Rusted exhaust tips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

P4mnceBlue82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone had issues with their factory exhaust tips rusting. I bought my truck new in July and my tips are damn near 100% coated in rust.
Obviously winters are tough on metal. But i was shocked they didnt even make it a year. We didnt even see a handful of days of snow and salt. Been a mild winter here.

Anyone have any good aftermarket options that are holding up better. I'm completely open to removing these and having a new set put on. Just want something that will hold up a little better.

CobraJay

Tweaker by trade
Reaction score
In for info, have the same issue here. Saw someone here cleaned the tips with an oil of some kind and it turned them around pretty well. Most likely a temp fix bit the tips looked like they should on a new truck.

NE Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine look like crap too - i am actually on my 2nd set at 31k miles and they just dont hold up to harsh winters. i have been looking for something AM that would replace the entire oem axle back tail pipe and fit into the oem exhaust but i have not had any luck. i may just pull them off and have them cerakoted

Wheelz96

Reaction score
Lot's of options for this issue. Of course, buying aftermarket will eliminate this issue has most manufacturers offer stainless steel and painted tips. The cheaper route is simply sanding them down and painting yourself with a high temp paint. I have a gen 1 and replaced the muffler but kept the stock tips for factory look but painted them. They look great with zero concerns of oxidizing. Easy to do and easy to maintain if flaws show up down the road.

Side note, I painted my 2012 which still had factory exhaust and I had little to no rust. It sounds like they used a 409 stainless as opposed to maybe a 304 on the gen 1. I have not actually looked this up but it would explain why your newer trucks are already rusting and my old truck still looked close to factory before paint. If magnet sticks to your exhaust it's most likely 409 stainless. If it does not, it should be 304 (better rust resistance).

I do live in Ga and the truck has spent it's whole life in the south so that helps...

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Anyone had issues with their factory exhaust tips rusting. I bought my truck new in July and my tips are damn near 100% coated in rust.
Obviously winters are tough on metal. But i was shocked they didnt even make it a year. We didnt even see a handful of days of snow and salt. Been a mild winter here.

Anyone have any good aftermarket options that are holding up better. I'm completely open to removing these and having a new set put on. Just want something that will hold up a little better.

Got any pics?

OP
OP
P

P4mnceBlue82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont. I could get al few..... I may just take off and repaint. Prob the easiest and cheapest route until I get/need new exhaust.

GR8Ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Believe I read somewhere here that it’s covered under warrantee. My dealer is looking into mine now.

HAPPILY EVER RAPTOR

MudLovingFJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My exhaust tips looked nice for about 3 months then I went camping/wheeling in the sand at Pismo Beach for a few days and sandblasted the paint right off them.