Rough Idle Error Code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thrashx

Reaction score
I've shared previously how my 18 Raptor has experienced rough idle on a few occasions without triggering errors. Over the last 2 days I've encountered the issue with greater frequency and this time resulting in 10-20% power loss after rough idle. Usually I encounter the issue in traffic at a stop. This time I headed straight to the dealer and they were able to read a P0021 code which is: ECM has determined that the bank 2 intake camshaft is more advanced that what the ECM has commanded it to be. Unfortunately the earliest they can get to it is in 2 weeks. I was going to bring it back but they don't want me driving it so they gave me a loaner. Last year they rebuilt one side of the engine on the cam phaser issue so I suspect this is residual from that? Anyone have experience with this issue? All these issues have been exhausting and a major inconvenience.

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've shared previously how my 18 Raptor has experienced rough idle on a few occasions without triggering errors. Over the last 2 days I've encountered the issue with greater frequency and this time resulting in 10-20% power loss after rough idle. Usually I encounter the issue in traffic at a stop. This time I headed straight to the dealer and they were able to read a P0021 code which is: ECM has determined that the bank 2 intake camshaft is more advanced that what the ECM has commanded it to be. Unfortunately the earliest they can get to it is in 2 weeks. I was going to bring it back but they don't want me driving it so they gave me a loaner. Last year they rebuilt one side of the engine on the cam phaser issue so I suspect this is residual from that? Anyone have experience with this issue? All these issues have been exhausting and a major inconvenience.
Did you buy it used? Well, if it still under warranty than I wouldn't care. With a mass produced vehicle you should expect these problems. Now, doesn't mean it should happen or that I am happy they happen.

OP
OP
T

thrashx

Reaction score
Did you buy it used? Well, if it still under warranty than I wouldn't care. With a mass produced vehicle you should expect these problems. Now, doesn't mean it should happen or that I am happy they happen.
Purchased new. Last year they had the vehicle for almost 5 weeks. This time they gave me an ETA of 3-4 weeks before they know what's up and if parts are needed it could be more. Yes, it's covered under warranty but the mileage is at 55K now and I'm not that excited about the powertrain warranty ending in 5k miles on a vehicle that has had extensive repairs.

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Purchased new. Last year they had the vehicle for almost 5 weeks. This time they gave me an ETA of 3-4 weeks before they know what's up and if parts are needed it could be more. Yes, it's covered under warranty but the mileage is at 55K now and I'm not that excited about the powertrain warranty ending in 5k miles on a vehicle that has had extensive repairs.
Well sorry for that. Get as much stuff done under warranty add possible.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Those DTCs are both for Bank 2 Sensor A. There was a Service Message released to clearing the VCT solenoid. If it can’t be cleared they will need to be replaced. The VCT solenoid is separate from the phaser and can be replaced by only removing the valve cover.

SSM 50067 2015-2021 Various Vehicles - Illuminated Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) With Variable Cam Timing (VCT) DTCs - Diagnostic InformationSome 2015-2021 Ford and Lincoln vehicles may exhibit an illuminated MIL with diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) P0011, P0012, P0014, P0015, P0016, P0017, P0018, P0019, P0021, P0022, P0024 and/or P0025. This may be due to small debris causing the VCT solenoid to stick. Before attempting any component diagnosis or replacement of the VCT solenoid, refer to Powertrain Control and Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) pinpoint test HK12 to cycle the affected VCT solenoid 10 times to attempt to clear the debris. For claiming, use causal part 6M280 and applicable labor operations in Section 10 of the Service Labor Time Standards (SLTS) Manual.

OP
OP
T

thrashx

Reaction score
Those DTCs are both for Bank 2 Sensor A. There was a Service Message released to clearing the VCT solenoid. If it can’t be cleared they will need to be replaced. The VCT solenoid is separate from the phaser and can be replaced by only removing the valve cover.

SSM 50067 2015-2021 Various Vehicles - Illuminated Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) With Variable Cam Timing (VCT) DTCs - Diagnostic InformationSome 2015-2021 Ford and Lincoln vehicles may exhibit an illuminated MIL with diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) P0011, P0012, P0014, P0015, P0016, P0017, P0018, P0019, P0021, P0022, P0024 and/or P0025. This may be due to small debris causing the VCT solenoid to stick. Before attempting any component diagnosis or replacement of the VCT solenoid, refer to Powertrain Control and Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) pinpoint test HK12 to cycle the affected VCT solenoid 10 times to attempt to clear the debris. For claiming, use causal part 6M280 and applicable labor operations in Section 10 of the Service Labor Time Standards (SLTS) Manual.
Spot on, it's exactly what they did! The new VCT Solenoid resolved the issue and the Raptor is running great.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TwistAir

Latest posts