S&B CAI install - Dry Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jackjare9455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today, I got my S&B CAI kit in the mail. I had been wanting to replace the INJEN CAI that came with my truck from the previous owner. It looked like crap, the connectors were dry rotted, it just looked like a old setup that I couldn't even find on the net anymore.
I was going to give my impressions from the install of the S&B.

Removal was pretty straight forward. CAI kits are generally easier to remove than stock systems. It went together very easy, the steps wanted you to connect both pipes together early on, but they kept coming apart since they were not supposed to be tightened yet, so I left them apart until I went to install it, made that easier for sure. The tube is much wider at the filter, and there is a depression in the tube that is designed so it doesn't hit your stock power steering reservoir cap. Although, it makes it a little more troublesome to get the cap off and check it, compared to the old CAI I had. This is not a big issue for me, just thought I would mention it.

The stock plastic "fender intake" that you have to remove from the factory airbox bottom, to install a larger rubber one, was a PITA to get off. I ended up just jamming some flat blade screw drivers in to open up some room to finally pop it out. That was probably the most difficult part of the whole job. And I don't even want to use the word "difficult" on a CAI install, but if I had to choose the step, that would be the one.

I do like that the tube is in two separate pieces. I feel like this makes it easier to install/re-install if you have to remove it. The rubber boots were not overly tight, and slid right on with a gentle wiggle. I have had intakes in the past have super tight connections, making it a PITA to get them back on and everything clamped back up. I had read where a user installed the intake and used brass fitting instead of the provided plastic ones. I can see the benefit to this upgrade after a few years of heat cycles, but I just used the supplied ones for now. The fittings had metal inserts, so you didn't have to thread into a blank plastic hole, so that was nice. The kit was just overall nice! I am impressed and have always been impressed with S&B products. If you are on the fence, pull the trigger, you won't be disapointed.

Performance: I never notice any gains with these, just sound. But, I already had a CAI kit on there. I don't think it is as loud as the more "open" element from the INJEN, but that's fine with me. I would rather have looks and quality anyday.
Here are some before and after pics:

truck 3.jpg
truck 4.jpg

OP
OP
jackjare9455

jackjare9455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the filter a true dry filter? Is it flat or conical like the cia you replaced?

It’s a true dry filter, no oil. And it is more of an oval shaped filter.

If you zoom in and look through the plexi-glass window on the intake, you can see the filter itself.