Rusted exhaust tips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ljn21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I only did the tips, right up to the weld. I thought about doing some of the visible portion of the pipe- you are right, you can clearly see where it goes from the black tips to the silver pipe from a low behind angle, but it doesn't look bad IMO. Standing next to the truck or walking up to it, you only see the painted tips. I can snap some pics of it tonight for you.

Thx

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I only did the tips, right up to the weld. I thought about doing some of the visible portion of the pipe- you are right, you can clearly see where it goes from the black tips to the silver pipe from a low behind angle, but it doesn't look bad IMO. Standing next to the truck or walking up to it, you only see the painted tips. I can snap some pics of it tonight for you.

Maybe do a fade? tough to do with a rattle can, but easier with an airbrush which is quite a bit more precise. I got a cheap one off Amazon that i duracoated my first few long guns with, the air brush was only about 30 bucks.

Good prep will get better coverage that lasts longer, even under adverse conditions.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
20200318_202948.jpg 20200318_202701.jpg 20200318_202818.jpg 20200318_203025.jpg 20200318_203553.jpg

You can see some of the Rustoleum Pro that's been on the hitch and tow hook for almost 5 years in the 4th pic. It looked pretty rusty crusty around all the welds. I sprayed the rusty areas on the hitch with rust converter, let that dry, then went over it with the paint.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

P4mnceBlue82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
update.... I was at the dealership getting my rims put on and pointed my exhaust tips out. Service manager took a few pics and said they will be replaced under warranty.

Danactive

I'm Back!
Reaction score
Steel it works great but not sure if they came out with their high temp version yet. Basically the paint acts as stainless steel and holds up well if you do the proper prep and amount of coats.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I posted some pics of my tailpipes looking brand new on my 2018 after going over w/ super fine steel wool very lightly & then rubbing em down good w/ the Amsoil HDMP product, went back to black so to speak lol & if you do it every once in a while they’ll stay that way

and mine would get “dipped” in salt water regularly when putting yamahas in the water + they get pummeled by northeast road salt/sand fwiw