GEN 2 Rust/Chip on bumper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigs125

Reaction score
I had this happen to my truck too. Brought it to the dealership and they had to get approval from Ford to repair it under warranty. That took a week, then the body shop work took another week. They did a great job fixing it and even added some PPF to keep this from happening again (hopefully).

It doesn't make sense to have those rubber fillers there unless they serve a specific purpose - other than to wear away the paint.

Goosed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this happen to my truck too. Brought it to the dealership and they had to get approval from Ford to repair it under warranty. That took a week, then the body shop work took another week. They did a great job fixing it and even added some PPF to keep this from happening again (hopefully).

It doesn't make sense to have those rubber fillers there unless they serve a specific purpose - other than to wear away the paint.

Is this covered under the corrosion warranty?

Reaction score
Thanks to this forum I asked my dealer about it when I was there for a different issue (washer fluid line to front camera sprung a pinhole leak) and, to his surprise, Ford covered it under warranty. Body shop took care of the chips/rust and looks brand new. Mine did have the PPF on the back edge already, but the chips were in front of it.

I would imagine part of the reason the seals are there is aerodynamics (i.e. Fuel Economy). I work for a semi truck OEM and we have a similar seal between the hood and bumper to help aero drag.

Topher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is happening on mine as well, have to take it to another location and I dont know how long ill be without it

Bigs125

Reaction score
Is this covered under the corrosion warranty?
It was fully covered under warranty. They had to get approval from Ford first but the answer that Ford gave them was "Do what you have to do to get it fixed." The body shop the dealership used added PPF to the area too and it all looks great.

IHAVETWO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
17 REAR BUMPER RUSTED FROM UNDER TOP PAD.SANDED AND REPAINTED,OK SO FAR.

dudmleh522

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry guys to bring back the old post. But as a second hand owner ( i do have aftermarket warranty) you think ford will take care? I have 2018 SCREW with 95k miles.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think every single one of em will have this happen, did on my 2018 & 2020….I just passed 36k on my 2020 & noticed it happening again, I could/would’ve had ford respray the bumper of my wife hadn’t already kissed a Parking barrier when her foot slipped off the brake which resulted in a tiny dimple mark on the front middle of the bumper but worse- each side wing of the bumper tilted downward slightly…so I just need the thing tweaked & repainted

04Ram2500Hemi

It's Just a Username
Reaction score
I think every single one of em will have this happen, did on my 2018 & 2020….I just passed 36k on my 2020 & noticed it happening again, I could/would’ve had ford respray the bumper of my wife hadn’t already kissed a Parking barrier when her foot slipped off the brake which resulted in a tiny dimple mark on the front middle of the bumper but worse- each side wing of the bumper tilted downward slightly…so I just need the thing tweaked & repainted
You may be right. When I had my truck fixed the auto body shop trimmed the rubber piece back a little, then put clear bra over the top of the bumper where the trim may rub, and then repainted the bumper.