Rotary Gear Shift Dial Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

King_

Reaction score
Has anyone seen or tried to convert the gen 2 raptor to the new Expedition rotary gear shift dial. I am driving an expedition rental for the next few weeks, and I've got to say, the rotary dial has really started to grow on me. Please keep in mind, I'm not a guru on any of this, and don't even know if it's possible.

I'm simply throwing the idea out there to see if anyone else has thought about trying to make it work for the Raptor. The center consoles look to be very similar, as does much of the dash.

Thoughts?

OP
OP
King_

King_

Reaction score
I have no idea about the Navigator, and changing the selector shouldn't take away from the paddle shifters I wouldn't think. It's all personal preference, I like the dial better, I want to know if it is possible with any bit of ease, or if it would require substantial engineering... yes I know anything is possible with the right amount of money.

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just a question...how do you manually shift with a rotary dial and no paddles...and of course no toggle switch?
I really hate those rotary dials...I've had console shifters in almost every truck I've owned going back to my 1973 F-100 (yes aftermarket B&M Quicksilver)

Raptorguy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a question...how do you manually shift with a rotary dial and no paddles...and of course no toggle switch?
I really hate those rotary dials...I've had console shifters in almost every truck I've owned going back to my 1973 F-100 (yes aftermarket B&M Quicksilver)
The dial shifter looks slick and modern,but there's something comforting about having a traditional shifter in a truck.

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why would anyone want to put that rotary POS in a Raptor? That's one of the reasons I passed on the 2019 Platinum Expedition I ordered and went with the Raptor. Cost to convert? $2982.66 plus labor....

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score

It's weird...you have to push the "M" button in the middle, and then it has two little +/- buttons below the dial. Very awkward, IMO.

hqdefault.jpg

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's weird...you have to push the "M" button in the middle, and then it has two little +/- buttons below the dial. Very awkward, IMO.

That is the same type switch the Explorers have for the drive modes, and the center button is for hill decent control. On our 14, the button was very sticky and the dial was hard to turn as well. years of build up from dirt and cleaning agents, and soda spills really mucked it up.

Waiting to see how long it takes for our 18 explorer to get the same way.

i will stick with a lever.

OP
OP
King_

King_

Reaction score
Well alright, clearly you all hate it, noted. I personally really like it, I highly doubt most of you are out there on the daily driving your truck in Manual utilizing paddle shift. Many other manufacturers offer/have the rotary style in their vehicles. I was curious if it would be something that could be plug and play for those of us that like it, or if it would be much more in depth.

Other than opinions on how you personally feel, does anyone have any input what it would take or experiences with the inner workings of the current selector vs the rotary?