Roush Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FORDONLY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About to buy a 2014 Roush Raptor ...has 60k miles....I have owned 3 raptors ..2012-2014-2017 ...my question is I do a feeling runs a year about 2500 miles round trip ....any issues with the Roush supercharger driving long distance ?
ty for any info

Reaction score
Purchased a 2014 Roush Raptor with 87,000 miles in July 2021. In August, drove from Redding, CA to Twentynine Palms, CA pulling an empty 16 foot flat-bed trailer empty with that portion of trip averaging 15.5 mpg. At Twentynine Palms, loaded a KIA small sedan on the trailer towing to Moscow, ID with the average at 13.8 mpg. Then drove empty trailer from Moscow to Vancouver, WA averaging 14 mpg. There in Vancouver, loaded on split-rail cedar fencing (155 ten ft. horizontal rails, and 77 posts) hauling that load back to Redding. Overall average for entire trip was 13.3 mpg with no codes appearing on the instrument panel and all functioning properly. Will a Roush Raptor take long trips? Yes. I followed up with a Thanksgiving trip empty without a trailer back to Moscow and subsequent return to Redding. No problems again. Averaged 15.5 mpg. Actually babied the pickup with all the tricks I could apply from Pullman, WA down to the Snake River to attain an average of 18.9 mpg in the very early morning hours with low to no traffic to contend with enabling me to drive as slow as desired and often allow the pickup to drift in neutral. The fun is in throttle response and driving up to the speed limiter with ease, but that comes at a cost of fuel not really worth playing with, but Oh the rush when entering on the on-ramp blending with traffic!

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The only issue I have heard of when comparing to a regular Raptor from members over the years is trying to get a new belt when needed. Order a spare belt for your roush and keep it under the seat or somewhere. If you throw a belt it might ruin your trip as they are hard to get at your corner auto parts store.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Purchased a 2014 Roush Raptor with 87,000 miles in July 2021. In August, drove from Redding, CA to Twentynine Palms, CA pulling an empty 16 foot flat-bed trailer empty with that portion of trip averaging 15.5 mpg. At Twentynine Palms, loaded a KIA small sedan on the trailer towing to Moscow, ID with the average at 13.8 mpg. Then drove empty trailer from Moscow to Vancouver, WA averaging 14 mpg. There in Vancouver, loaded on split-rail cedar fencing (155 ten ft. horizontal rails, and 77 posts) hauling that load back to Redding. Overall average for entire trip was 13.3 mpg with no codes appearing on the instrument panel and all functioning properly. Will a Roush Raptor take long trips? Yes. I followed up with a Thanksgiving trip empty without a trailer back to Moscow and subsequent return to Redding. No problems again. Averaged 15.5 mpg. Actually babied the pickup with all the tricks I could apply from Pullman, WA down to the Snake River to attain an average of 18.9 mpg in the very early morning hours with low to no traffic to contend with enabling me to drive as slow as desired and often allow the pickup to drift in neutral. The fun is in throttle response and driving up to the speed limiter with ease, but that comes at a cost of fuel not really worth playing with, but Oh the rush when entering on the on-ramp blending with traffic!
These trucks were rated 11/14 from the factory…are you getting those numbers from the instrument cluster reading or hand calculating? It’s just not plausible that you could exceed the factory ratings with addition of a supercharger, never mind while while also towing a trailer.

anothervr6kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently picked up a '13 Roush with 53k on it. Drove it from Boise to SoCal (~900 miles) and it drove amazing. Better driving experience than a stock one (did that trip a few times with a stock 2013). Plenty of power when you want to pass people and it cruises just fine. Super fun to drive on long trips or around town. Exhaust is a little too loud at times, but turn up the radio and it's fine. You get used to it.

Fuel economy sucks and it asks for premium fuel. I usually average around 10.8-11.8 mpg with it. My previous stock Raptor always averaged 12.4 mpg. Oddly, I averaged 15 mpg with the Roush coming home from Vegas today while on the highway... must have had a tail wind and been mostly downhill. I set cruise control to 75 and never passed that. The 15 was on the cluster... the cluster has been within .2 of hand calculations for me.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've had no problems with mine - and it doubles as a tow pig in the Rocky mountains at near max towing capacity. I've upgraded a number of things to deal with heat on hard uphill pulls, but it's been solid. As stated above, carry a spare belt. Also carry a spare Roush pulley - it's not a normal one you can get at the store. Call Roush for it.

I've never had to use either, but I carry them. Also it's probably time to change the supercharger oil unless you know it has been changed.

Reaction score
These trucks were rated 11/14 from the factory…are you getting those numbers from the instrument cluster reading or hand calculating? It’s just not plausible that you could exceed the factory ratings with addition of a supercharger, never mind while while also towing a trailer.
Thank you! I stand corrected. The LOM (Lie-o-Meter) is displaying on average 0.862 better than accurate calculated miles per gallon. Driving empty to Twentynine Palms was not 15.1, but instead 14.4 mpg pulling the empty 16 ft. flatbed trailer. Pulling the same trailer with a KIA onboard from Regina, Idaho (Boise) to Viola, ID (Moscow) mileage was 12.4 mpg. Under the same drive from Ely, NV to Regina was 13.9 mpg. As I find the old receipts, I will be able to improve my recording and accurate MPG. So far, best average gas mileage has been 15.7; worst 12.4. Sure would like to find some way (legally) to improve mileage. By the way, keep in mind, I've been driving quite conservatively to attain these figures.