Rusted exhaust tips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brad_hartpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I “sanded” mine with scotchbrite pads, wiped down with solvent then sprayed with a couple coats of matte finish black high temp paint. Been a couple months and still looks better than stock.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine have faded a little but look better than expected after 3 Maine winters.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I “sanded” mine with scotchbrite pads, wiped down with solvent then sprayed with a couple coats of matte finish black high temp paint. Been a couple months and still looks better than stock.

I did the same on mine. I used Rustoleum Pro enamel in matte black. Gen 1 tips are right behind the tire so they get blasted by debris bad, but it's been holding up fine.

ljn21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I did the same on mine. I used Rustoleum Pro enamel in matte black. Gen 1 tips are right behind the tire so they get blasted by debris bad, but it's been holding up fine.

Did you just spray the tips or did you spray the pipes as well? Was thinking of doing this but was thinking of doing the pipes in addition to the tips so they blend in better from behind.

Any pics of what yours look like sprayed?

cayenne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here... Warranty claim was denied with less than 10K miles on the truck. Escalated to Ford Customer Service and was told corrosion wasn't covered.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did you just spray the tips or did you spray the pipes as well? Was thinking of doing this but was thinking of doing the pipes in addition to the tips so they blend in better from behind.

Any pics of what yours look like sprayed?

I only did the tips, right up to the weld. I thought about doing some of the visible portion of the pipe- you are right, you can clearly see where it goes from the black tips to the silver pipe from a low behind angle, but it doesn't look bad IMO. Standing next to the truck or walking up to it, you only see the painted tips. I can snap some pics of it tonight for you.