Rusting Raptor Rocker panels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My outside protection

Sprayed the crap out of the bottom of the truck. Once dry, used a pro quality undercoating and a small hose to spray inside the holes behind the tape with a light coating so as not to plug the drain holes. Then undercoated everything I could reach under the door sills. Used a tape product that I got from Fastenal - same stuff they sell for slip protection - cut it to size and made my own rocker protectors. Sticks good. Resists fading. Cheap to replace if needed. Whole project only cost me about $150.00. Way cheaper and better than dealing with all these repairs and dealing with the big 3's ********. 30,000 miles in Illinois and no issues yet.

Attachments

• IMG_0484.jpg
    IMG_0484.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_0485.jpg
    IMG_0485.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 253

SVTanthony

Reaction score
On a side note, to protect the bottom, inside weld seam on the doors, I have had success with Plasti-dip. I cleaned it well and let it all dry. Then, I plasti-dipped the whole area. Works nice and nothing sticks to it. It stays clean all the time now. I also did this in the same inner seam at the bottom of the tailgate.

dhollist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any appetite for a kit that would include all of the correct rubber plugs to seal all of the rocker panel holes properly, replacing the relatively ineffective tape squares?

The kit would consist of all 28 round and oval rubber plugs (5 different part numbers) for a Super Crew, a few less pieces for Super or Regular Cab trucks.

I spent way too much time finding plugs that fit properly, but the result is quite good IMHO. As you can see from the pictures, my rocker panels are now fully sealed except for the drains and the cutouts behind the running board brackets. I also coated the rockers inside and out with LPS heavy duty rust inhibitor, but you could use Fluid Film, Cosmoline Weathershed, or any rust inhibitor or undercoating spray you prefer.

The end result is that I was able to seal my rocker panels to keep salt and water out, and I think everyone with an 2009-2014 Raptor (or even a standard F-150) would benefit from this easy upgrade.

Cost is yet to be finalized, but I'm trying to keep it to $99.00 including shipping (USPS priority mail).

This is just an idea at this point, but it took a fair amount of time to find all of the correct size plugs, and if someone had previously offered all of the right parts as a kit, I would have saved a lot of time.

Thoughts?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424779725.646199.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424779764.600016.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424779829.648024.jpg

All the best,
Dave

Last edited:

dhollist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got enough of the parts on order for 10 kits, so if there is enough interest, I'll offer those initially in order to see how the price point works out. Once that is sorted out, I will hopefully be able to offer the kits in the For Sale section of the forum. The goal is to help other Raptor owners avoid the dreaded "rocker rot" with all of the parts they need in a single, reasonably priced kit.

All the best,
Dave