Rusell and smith ford Houston Tx

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Viewsflores

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered my gen 3 raptor from them, at “msrp” but they have 3k dealer add on that they put on all their cars even if you don’t want it. I was wondering if anybody else had ordered with them? And if you where able to bring down the dealer add on which is 2,995$. My order comes in next month.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What does the “add on” consist of? The FTC is cracking down on a lot of these scams with new legislation, but the laws aren’t in effect yet.

OP
OP
V

Viewsflores

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What does the “add on” consist of? The FTC is cracking down on a lot of these scams with new legislation, but the laws aren’t in effect yet.

This. I saw reviews from the dealership where customers where able to knock down the price of the 2,995$ to 1k or 1,500$ or even 2k.

Attachments

• F0945DCA-97C9-489E-A148-A681AC253BD8.png
    F0945DCA-97C9-489E-A148-A681AC253BD8.png
    718.1 KB · Views: 117

RAPTORZIN

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

In the background, it lists the following:

"Commonly offered add-ons include extended warranties, service and maintenance plans, payment programs, guaranteed automobile or asset protection (“GAP” or “GAP insurance”), emergency road service, VIN etching and other theft protection devices, and undercoating."

"
In other instances, dealers might wait until late in the transaction to mention add-ons, and then do so in a misleading manner. For example, according to an FTC study, there were situations where dealers waited until the financing stage to mention add-ons, after consumers believed they had agreed on terms, and even though many add-ons have nothing to do with financing and were not mentioned at all during the sales process or when prices were initially negotiated. (70) According to FTC enforcement actions, dealers also have represented that add-ons are required when in fact they are not, (71) have misrepresented the purported benefits of add-ons, and have failed to disclose material limitations. (72)

Indeed, in a recent enforcement proceeding brought by the FTC, the agency cited a survey finding that 83% of consumers from ten dealership locations within the same motor vehicle dealership group—the thirteenth largest dealership group in the country in 2020, as ranked by total revenue—were charged for add-on products or services that they did not authorize or as a result of deceptive claims that they were required to purchase them."

I've experienced these in prior transactions, although not from the Ford Dealers I've worked with. I have from Land Rover/Jaguar twice now.

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, that is total garbage! Don’t let this be a deal-breaker from getting your truck but do your best to opt out of the 3K add-on. If that fails, definitely try and talk them down on the price as others have before you. You may have to suck it up and swallow that pill.

OP
OP
V

Viewsflores

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that is total garbage! Don’t let this be a deal-breaker from getting your truck but do your best to opt out of the 3K add-on. If that fails, definitely try and talk them down on the price as others have before you. You may have to suck it up and swallow that pill.
I’m not I still want the truck, I already tried telling them I didn’t want it. And they told me either I take it with the 3k or they’re going to sell it 10k over sticker they don’t care. Sales manager told me I’m getting a “discount” already. They been pretty shady so far, they didn’t put my email into the ford system or nothing, so for 9 months no update. I even forgot I had an order with them. Wasn’t till I called the end of July when they told me oh yeah you got a vin and a built date scheduled. I am going to try and reduce the 3k to 1k hopefully that works. If not Im just going to take it like that. My other order got turn into a 23 so probably another year. But definitely not a dealership I will ever come back too.

V8 Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate that dealers are doing this crap. They are a lot more persistent now than they used to be because they know they can take advantage in the current market. Most of the items on that list are complete and total crap. The physical items on the list will be more difficult to negotiate away, but you should be able to get them to reduce the $2995 cost - unless they feel like you'll buy the truck anyway because it's a Raptor at "MSRP".

You may preemptively contact the dealer and ask them not to put any of the physical add-ons on the truck - just tell them you don't want the truck altered from stock in any way. Heck, you could even ask them not to wash the truck so they can't give the excuse of already 'installing' the paint protection. This may give you a little more leverage in reducing or eliminating the fee.

In the end, I still don't think you should let it prevent you from buying the truck - and yes, I understand that is probably what they're counting on. They see it as a passive cash grab that you will probably end up accepting. But it isn't the end of the world, no matter how much we, as consumers, hate it. I'm sure you've waited months for the truck, and at least they aren't charging you an unreasonable ADM.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

RaptorFan1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed with the posts above - don't let the 3k deter you since you've waited this long. I'd buy the truck and leave them an honest bashing in their reviews about the last minute add-on and their threat to sell it to somebody else for 10k over after reneging on your deal.

OP
OP
V

Viewsflores

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate that dealers are doing this crap. They are a lot more persistent now than they used to be because they know they can take advantage in the current market. Most of the items on that list are complete and total crap. The physical items on the list will be more difficult to negotiate away, but you should be able to get them to reduce the $2995 cost - unless they feel like you'll buy the truck anyway because it's a Raptor at "MSRP".

You may preemptively contact the dealer and ask them not to put any of the physical add-ons on the truck - just tell them you don't want the truck altered from stock in any way. Heck, you could even ask them not to wash the truck so they can't give the excuse of already 'installing' the paint protection. This may give you a little more leverage in reducing or eliminating the fee.

In the end, I still don't think you should let it prevent you from buying the truck - and yes, I understand that is probably what they're counting on. They see it as a passive cash grab that you will probably end up accepting. But it isn't the end of the world, no matter how much we, as consumers, hate it. I'm sure you've waited months for the truck, and at least they aren't charging you an unreasonable ADM.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.
I agree most options are crap but yeah that’s the way they look at it. So I spoke to both my sales man and the sales manager about the “protection package” I even told them I don’t want the truck touched or washed. Dealerships don’t know how to wash cars, they scratch them and fill them up with swirl marks. So I told him I don’t want my truck washed at all. I will wash it myself planning on ceramic coating it when I get it. They told me nope can’t do that we need to add the protection package with the paint. I even told them don’t wash it or nothing idc charge me for it. But I don’t like other people washing my cars. they refused so it’s been back and forth. Now I just need to ask for them to reduce the package. And I won’t I’m still getting it I’m not letting that 3k affect me from purchasing it. waited around 10 months ! Definitely worth it. I have my 20 raptor so it hasn’t been that bad !