Rust proofing/winterizing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, I'm prepping my Raptor for winter here in Iowa. We get salt and the like. From what I read the recommended stuff is to plug the cab corner hole, replace the factory rocker hole tape with Gorilla tape, blow the rocker drain holes out, and then Fluid Film the entire underside of the truck after giving it a good power washing/degreasing and letting it dry. Is there anything else that should be done to minimize corrosion issues? Thanks!

Irregular F150

its terrain good sir!
Reaction score
Take the rear sunroof drain plug and reroute it out side the rockers before the tape is applied (theres a how to video on YouTube) Maybe take off flairs and add some 3m clear tape to the contact points to prevent scratches and use the coating on the fender lips before putting them back on.

Im going a bit overboard on this truck since ive lost my last two tahoes to rust…

Id go with waxoyl or wool wax over fluid film imo.

This is what im doing so you don’t “need” to its just an extra cation for me since Im up in Me and deal with the same crap salt and im in the process myself.

Found it

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, I'm prepping my Raptor for winter here in Iowa. We get salt and the like. From what I read the recommended stuff is to plug the cab corner hole, replace the factory rocker hole tape with Gorilla tape, blow the rocker drain holes out, and then Fluid Film the entire underside of the truck after giving it a good power washing/degreasing and letting it dry. Is there anything else that should be done to minimize corrosion issues? Thanks!
Make sure you drop your spare tire and spray Fluid Film up there and on the cable. Also soak that "spare tire key" in wd40, for a couple hours, so it doesn't seize up from rust. You could also touch up any rusty areas with a wire brush/wheel and some tremclad rust paint ahead of time.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Make sure you drop your spare tire and spray Fluid Film up there and on the cable. Also soak that "spare tire key" in wd40, for a couple hours, so it doesn't seize up from rust. You could also touch up any rusty areas with a wire brush/wheel and some tremclad rust paint ahead of time.

No longer have a spare tire or the holder or the key, so no worries there! lol

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Take the rear sunroof drain plug and reroute it out side the rockers before the tape is applied (theres a how to video on YouTube) Maybe take off flairs and add some 3m clear tape to the contact points to prevent scratches and use the coating on the fender lips before putting them back on.

Im going a bit overboard on this truck since ive lost my last two tahoes to rust…

This is what im doing so you don’t “need” to its just an extra cation for me since Im up in Me and deal with the same crap salt and im in the process myself.

Found it

I may do that sunroof drain thing, interesting idea. I'm no stranger to clogged drains and water backing up into cars, but never seen an issue with them rusting things out either. I think another one of the big ones is that hole in the cab and stuff getting thrown into it from the rear tire, and then the drain in the rocker getting plugged up and not letting water back out.

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is what happens when you don’t reroute them out.70A4AC95-0609-4CDD-ABAF-7EABF2BE2B9C.jpegTake the rear sunroof drain plug and reroute it out side the rockers before the tape is applied (theres a how to video on YouTube) Maybe take off flairs and add some 3m clear tape to the contact points to prevent scratches and use the coating on the fender lips before putting them back on.

Found it

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How's everyones running boards holding up? Had my passenger side repaired and 4 years later its starting to separate again. Will clean out, rust convert and seam seal. Feels like I'm driving in acid rain in the winter.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How's everyones running boards holding up? Had my passenger side repaired and 4 years later its starting to separate again. Will clean out, rust convert and seam seal. Feels like I'm driving in acid rain in the winter.
Haven't had a problem with mine yet, but then again they don't use that slurry brine mixture out here on our roads. Here its a salt/gravel mixture, so plenty of trips to the pressure washer self serve car wash for me.

Irregular F150

its terrain good sir!
Reaction score
Same here with the acid salt but itll be my first winter with the truck so that’ll be another area i add to the list to make sire is covered lol

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Started applying Woolwax on the rear and working towards the front. First time for me and happy with how easy it is.

Gonna do the rear axle in black - looks like s h i t all rusty.

It’s a bit messy and messy working underneath later but at least it will prevent rust rot.