) If you get resistance to this idea, bring your lawyer in, purely on a collaboration basis ; you’re not suing here. You’re trying to get an objective and legally savvy person involved to advocate for you.
3) this one is usually not well received, but worth a try - ask Ford CS to help get your assemblage of parts that used to be a running truck to a competent repair facility, rather than the trained monks currently swinging hammers on your ride. I think you make a compelling case they can’t fix it.

4) if the above 3 options don’t work out and you’re continuing to engage with Ford CS
- decision time.
you can either sue under the lemon law depending on the state laws you have to deal with
or
try to work out a trade in compensating your for this epic customer service failure.

Lemon laws end any negotiating outside of corporate counsel for 3 to 18 months and the corp counsel team has nothing but time on their hands. Definitely try to get traction without suing if possible, it’s better for everyone most of the time.

@smurfslayer

Sadly as an OEM I do not see where the Ford 10r180 has a history of defects. Track record on the Raptor is solid.

I’m viewing this 100% through my biased eyes as an OEM—in that we cannot see the entire story (even though the consumer may be portraying this accurately, we can’t see the entire picture).

What I see is the dealership owns this based on what we see in this thread—and I feel for him if this is a 100% accurate depiction (which I believe it is).

Hope the individual gets this resolved to satisfaction.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Sadly as an OEM I do not see where the Ford 10r180 has a history of defects. Track record on the Raptor is solid.

I’m viewing this 100% through my biased eyes as an OEM—in that we cannot see the entire story (even though the consumer may be portraying this accurately, we can’t see the entire picture).

100% agree with you. I meant --this guy’s-- transmission. I had to go back in his post history and at some point, he had a problem which the stealership mangled badly. Sure, statistically, 10R80 is solid. Are there problems? sure. Are there lots of problems? No. My experience has been it’s a good transmission and it’s been solid for me. I think the bulk of the Raptor community would agree.

What I see is the dealership owns this based on what we see in this thread—and I feel for him if this is a 100% accurate depiction (which I believe it is).

The dealership here certainly has brought on a bunch of this poor customer experience for sure, but the guy is under warranty - as I recall, Ford Tech support required the tear down of the transmission, not the replacement, then doubled down again requiring subsequent investigation and component repairs. At this point, he absolutely could have had a replacement transmission assembly installed for less cost to both Ford and the dealership and a SIGNIFICANT reduction in downtime for the customer.

Now, either the stealership is lying about this and they’re super shady, or, they followed Ford’s guidance and were not able to successfully complete the repair properly - across multiple attempts.

Is all of this delay the dealer’s fault? Ford’s fault? Shared blame?
Warranty doesn’t amount to a hill of beans if the dealer(s) can’t actually fix the problem.

His point is, he’s the consumer/customer without his truck. What happened to the customer being right?

The sasquatch77 is strong in that one.

Jonesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally I would call that dealership and schedule an appointment with the GM and sit down with him/her and go through every receipt with painstaking thoroughness. Include having a calendar indicating times he/she have had your truck and failed to repair and politely/firmly insist on being made whole through a trade or buyout or whatever. Use the overwhelmingly negative data/health issues you have collected to be your ‘lawyer’. If unsuccessful/unable the next time you get that rig back go to any other available dealer or brand and trade it.

Either way divorce this truck and start over. You married a crazy/broken raptor. Dump her and get one who’ll treat you right. Since this dealership is apparently fundamentally incompetent I can’t recommend doing business with them again so another Ford probably shouldn’t be in your future as much as I hate to contemplate such.