GEN 2 S1 backup lights install part II - running wire to engine compartment inside the frame

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Palmetto_Raptor

Palmetto_Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
more...

022.jpg

024.jpg

025.jpg

Here's a link to the 6-pin Deutch connector with pigtails. I had originally planned connecting to the upfitter wires using single pin Weather Pack connectors but I changed by mind after thinking about the chance of plugging the wrong plug in and blowing a fuse. Could see this happening if for some reason a mechanic unplugged the wires to get to something and plugged them back in wrong.

So I decided on a 6-pin plug that could only be plugged in one way. I originally planned on using a 6-pin Weather Pack connector until I tried plugging up a 6-pin Weather Pack connector. The 6-pin Weather Pack connectors require a lot of force to plug-in and unplug and could see a mechanic straining to uplug that plug, slipping, and ripping out one of those hair thin 5amp upfitter wires Ford used.

The Deutch 6-pin plug on the other hand is more compact and plugs in and locks with very little force required. Here's a link to the Deutch 6-pin connector with pigtails.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FTDS23L/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

026.jpg

You might could buy your wire and find a mechanic to put a 2-pin Weather Pack connector on one end for less than buying the OEM tool and their may be vendors that have a harness with a Weather Pack connector on just one end if you don't want to try and have one made up.

027.jpg

I was happy with how the install looked and it works great. I have my S1's tapped to the passenger side corner backup lights and have them wired to an upfitter switch so I can switch them on even when I'm not backing up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Palmetto_Raptor

Palmetto_Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Amazing write up and photos, this needs to be a sticky!!

Also really clean underside lol

I'm waiting for someone to ding my door before I take it in the mud:)

Only problem is, those grit covered running boards are too high for most car doors to hit my doors without hitting the running boards!

Refugio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great job and pics.
I pulled the wire thru the frame as well but was able to do it in one long single pull. Saves a little time