Rooftop Tent anyone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Phil O

Phil O

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Tepui Baja 2 setup on a Front Runner rack. The Baja is SUPER light weight with an almost all mesh canopy (under the rain fly) so definitely only a 3 season kind of tent. If I ever want to take it out of Florida during the Winter I'll have to get a normal Ayer 2 shell to swap out on it with the insulated walls.

View attachment 157420
Nice pic!

OP
OP
Phil O

Phil O

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice setup! Didn't dig through thread, what setup is that?
I have a Leitner designs classic rack and a Camp King rooftop tent. Camp King is fully made in Australia with all Australian products. High quality. Unfortunately not made in America but at least it’s nothing from China!

Simplejack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice! How quick is the setup and breakdown in that one? Do you leave it on your truck all the time or remove it?

Just quick update since I have had it on my truck few weeks and just took it off. Tent is bad ass Iam very happy with it, put it up probably 4-5 minutes taking my time and maybe a minute more closing it up. Can definitely tell its back there im running icon springs option 2 and still had a slight rake which is what I like. Took the tent off for few months till spring.

OP
OP
Phil O

Phil O

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just quick update since I have had it on my truck few weeks and just took it off. Tent is bad ass Iam very happy with it, put it up probably 4-5 minutes taking my time and maybe a minute more closing it up. Can definitely tell its back there im running icon springs option 2 and still had a slight rake which is what I like. Took the tent off for few months till spring.
Oh yeah I had Deavers with the 1” above stock height and that is perfect for the truck. Rear end is now sitting as it was stock height when I didn’t have my setup.

Sgt Beavis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve got the iKamper XCamp on the KB VooDoo bedrack. I’ve been very happy with it. I do some fairly rough off roading in Colorado so I’ve been impressed by how well the VooDoo has held up. The only thing to know is that you need v1 of the mounting brackets for the iKamper. The v2 backets won’t fit due to the thickness of the VooDoo’s crossbars.

The iKamper has been fun. It’s fairly easy to setup. It’s pretty solid in high winds too. But you MUST get the insulation blankets when camping in the Colorado mountains. We froze our butts off a few times, even when camping in July and August. I’m getting the insulation this spring and perhaps investing in a diesel heater. The only other thing is the connection bracket on my iKamper ladder. It broke so I’m looking to replace it.

50822347037_d780b90f2e_c.jpg

50822251331_f3e0e4b92d_c.jpg

ayoustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been looking at bed racks lately. Looking for something to carry a tent that's easy to remove for when I need to haul my motorcycle. Right now I'm thinking my best option in the Thule Xsporter Pro Mid or this rack: https://hutchtents.com/products/custom-rack

My big concern is I'm not sure how the second one mounts onto the bed rails so I'm not sure how easy it'd be to take down. Anybody have any input? Trying to keep price around $700.