Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

GEN 2 Rock lights?

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Lighting Forum [GEN 2]' started by William Henglein, Oct 7, 2020.

1. William Henglein

William Henglein Member

So I have some lights mounted to a roof rack that lights up the side of my truck. I use them at night if I go camping and need to light up an area next to the truck. Unfortunately even small lights are blinding whenever I face the truck. Therefore I’m looking into adding rock lights under the truck in hopes it will provide enough light around the truck for work without being blinding. I am wanting to go cheap since if they fail I can go under the truck, cut the zip ties and quickly add the new rock lights. Does anyone have a recommendation on less expensive rock lights. I’ve never added rock lights. Is there any anything I should consider before adding them? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. erolivas

erolivas Full Access Member

I’m looking at doing the same thing. I’ve been looking at the Rigid Industries rock lights.

3. dillard09

dillard09 Full Access Member

Check out Lux rock lights. Those things are bright as hell. Lot of the jeep guys use them.

4. erolivas

erolivas Full Access Member

Thanks

dillard09 likes this.
  5. desertfox73

desertfox73 Full Access Member

One thing to consider: use RGB lights with a Morimoto module that will allow you to change the light color via cell phone app. Yes, it means you can go full disco mode...but more importantly, it will allow you to select amber or red so you don't blow your night vision in camp.

PS - I use 6 lights on my Jeep. 2 between the wheels on the side, and one at either end. I don't put lights in the wheel wells. I also had brackets made that angle the lights slightly outward since I didn't need light underneath the truck.

William Henglein likes this.
  6. Oldfart

Oldfart FRF Addict

There's a new company called "Oldfart Industries" that just came out with rock lights. They are plug and play and VERY affordable. If you are interested, I know the owner and I can hook you up. Here's a picture of the "River Rock Edition".

upload_2020-10-29_19-23-2.png

7. GordoJay

GordoJay Full Access Member

River rock? It sure looks like a potato to me. I'll take two. One for each tailpipe. :D

8. Oldfart

Oldfart FRF Addict

:happy175: I didn't see/think that until after I took the picture. It's a big river rock from a river near me. I looked at the picture after I downloaded it and thought, "It looks like a damn potato!"

9. William Henglein

William Henglein Member

If you have this system will it remember the last color you used after switch on the axillary switches, or do you have to have the remote to turn the lights on? What brand do you recommend?

10. desertfox73

desertfox73 Full Access Member

My experience is that when I turn the rock lights off, I start from the beginning the next time I turn them on - meaning, they turn on white, and I need to change to whatever color I want. But given that changing them takes about 5 seconds, it's never been an issue for me.

The Morimoto site says this: "The outputs are based on an industry-standard JST 4-wire RGB+ setup - making it compatible with most any RGB accessories (not just ones from Morimoto)". You may want to confirm with whichever rock light manufacturer you go with (or maybe contact Morimoto directly), but it sounds like they are compatible with many companies' rock lights.

I had my shop handle it, so I didn't have to figure that out on my own. I'm lazy.

But the feature is AWESOME. Very helpful in camp, and my 2-year-old daughter loves that I can make the underside of my truck pink. Both situations are vital to being happy.