RPG LT Vs. SVC LT or Mid Travel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Look up Robby Woods Battleborn Engineering on Instagram.
He builds race trucks, but has a Raptor suspension package that is incredible.

Doc Constantine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on Rogue's cantilever rear end setup?

Number 1 rule about Rogue's cantilever: don't let rogue install it, I had mine over there twice and they couldn't get it right. I've had the stage 4 front and sprung under cantilever rear for just under 2 years and lots of off road miles. Other than the install (shocks weren't tuned and I was told they were - and not to mess with them, there's a brace that's too long and pushing the spring shackle out of alignment) it has the potential to be a good system, lots of moving parts and expensive, but it keeps your bed 100% intact, which I needed at the time. The springs they sell with the sprung under kit aren't able to carry much load either, so once I loaded up with spares etc I lost all my bump travel - I use 100% of my bump stops and still take hard frame hits. I've taken the truck to deaver for re-arching of the springs, still have the squatting problem. Oh, and this thing articulates like a ****, once you move up to BFG projects the tires start slamming into the bed's wheel wells.

SVC is having good results with a bypass rack and track bars. I've ridden/driven in a truck with a BOLT kit up front and SVC bypass rack and things were much smoother than my truck - it rides the way I want my truck to ride. I'm trying to have the shortcomings of the Rogue corrected (custom rear springs for the weight of my truck and professional shock tuning). Once I'm done hopefully I can compare mine on the same section of trail with @raulsterXDozer and @m3dragon. I'll probably just SVC LT and link it eventually anyway, I've seen SVC's customer service and support first hand in the field and they are far better than the rest. I know people who've waited up to a year to get their complete suspension kits from RPG.

I see you're in SoCal too, you really should come out to one of the runs (Off-Road Events | Road Adventures) you can take a ride in just about any configuration of kits listed and let your ass decide what's right for you. I wish I had.

Look up Robby Woods Battleborn Engineering on Instagram.
He builds race trucks, but has a Raptor suspension package that is incredible.

FWIW Robby designed the Rogue set up, I think it's interesting that the kit he put his name on has a bypass rack, not cantilever. Could have been cost or simplicity, but it's still worth noting.

Last edited:

m3dragon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you are able I would use Brian's idea and see different setups and find the one that rides best to you. Then buy that kit and take it to a installer like Evil or Fordge. They offer parts but their main job is to fix things and get you on the trail with new things. Just my 2 cents that I have learned from my upgrade journey.

OP
OP
BigGriff023

BigGriff023

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping to get out in the next few weeks and try out some of the svc stuff. Hopefully there will be some RPG stuff out on some of the upcoming runs too.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FWIW Robby designed the Rogue set up, I think it's interesting that the kit he put his name on has a bypass rack, not cantilever. Could have been cost or simplicity, but it's still worth noting.[/QUOTE]

I had a brief conversation with Robby, and although he did design the original cantilever set up, he has nothing to do with the production of the Rogue system.
I also asked about the bed-cage vs Canti, and there was discussion regarding the amount of force that the cantilever system produces behind the axel, and that the stock Ford frame isn't designed to absorb those forces. He prefers to go with a well designed bed cage on our trucks. Moving the force forward allows for more area to disperse the force.

He was working on some new stuff for the Raptor market, told me to stay tuned. I know that when the finances are there, I will be going to him for sure.

Doc Constantine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a brief conversation with Robby, and although he did design the original cantilever set up, he has nothing to do with the production of the Rogue system.
I also asked about the bed-cage vs Canti, and there was discussion regarding the amount of force that the cantilever system produces behind the axel, and that the stock Ford frame isn't designed to absorb those forces. He prefers to go with a well designed bed cage on our trucks. Moving the force forward allows for more area to disperse the force.

He was working on some new stuff for the Raptor market, told me to stay tuned. I know that when the finances are there, I will be going to him for sure.

Good to know, I figured there was a reason. I'm confident if Robby or Doug had still been at Rogue when I had mine installed I wouldn't have the issues I do.

m3dragon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In general terms most of the vendors of Raptor products have install issues. Some do better at making it right however the fact there was a issue to start is a RAMPANT problem.

No matter who you use, be prepared to be frustrated, angry, happy, and wanting to give up.

The offroad industry as a whole needs a whole reboot as it relates to the above issues.

Again just my opinion from talking to a lot of owners and personal experience.

svc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
MT is something that when paired with a rear bypass rack/shock setup is freakin amazing and can stay on the truck "forever" if you plan on that setup being your absolute limit. But lets say in a couple years you decide to go linked rear end and also decide you want LT to match it.. You'd have to sell the entire MT kit and shocks for way less than you invested, buy a LT kit, buy shocks plus pay for all the fab work. Just my opinion obviously. I still remember the day I said, "Why do people go through the bed with shocks? That's so dumb, I'd never do that." Probably 9 months later I bought a bypass rack with 4.0's :Good or Bad:

I tried to warn you on the rear end choice, however I disagree on the front. Linked trucks are amazing but you lose the daily driver aspect and you need to be able to prep and maintenance that thing. Running mid and a full blown bypass rack rear and pushing hard I am still trying to find out “what is to much”. We’ve sent about 4 other trucks out that are on runs regularly and agree that it drive great down the rd and had no problem keeping up with the big boys or even supplying tools when they need them. On a run you may see some good sized sections but they are a only a small portion majority consist or the very common g out rough /chattery terrain and high speed rds where we spent a lot of time dialing this Kit in for. We have a customer who owns both linked LT and Mid over spring and he himself was amazed what we were hitting at high rates of speed

occory123

Reaction score
I'm looking into possibly buying long travel for my 2012 screw. I'm torn between the new SVC mid travel kit, their long travel, or RPG's long travel. I also would like to pair it with a bypass rack and 3.5's in the rear. Anyone have any experience with either kit, or opinions on one over the other? It is also my daily driver so road manners are very important.

My $.02, As someone that's had SVC recently install the "Podium Package" on their truck, front uca's & lca's, 3.0's and 3.5 bypass' and spindle mod, together with the rear 3.5 bypass', bumps and bed cage out back, I can tell you it's really unbelievable what the truck is now capable of. The whole truck is pretty dam bullet proof off road. While the truck is still comfortable for daily driving, it's much more aggressive than the stock raptor I brought in, be ready for a daily driving experience that is louder, much firmer, with less of a turning radius than your used too. The upside is, trails that would normally have your teeth shaken loose are now smooth as butter. I've scared my wife to the point she wont even ride with me off-road, and only a few of my buddies will even come back out with me. I find myself just wanting to go faster and faster off-road. Since the truck is so capable, and I don't have to rely on it as a daily driver, I find myself considering other safety options ie. cage, belts, brake upgrade.

My impression is with the "mid travel" kit you will gain track width together with an even stronger ball joint / spindle set up, and another inch of wheel travel. However you will pay for it, in the kit price, labor, wider fenders, repaint, etc. If you'll use it or not will have to be determined. The mid travel kit is certainly a more "hardcore" set up, and I'd suspect you'd compromise some drivability. Either of the SVC kits when paired with their rear 3.5 Bypass, bumps and bed cage are simply amazing. I'd stick to having them do the install work, nobody knows their stuff better and their great guys to work with.

Oh, and personally on a daily driver truck I'd stay away from doing long travel up front.

boarder1995x2

Reaction score
My $.02, As someone that's had SVC recently install the "Podium Package" on their truck, front uca's & lca's, 3.0's and 3.5 bypass' and spindle mod, together with the rear 3.5 bypass', bumps and bed cage out back, I can tell you it's really unbelievable what the truck is now capable of. The whole truck is pretty dam bullet proof off road. While the truck is still comfortable for daily driving, it's much more aggressive than the stock raptor I brought in, be ready for a daily driving experience that is louder, much firmer, with less of a turning radius than your used too. The upside is, trails that would normally have your teeth shaken loose are now smooth as butter.

So, regarding the compromises with the front SVC kit (3.0+3.5, UCA, LCA, knuckles):
1. You lose turning radius I presume with the front suspension's 3.5 shock and tire clearance on the tire's rear side?
2. On-road firmness - can that be somewhat dialed out with external tube adjustments? I do this with my current rear 3.0 setup to help on-road softness, but dial them up for off-road control. I plan to do this with my new rear 3.5 bed-cage setup once installed. Now planning on what to maybe do with the front.
3. Louder - due to valves at all 4 corners clicking mostly?

Thanks for the feedback!