GEN 2 Rotary Polishers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Two Dogs

Reaction score
I have a few polishers.

WIN_20190807_11_28_57_Pro.jpg

Porter Cable 7345 (The sander version, add weight to make polisher). First attempt at machine polishing. Works fantastic across the board.

WIN_20190807_11_34_35_Pro.jpg

Cyclo. Another great machine. Works well in tight spaces due to smaller pads. It is not light, it will give you a workout on vertical panels.

WIN_20190807_11_36_24_Pro.jpg

Torq X. Purchased to return my Porter Cable to full time sander. Got tired of switching and began to wonder about cross contamination. Equal to the P/C and lighter. I like it.

WIN_20190807_11_38_36_Pro.jpg

And last but far from least, a rotary. Dewalt 849X. Soft start, well balanced, runs 4" to 9" pads, pretty much capable of anything. I have had it about a year and still don't trust myself on top end vehicles. I have done 10-12 very rough cars for friends to practice. Haven't burnt any paint, gone through clear coat, etc. I'm just about ready to move up in vehicles. This is a beast, it will compound and polish twice as fast (maybe more) than a random orbit. Done wrong it will hologram, burn paint, go through clear coat. Get something to practice on. My friends have the shiniest hoopties in the city.

TripleE44

Reaction score
The torq DAs leave something to be desired. I’ve got a torq 10fx that’s been decent, but now I’ve just retired it to 3” pad duty for small areas quickly.

I got myself the new Rupes mark 3 with the 15mm throw a few months ago and it’s miiiiiiiles ahead. It’s a little overkill for as much as I do, but I’m kind of a detailing nerd so I like it.

ad8c473917e5bf8c612094e5a89b1ca7.jpg

The griots 6” is a great machine for the do it yourself type dude. I’d suggest that way over anything chemical guys branded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raptor4me

Reaction score
Worth taking a look at the Flex XC 3401 VRG. It is a driven dual action, so is a neat mixture of a dual action and a rotary.
I like mine as it's faster than a standard dual action especially in high contour areas that bring normal DA's to a crawl, but minimizes the risk of burning since it's still dual action.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Johnfaeglasgow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m going to pull the trigger on the 6” Griots DA I think. I don’t know what to do for polished though. I figured, Correcting, Perfecting and Show wax. Probably an orange, black and red pad. Should be a good place to start for all evils [emoji2371]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Johnfaeglasgow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went for both a 3” and a 6” Griots DA polisher in the end with black orange and red pads for each plus glass polish pads for the 3”. Been playing around with different compounds (Griots Glass Polish, Complete Compound, Correcting Cream, Perfecting Cream, Best of Show Wax) and have been amazed with the results [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited: