Rotating Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here's a modification that the aftermarket boys ought to have jumped on by now. You know how race trucks and buggies often have on-board lifts that enable the race crew to quickly change a tire? I don't know whether those devices are hydraulic or run by compressed air, but they're permanently mounted, quickly employed, and make a tire change a snap. With a 6,000+ pound Raptor, wouldn't that be THE mod to have? To rotate my tires I use two 5,000 lb capacity floor jacks and two jack stands. I can't do it in the garage because the truck is too wide, my driveway is sloped and I can't do it there, so I have to do it out on the street. It's a real production. On-board lifts would make it really easy by comparison.

Last edited:

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So... is Humvee the only one rotating in the spare tire?

What would the rotation be if using it?

Any disadvantages besides no TPMS?

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So... is Humvee the only one rotating in the spare tire?

What would the rotation be if using it?

Any disadvantages besides no TPMS?

I haven't done it yet nor will I be. My dad is stealig my spare and putting it on the Hummer. But here's the rotation pattern: http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/tiretech/tire_rotation_fg.jpg

No tpms means that your system will be constantly reminding you (I assume). Advantage is that your spare won't age as an unused tire and give you longer tread life for all of your tires.

Banned
Reaction score
Jackstands ftw.
Although I trust my dealer completely, some things are jus fun. If I can do it, and the dealer doesn't have to (warranty) then I will. I love working on my tiny ranger hahaha

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
Almost never have the tires rotated. My rear tires ate it at the TRR with 42000 miles. My fronts are still going strong with a good amount of tread left! 45k and counting

Dabblin

Reaction score
I only go front to back. Never side to side. I have had problems with radial's, for lack of a better term, delaminating/running out if rotation is shifted to side to side. Had Dunlop, firestone, and coopers all go at between 10 to 15K on an Explorer. It would be fine then after having a rotation, about 3-4K miles later I noticed it pulling to one side. Had it aligned and balanced etc. Finally stopped the cross rotation, tires lasting 50-60k now. All the alignment issues leave with new tires. The cross rotation was a bias ply habit, I thought. A bit like aviation, old habits enshrined in "procedures" without any real reason.
Cost me a lot of money in alignments, tires failing before their time etc till I learned.
Hope your experience is better. After it starts pulling to the side, its time for another set of tires, the internal structure is shot, then its same side front to back/back to front. Or you are sending the tire sellers kids through college.
As always its only my opinion others will have a different view.

krww06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good Deal... thanks. I'll be rotating the spare in fairly soon... almost to 5k.

FWIW, if the '12's are like the '11's then your spare wheel/tire is going to be a different color (e.g. my spare is black while all the others are gray). I'm sure someone with a '12 can clarify, but thought I'd mention it just in case.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
^^^Anyone want to drop their spare for this guy? Lol!

I did rotate the spare in. A couple notes:
The spare does NOT come balanced.
The 012's wheels do match.
The spare does NOT have a TPMS.
I am now getting a massage about the TPMS having a fault. Could the truck be that sensitive, if the TPMS is not in one of the 4 locations where the tires are??