Rotating Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI fellas, I rotate my own (imagine that!) every 3K miles using the cross to the rear and bring the rears straight forward as mentioned earlier in the thread and after 29K miles, looks like another 15K is very feasible. Will be very pleased if 45K is attainable with these tires.

FSM

I also do all my own tire rotating... I am at 36k and I know I can get another 15k outa them... I am thinking about buying a set from Ford since they have a employee/retiree 25% discount now..

mrpositraction

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of you are funny. Rotating tires isn't a big deal. What special equipment do you need? I have a $75 SUV jack from Home Depot that I bought 8 years ago and two jack stands I bought from Walmart. I do have an impact to take them off but that is not needed. You can pick up a torque wrench at Orielly's or any parts store (hell, I just bought mine from Ace Hardware) for like $45.

I too don't trust the dealers. This is nothing against the techs that do a good job. I think I read somewhere in here about comparing to a clunk = bad Raptors. I don't look at it like that at all. Why am I going to risk my truck to have a "bad" tech scratch the wheel or worse. I will do it myself. If I **** something up then it is my ********. If someone else does it with my permission......well, I guess it is my ******** :)

Rotating tires doesn't take more than 10 minutes. Level ground. Jack up one rear tire (chock the wheel not coming off the ground), put the jack stand underneath and then jack up the opposite front tire (there is plenty of meat on the A-arm to just lift the one tire off the ground if you pay attention on where you are jacking). Remove both tires and switch. Repeat. I can do this in literally 10 minutes, I will break a sweat, but that is why I keep the fridge close with cold Budweiser in it, my first aid kit :)

Smokinjo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait till you get your Raptor. Rotation on a FX4, lariat or whatever is a lot easier! You have to jack the Raptor way up to get the wheels off the ground. If your jack stands work, they will probably be on the top level and make you nervous. Not saying it can't be done, but it's no piece of cake like it is with other vehicles.

mrpositraction

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait till you get your Raptor. Rotation on a FX4, lariat or whatever is a lot easier! You have to jack the Raptor way up to get the wheels off the ground. If your jack stands work, they will probably be on the top level and make you nervous. Not saying it can't be done, but it's no piece of cake like it is with other vehicles.

I had a Raptor, I rotated tires, ain't no thang! Lift the suspension is what I was saying, not the body.

:peace:

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
bingo...work smarter not harder. Leave the suspension compressed, jack under the rear and under the A-arms, it only needs to be jacked a couple inches rather than a foot to get a tire off

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Question...

What is the proper rotation pattern when rotating in your spare? Also, The owner's manual says every 7,500 miles for the 6.2L but has two asterisks next to it saying "** SVT Raptor vehicles have specific tire rotation intervals; refer to the Maintenance chapter of the supplement", but that doesn't exist (or I can't find it).
So when should we do the rotations?

Last question... I don't have a jack stands so is it OK if I just use 2 jacks?

Last edited:

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As long as your jacks are in good condition, they won't leak down when loaded, and the surface is hard, clean, and level, you should be all right. You won't have a safety factor, though, and since the truck weighs over 3 tons a safety factor would be a good thing to have. Even a couple congrete blocks positioned under the frame would be better than nothing.

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
While it really is easier to have a shop do it I prefer to do this myself since they use a hammer torque stick to tighten and the hammering breaks the chrome sleeves on the lug nuts and they will rust after a winter of salt... I use a hand tool to remove and replace...

The best way to fix that is to (did this with my big trucks) buy your own impact socket and make sure the wheels rather the lug nuts are CLEAN! I know what you mean about the over used sloppy fit impacts damaging the plated finish!!!

---------- Post added at 01:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 PM ----------

Question...

What is the proper rotation pattern when rotating in your spare? Also, The owner's manual says every 7,500 miles for the 6.2L but has two asterisks next to it saying "** SVT Raptor vehicles have specific tire rotation intervals; refer to the Maintenance chapter of the supplement", but that doesn't exist (or I can't find it).
So when should we do the rotations?

Last question... I don't have a jack stands so is it OK if I just use 2 jacks?

I have Discount rotate tires on all of my vehicles every 4k --- at least the ones that I can. Some are different front to rear fitments.