Rusting Raptor Rocker panels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fldaqa.jpg

Unfortunately I noticed a hole just like this on mine. Never noticed it before and this thread made me want to go out and take a look. Sure enough there is a nice size hole underneath my passenger rear door in the rocker. Everywhere else looks ok.

Because my truck is a 2012 and the rust has perforated through the metal I should be able to get this fixed under warranty? I will post pics

This sucks, not much I can do at this point to prevent it since it has already penetrated, especially going into winter. I've been working on rust proofing everything underneath on the frame to prevent this very thing from happening, but didnt notice the hole on the rocker. I can flush out the rockers and put new tape over the holes that was mentioned earlier in this thread, but I'm past the prevention stage at this point. Not sure if I should cover the rust hole with gorilla tape to prevent salt from touching it or leave it be? :mad::mad:

Last edited:

DrippinRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
fldaqa.jpg

Because my truck is a 2012 and the rust has perforated through the metal I should be able to get this fixed under warranty? I will post pics

It all depends on your production date. Mine was built in Jan 2012 so I am still under the 5 year warranty, at least that's what the dealer said.

R1jamn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in a very mild climate here in the Los Angeles area and the rust is not an issue.
However, replacing the Ford OEM tape on the rocker panels is still a maintenance item.
It was a great day to complete this project as it was a bright sunny day with the outside temperature at a perfect 72 deg F.

Every piece of Ford OEM tape had started to lose adhesion.

IMG_3424_zpsnzdzysnq.jpg

IMG_3422_zps9hshpn7x.jpg

Parked the Raptor in a sunny warm spot.
IMG_3410_zpsxg97sdrb.jpg

Set the Gorilla tape inside the cabin for an hour so it would be warm and sticky
IMG_3411_zpsaqhhd2hy.jpg

Set-up some basic tools and supplies.
IMG_3420_zpscs83sz0o.jpg

Job completed.
IMG_3430_zpswav7ub1v.jpg

IMG_3433_zpse9r6vsmk.jpg

Should be good for a couple of years now.

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, do you even drive your truck? Even sand/rock should do something to that underside.

I did find actually 3 more openings not related to the access holes. 2 in the front area and 1 at the very back. Probably not that big a deal, the odds of something getting in there.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
there is drains formed into the inner rocker panel. If you look from underneath there is drains formed into the inner panel. rectangle shaped in this pic..

3d1308362860-duct-tape-rocker-panels-really-railp1.jpg

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just about to do my rocker restore. What do you guys recommend for sanding inside between the 2 sheetmetal pieces? Obviously sandblasting would be the ultimate but what alternative? Thinking just sandpaper what I can get to.

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally took the weekend and did it. I was kind of winging it on prep and stuff but hopefully it last awhile.

I scuffed up with 40 grit for prep before 3 coats of chassis saver. Then seam sealed the join but left the drain points. Tried cleaning the seam with a wire brush as much as possible but I imagine media blasting would've been optimal. And then scuffed with 80 grit and did a final 6 coats of EZ liner.

20170313_150454_zpsrzzviy3c.jpg

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'd put a bunch of something inside the rocker- fluid film, oil, some type of rust preventative. I'll be treating mine soon. I like to hit anything visable with a rust converter first to stop it, then use the paints to seal it up.