Rusted Cab Corners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TrailWhale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after cleaning the truck up this week, I noticed some rust drips on the drivers running board. With some investigation, I found both the cab corners rusting from the inside.
Has anyone else had this? And have you had it repaired? I’m a year out of the corrosion warranty, so this will be an out of pocket repair. What’s the expected cost? I plan on taking it to the Ford body shop next week, just hoping to get some insight and maybe preperation for how expensive this will be.
Picture doesn’t look bad, but all that bubbling is rust, it’s nearly at the point I can push through it.
Thanks

Attachments

• 287F7420-D405-4D36-AE60-383F3F5FBDF2.jpg
    287F7420-D405-4D36-AE60-383F3F5FBDF2.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 277
Last edited:
OP
OP
TrailWhale

TrailWhale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
brutal.

are you extended cab or 4 door?

4door.
From what I’ve found, the sunroof drains run down the C pillar and end up right at this spot, so over time it gets wet from the sunroof drain and it builds up.
Also, my truck was originally in Canada and Kansas before I bought it. So lots of road salt and crap getting into the holes in the body. I’ve flushed them as much as possible in the 2 years I’ve owned the truck, but it was bound to happen.

OP
OP
TrailWhale

TrailWhale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, update.
Got a quote from my local Ford dear body shop, just a few pennies under $3000. And 2 weeks without the truck :(
Price wise, it’s not too terrible, since they are replacing the corners up to the body line, and the rockers about half way into the rear door, paint and clear. The paint will be the hardest part they said. It’s a Tuxedo black truck, so it as to be blended into the rear door and up to the roof line to look right.
It gets dropped off in 2 weeks, will keep this thread updated as best I can.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like you could save a few bucks having it line-x'd below the belt line...

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f11/truck-off-get-line-x-16556/index2.html

Alternatively, you could just have the truck wrapped. Even on my low mileage 2013 that has always been garage kept, I'd be hesitant to try to blend paint.

---------- Post added at 06:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 PM ----------

Thanks for sharing this, btw. I have an aftermarket 3rd brake light but installation is currently on hold until I'm certain I trust it can be sealed up tight. Definitely want to avoid this issue.

OP
OP
TrailWhale

TrailWhale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you could save a few bucks having it line-x'd below the belt line...

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f11/truck-off-get-line-x-16556/index2.html

Alternatively, you could just have the truck wrapped. Even on my low mileage 2013 that has always been garage kept, I'd be hesitant to try to blend paint.

---------- Post added at 06:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 PM ----------

Thanks for sharing this, btw. I have an aftermarket 3rd brake light but installation is currently on hold until I'm certain I trust it can be sealed up tight. Definitely want to avoid this issue.

Yeah, Line-X isn’t the route I want to go. It was a thought, but I want to keep it painted and nice.
A wrap....well the truck had a wrap on it before I bought it. Again, not the look I’m going for. I like the metallic black paint, looks great all cleaned up....and even dirty.

The 3rd brake light really isn’t the main issue, it’s the rear drains for the sunroof. They run right into the cab corner and if there’s any dirt or road grime in there, water just accumulates in there and rots from the inside out.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, Line-X isn’t the route I want to go. It was a thought, but I want to keep it painted and nice.
A wrap....well the truck had a wrap on it before I bought it. Again, not the look I’m going for. I like the metallic black paint, looks great all cleaned up....and even dirty.

The 3rd brake light really isn’t the main issue, it’s the rear drains for the sunroof. They run right into the cab corner and if there’s any dirt or road grime in there, water just accumulates in there and rots from the inside out.

I guess I'll add this to the list of things to watch out for. Can you share any pics of how to clean out the drains?

OP
OP
TrailWhale

TrailWhale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i Think there is some videos online on how to clean the drains.
Once I get the truck back I will see about getting some pictures of fishing out the hoses themselves to keep them from draining into the cab corner itself.

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How in gods name did ford think this was a good idea. I didn't see any post on anyone mentioning this hole in front of the back tire. Did anyone seal this hole up? At first I thought it was the rocker drains but this is way more obvious.20200924_140902.jpg