Rough idle in drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve noticed the same thing while My truck is idling in drive. I just crossed 500 miles today, I haven’t been driving the truck much. It feels like it’s about to shut off

OldGuy

Reaction score
I have similar issue on my 2017 Raptor with 45,000 miles. An intermittent shudder or miss when idling. Runs fine otherwise. Not sure it is a quirk of the engine, or the beginning of a bigger problem. Like to know if anyone has solved similar problem?

LCFarmRaptor

Reaction score
Any other thoughts here or follow up? I just had the same thing happen after 2k miles.

I thought it was bad gas too. But now after the truck is warm. Say 10 mins, the engine light comes on and the the same roughness while driving. Called dealer so will bring in but figure the answer to this is somewhere in the community.

Granelli

Reaction score
Mine has experienced this after the most recent reflash. 2018. I put new plugs (the old ones had 40k) and it ran really sharp but after say 1000 miles, the idle thing came back.

OP
OP
ben2k9

ben2k9

Reaction score
Any other thoughts here or follow up? I just had the same thing happen after 2k miles.

I thought it was bad gas too. But now after the truck is warm. Say 10 mins, the engine light comes on and the the same roughness while driving. Called dealer so will bring in but figure the answer to this is somewhere in the community.
I had them check it out when i took it for an oil change recently. They said it was within spec... :33:

Mine is not super rough, just noticeable. it's like idle rpm should be 100-200 higher and it would smooth out.

LCFarmRaptor

Reaction score
Thanks. I dropped it off at dealer today. I realized the pattern is about 10 miles or about 10 minutes when seems to have warmed up and then this rough engine mode comes on. Engine light does as well. Someone mentioned misfires but anyways hope to get more info soon.

ihoffland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its not a problem. Its just a low idle to conserve fuel. Switch it to sport mode and its gone.

Frankly the truck is kind of boring if you're not in Sport or Baja. Drive it how its meant to be driven.

OP
OP
ben2k9

ben2k9

Reaction score
Thanks. I dropped it off at dealer today. I realized the pattern is about 10 miles or about 10 minutes when seems to have warmed up and then this rough engine mode comes on. Engine light does as well. Someone mentioned misfires but anyways hope to get more info soon.
I don't think an engine light coming on is normal though.

Tibi Steri

Reaction score
I don't think an engine light coming on is normal though.
You are correct - is not normal. Good thing you have your truck checked. My 2019 gen 2 has just 7k miles and the engine never ran smooth at idle, I always felt a small vibration coming from it. After they performed the fix for Cam Phasers TSB, the engine shudder got progressively worse; luckily not too long after the Cam Phasers fix, Ford released another TSB and the dealer reprogramed the PCM in order to "fix" it. Finally the engine idle shudder went back to "normal" but it is still existent. I am thinking to complain about it next time I go in service with the truck but I really don't believe that it will have a positive outcome; I am almost convinced that they will have no idea of what is happening, they will probably ask me to leave the truck with them for at least a week so they can investigate and I will answer something like "No way, you will get my truck only over my dead body"!

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You are correct - is not normal. Good thing you have your truck checked. My 2019 gen 2 has just 7k miles and the engine never ran smooth at idle, I always felt a small vibration coming from it. After they performed the fix for Cam Phasers TSB, the engine shudder got progressively worse; luckily not too long after the Cam Phasers fix, Ford released another TSB and the dealer reprogramed the PCM in order to "fix" it. Finally the engine idle shudder went back to "normal" but it is still existent. I am thinking to complain about it next time I go in service with the truck but I really don't believe that it will have a positive outcome; I am almost convinced that they will have no idea of what is happening, they will probably ask me to leave the truck with them for at least a week so they can investigate and I will answer something like "No way, you will get my truck only over my dead body"!
If what you’re referring to is a slight roughness at idle, that is completely normal, there is nothing to “fix”. V6 engines are not naturally balanced engines like an Inline 6 or V12, therefore there will always be some amount of vibration from the engine that is noticeable at idle.