Rolled my 3 day old truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think it will likely be totaled as well but one thing that has changed in the last few years is that it takes so much more damage to consider a vehicle 'totaled' any more. Seems like it used to be 50-60% damage would total it out, but I just had a car with 72k damage that the insurance company wanted to fix.

Assuming OP is in Florida (Jacksonville) which is a diminished value state, but...

...they're not going to pay out a diminished value claim if the OP was at-fault, which it sounds like he was.

True I did not take fault into consideration. I do know that insurance companies work with body shops meaning that they could have a 70k ticket like you said and the insurance pays them out in portions at discounted rates. Like lets say they negotiate it down to 55k via parts and labor. That happens.

chris51080

Reaction score
This is interesting, so Collision wouldn't cover it either? Some states have in acted laws to combat unscrouplous insurance companies.

Just as an example, when an uninsured idiot rear ended my wife, we couldn’t collect DV from our insurance company. They fixed the car, and that was that.

When an underinsured idiot hit my car, my insurance company fixed my car, and included the DV claim as part of their “bill” to the underinsured guys insurance. My car was fixed completely, and I received a pro-rated portion of the DV claim because we had reached his insurance limits.

On a third occasion, with someone who actually had proper coverage, my insurance fixed my wife’s car, passed the DV claim on to the insurance of the guy who hit her, and it was paid in full.

The key is that there needs to be an at fault third party for your insurance to go after. They could go after the individuals that are uninsured/underinsured, but my experience is that they don’t. They settle for some percentage and write the remainder off.

Your insurance is not going to pay you for diminished value. They will pay the guy that you hit for his DV claim though.

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes, here is some advice. Find out if you are in a diminished value state?

They will leave it in the body shop for 3-5 months fixing all that
The shop and the insurance company will play games until the come to some numbers that make it work for both of their benefits
In simple terms, the F150 is body on frame so it will be off by mm s and possibly more, no frame machine will pull out an f150 railroad rail frame.
My simple advice is don't say a word to you insurance company that you don't want repeated
work a deal up or sell it out right on your own once the work is finished
find another truck to your liking

sue your own insurance company for the diminished value of the truck you just lost then switch insurance companies to someone who protects your assets better. This is the easiest method to make it work out, otherwise you are just SOL.

good luck with it.
Diminished Value is only applicable if it was not your fault....... Well meaning people here but not informed.

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just as an example, when an uninsured idiot rear ended my wife, we couldn’t collect DV from our insurance company. They fixed the car, and that was that.

When an underinsured idiot hit my car, my insurance company fixed my car, and included the DV claim as part of their “bill” to the underinsured guys insurance. My car was fixed completely, and I received a pro-rated portion of the DV claim because we had reached his insurance limits.

On a third occasion, with someone who actually had proper coverage, my insurance fixed my wife’s car, passed the DV claim on to the insurance of the guy who hit her, and it was paid in full.

The key is that there needs to be an at fault third party for your insurance to go after. They could go after the individuals that are uninsured/underinsured, but my experience is that they don’t. They settle for some percentage and write the remainder off.

Your insurance is not going to pay you for diminished value. They will pay the guy that you hit for his DV claim though.

Then you are not taking bodily injury into the consideration. For if you have BI then you can combine the outstanding property damage into one big ball for them. Depends on the laws of the state but the insurance company I am with now does indeed go after the Under/Un insured drivers to collect. Most do not though.

You are right though DV comes from third party insurer, it sucks that negligent drivers can skate through the law and have nothing to worry about regardless of the damages they cause. Which is why I said if you have a lawyer or the ability to get one then you are going to get all your money. **** on which ever insurance company holds the bags.

the only result the idiot who hit you suffers is dropped insurance and or increased rates.

Enersol

Reaction score
My Raptor burned up and I had not even made my first payment. USSA took about a month to settle but it was because the adjusters could not make it out to the countryside where it was. But when it came to numbers I did my homework and they were only a few hundred dollars off of my estimate. I also had the 20% increase in value on my insurance and they paid that. Check to see if you signed up for that. It was a big help for me. That added about $18,000.