Rocker under-surface rust fix?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jetrocker

Reaction score
The lower sandwiched sheet metal lip on my 2010 Raptor has bubbling paint, which of course indicates rust under it. This is going on on the rocker as well, on the rocker surface above the curved transition from the lip (on the actual sheet metal surface). Not rampant, but fairly present in a lot of areas. I haven't done anything yet aside from scrapping a little bit and tapping around. It actually appears that there is no perforated metal areas, at least not yet!

My question is...what is the best methods to remove the paint in these areas down to bare metal (rotary wire wheel, scrapping tool, something else?) without making a further mess of the surfaces? My intent here, since it's basically underneath the truck or nearly out of eyesight (behind the running boards) is to get back to good bare metal, rattle can spray a rust inhibitor primer, and then finish coat a universal black Rustoleum...so that I can stop further rusting. I'm hoping it's not coming from the inside of the metal out and just started rusting under the poorly applied paint originally from the factory. Maybe a pipe dream...

Thx, Mark

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would take it to the dealer and see if they would take care of it for you. Some have had some good luck going this route......

OP
OP
J

jetrocker

Reaction score
I doubt that would help with a 6 year old truck and it's got a hundred five thousand miles on it

SonnyAK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending on how bad it is, and how reasonable your dealer is, they may take care of it since you're evidently not far out of the warranty...Definitely worth a shot. You can always tackle it yourself later on if it doesn't...

OP
OP
J

jetrocker

Reaction score
As suspected, Ford refused to do anything about the rust,which the dealer clearly acknowledged does exist. I had it quoted, for the heck of it, at the dealer to replace the rockers....$5200! Wow, does this ever leave a bad taste in my mouth for Ford trucks. I may sell this boy, even though I do love it. This condition, and subsequently the value, is going to continue to go down fairly rapidly. It's not to bad now. Mark

siooss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out CorrosionX spray as temp solution to slow/stop spread of rust, etc.
I use on my truck in rust prone areas, this stuff literally climbs up surfaces and into cracks and crevices, such as in between leaf springs. Light coating, more dry to the touch and less dirt attracting than other solutions. Bought mine from Zoro.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TwistAir