Roush Charged 6.2 oilpump, catch can and performance questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Landon T

Reaction score
First Post so go easy, apologies if some of this info is out there which I know it is.
Let me start off by saying I have been reading for days on how to go ahead with my build on the 2011 6.2 Roush Charged package on my truck. Just want to confirm some opinions before I get too deep... By the looks of it @MTF and @Truckzor are the gurus that have lived through what I want to accomplish.

The truck is a 2011 and will be getting a roush stage 2 SC kit installed.
I have been in communication with JDM and have a tune created by them to smooth out the driving experience.
I have a 65mm Ford throttle body ordered for the install
This should take the 590hp/590tq package up to around 675 (RWHP Im guessing 490-500)
JDM tells me if RWHP is kept under 550 you should be alright with excessive wear / problems on the engine oil pump...

1) From what I read I ordered a JLT passenger side catch can, as the driver side is proven dry and not needed but passenger shows carry over??

2) The OEM engine oil pump gears should be ok, But I ordered a Melling 10397-br pump from summit, just unsure if I want to install now or wait until future problems arise. I know its far easier to install before the SC than after.
Question being I read it comes with the 95psi spring installed, and a 85psi spring if a guy wants. What is the ford OEM oil pressure range and is the 95psi spring the preferred choice for a supercharged truck? (I read ford oem pump is between 40-60psi normally with the bypass spring around 80-85psi)

I have read there is 2 options of the oil pumps with billet gears, or jsut ordering TSS gears separately the Livernois and Melling and I went with the Melling I hope its a good choice. I havent been able to find much info or reviews on the aftermarket oil pumps and the interest seems to have died off the last few years.
One forum post I left off at is another general inquiry on an OP that had similar questions.
https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/new-melling-performance-oil-pump-coming.60544/page-10

Thanks for any info, Im excited for this build out now that the trucks off warranty LOL
I want to build the truck to be a reliable fun daily driver that is trouble free for years to come if I can help it with the proper guidance.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I replied on the other
First Post so go easy, apologies if some of this info is out there which I know it is.
Let me start off by saying I have been reading for days on how to go ahead with my build on the 2011 6.2 Roush Charged package on my truck. Just want to confirm some opinions before I get too deep... By the looks of it @MTF and @Truckzor are the gurus that have lived through what I want to accomplish.

The truck is a 2011 and will be getting a roush stage 2 SC kit installed.
I have been in communication with JDM and have a tune created by them to smooth out the driving experience.
I have a 65mm Ford throttle body ordered for the install
This should take the 590hp/590tq package up to around 675 (RWHP Im guessing 490-500)
JDM tells me if RWHP is kept under 550 you should be alright with excessive wear / problems on the engine oil pump...

1) From what I read I ordered a JLT passenger side catch can, as the driver side is proven dry and not needed but passenger shows carry over??

2) The OEM engine oil pump gears should be ok, But I ordered a Melling 10397-br pump from summit, just unsure if I want to install now or wait until future problems arise. I know its far easier to install before the SC than after.
Question being I read it comes with the 95psi spring installed, and a 85psi spring if a guy wants. What is the ford OEM oil pressure range and is the 95psi spring the preferred choice for a supercharged truck? (I read ford oem pump is between 40-60psi normally with the bypass spring around 80-85psi)

I have read there is 2 options of the oil pumps with billet gears, or jsut ordering TSS gears separately the Livernois and Melling and I went with the Melling I hope its a good choice. I havent been able to find much info or reviews on the aftermarket oil pumps and the interest seems to have died off the last few years.
One forum post I left off at is another general inquiry on an OP that had similar questions.
https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/new-melling-performance-oil-pump-coming.60544/page-10

Thanks for any info, Im excited for this build out now that the trucks off warranty LOL
I want to build the truck to be a reliable fun daily driver that is trouble free for years to come if I can help it with the proper guidance.

I replied on the other thread, but let me throw in a couple things since I have just gone down the very route you are going down.

First issues I had with mine, stock exhaust can't handle it. I blew one cat and two exhaust manifolds (over time). I got sick of that and went to full headers. Full headers means now you really want that oil pump. Oil pump means well hell, I can do a smaller pulley now (69mm).

In hindsight I would have absolutely done the oil pump at the time of the supercharger. You have to totally uninstall the SC (plus way more) to put the pump in, so it's a big waste of time. Just put the pump in immediately. Exhaust? Well, you decide if you want to wait to start blowing stuff out or not, but do NOT wait for the oil pump to go. That isn't issues, that's a blown motor. Happy to answer any other questions.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey Dane, seems odd that you are blowing out the cats. Is it the mountain gas you guys get?
Im on stock exhaust and just hit 100,000 mile supercharged from day 1

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey Dane, seems odd that you are blowing out the cats. Is it the mountain gas you guys get?
Im on stock exhaust and just hit 100,000 mile supercharged from day 1
I think it's from seriously getting on it both towing and playing in the sand dunes. My three exhaust issues happened after such trips. I tow a toyhauler coming in around 5,700 dry for some decent distances up mountain passes. You could see daylight through the crack in my last exhaust manifold when it was removed. Both manifold cracks were after separate trips to Killpecker Sand dunes (towing the toy hauler). The cat was after a trip to Yellowstone towing a smaller rental camper. The cat went first and was replaced under warranty. One manifold was replaced under warranty. The second manifold was after my warranty had expired. I had had it by then. Now I have a full true dual Kooks system.

No reason to think it's the gas, but who knows. I just think the exhaust can't take it. Truck runs and always has run great.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How much different do the long tubes make it sound? I have not had the chance to witness and supercharged trucks running headers.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How much different do the long tubes make it sound? I have not had the chance to witness and supercharged trucks running headers.
It's different - deeper and louder, though not NEARLY as bad as I worried it might be. It sounds more aggressive for sure, but it's far from obnoxious. It still puts my wife to sleep like my previous Magnaflow Catback did. I'm very happy with it and glad that it isn't crazy loud.

OP
OP
Landon T

Landon T

Reaction score
Melling oil pump installed and blower mounted. Tommorow some finish up and should be done by the weekend

OP
OP
Landon T

Landon T

Reaction score
Truck runs strong. So far only able to run the roush program as the strategy code installed by Ford isn’t in the SCT system...
working with tuning company and SCT to get it there and be able to flash a custom file onto the Ford.

N2fire

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you having JDM do your tuning? They are the ones who did mine and I couldn't be happier. Good luck with everything!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arizona Free