Rusting Raptor Rocker panels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WeaponX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If anybody wants to try to get rubber plugs for these holes, here is a list of what you would need for a SCab (Screw likely would need a few more)

2 x 3/4" round
6 x 1 1/2" round
6 x 1 3/4" x 1" rectangular (for sidestep holes - yes there are three each side)
4 x 7/16" round (for unused sidestep mounting holes)
2 x 2" x 1" oval
2 x 1" x 3/4" oval

This list is for the rocker holes only and does not cover the floor holes that Dave (the OP of the plug kit idea) was worried about. IMO those are likely to be better left open as they are at the lowest point of a cavity. It also does not cover the taped under carpet floor hole.

Hope this helps - I am going to look into getting some plugs together for my own use.

Anybody have any idea where to source the rectangular and oval plugs? I searched, but can't come up with anything.

Mick VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody have any idea where to source the rectangular and oval plugs? I searched, but can't come up with anything.
I never found any for the square ones in the end. I did find the ovals, I also discovered that the 1.5" are not quite 1.5" Anybody looking for these plugs should take my measurements above as a guide and re-measure their own ion METRIC!

I used these https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/sealing-plug-priced-each/1k0899185/ for the "1.5 inch"

and these https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/body-seal-priced-each/n90508801/ for the larger oval holes

for the smaller round holes I picked up a handful of various sizes from amazon

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My plan is to hit the inside hard with film fluid, which I've used on all my seams, then sanding and try and paint por15 inside seam and along rocker. Then gorilla tape.

Do the Fluid film last. No paint will work once that stuff is in there.

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the Fluid film last. No paint will work once that stuff is in there.

Good point, already sprayed though. I have prep cleaner that I'll use, and por15 digs into metal/rust like non other.

Didn't really look at anything other then the seam opening that shows rust but did notice some paint starting to bubble way up almost near the door edge. Which is weird cause looking inside looks mint yet. Maybe just coincidence.

DrippinRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My truck is back in the shop for the 3rd time in under a year getting rust repair done. The passenger side was 'fixed' back in January.

These pictures below are from the driver side which was just fixed 2 weeks ago.

52c3ro.jpg

fldaqa.jpg

These next pictures are what the Passenger side that was fixed 10 months ago looks like now. The dealership said they messed up on the repair and either didn't paint or prep it correctly. So I dropped it off yesterday (3rd time) to hopefully fix it for good.

x3v9ep.jpg

2vvrwp2.jpg

The worst part of this is my truck has been in the shop over a month (combined rust repairs) and even though it's covered under warranty, FORD denies me a loaner.

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 PM ----------

Mine is starting to rust through.
Anyone know what the rust warranty is on our trucks?
@Yukon Joe :baby: :baby: :baby:
Drive your raptor here!!!!
Great Lakes Raptor Excursions (GLRE) | Run Raptor Run
( * Y * )

Rust warranty is 5 years. But it ONLY covered if there is visible perforation.

Last edited:

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My truck is back in the shop for the 3rd time in under a year getting rust repair done. The passenger side was 'fixed' back in January.

52c3ro.jpg

fldaqa.jpg

These next pictures are what the Passenger side that was fixed 10 months ago looks like now. The dealership said they messed up on the repair and either didn't paint or prep it correctly. So I dropped it off yesterday (3rd time) to hopefully fix it for good.

x3v9ep.jpg

2vvrwp2.jpg

The worst part of this is my truck has been in the shop over a month (combined rust repairs) and even though it's covered under warranty, FORD denies me a loaner.

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 PM ----------

Wow, that looks bad.
So it has to be rusted completely through like in your first picture?
www.runraptorrun.com
( * Y * )

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score

52c3ro.jpg

fldaqa.jpg

x3v9ep.jpg

2vvrwp2.jpg

DrippinRaptor, if you peak through one of he access holes at the backside wall, is it rust colored or still the grey factory primer look? Trying to gauge the direction mines heading.

DrippinRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
DrippinRaptor, if you peak through one of he access holes at the backside wall, is it rust colored or still the grey factory primer look? Trying to gauge the direction mines heading.

Sure, I'll take a look whenever I get it back.

---------- Post added at 09:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 AM ----------

Wow, that looks bad.
So it has to be rusted completely through like in your first picture?
Great Lakes Raptor Excursions (GLRE) | Run Raptor Run
( * Y * )

Yes, no visible perforation, no warranty claim. So says Ford Customer Service and the Ford Dealers.

DrippinRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well, I got my truck back yesterday. Ford decided to repaint and reseal the driver side which was just fixed 2 weeks ago instead of the passenger side which was full of rust. The body shop manager apologized and said it was his fault for telling them the wrong side, but now my truck has to go back to the body shop for the 4th time this year.

The dealer General Manager is about to get a nasty email from me. If they want to keep me as a Ford customer the need to make this right.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't know why they half-assed it in the first place. Plenty of people replace the entire outer rocker panel on their own trucks as total amateurs and do a great job.

They already had the doors off and access to a fully stocked body shop- there was no reason not to cut the spot welds and pull the whole panel and replace it with an OE Ford panel. Cutting out the bad and custom forming new? That HAD to take longer than the correct method.

No wonder it's rusting months later too, you know whatever piece of sheet metal they used as a patch was not as well protected from corrosion as the OE metal.

Unbelievable really- the whole shitshow.