Road trip with a family of 5 over 3500 miles and 12 days. How does the Raptor hold up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not sure EVs place is densely populated urban areas. If I didn’t live in my own home where I could reliable charge it every night, I’d never consider owning one. Densely populated, at least to me, wreaks of apartment buildings with no charging.
They are trying to make it mandatory for all new build apartment buildings to have EV chargers in Durango.
My urban area comment was due to the intense smog of big cities.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I truly have never represented myself to be the sharpest tool in the shed. I know what I know but there are many things I don't know. However, it seems like it's been a long time since I've seen intense smog in cities in the US. I've seen it so bad in places like Beijing, certain cities in India, where they have zero scrubbers on large smokestacks, etc.

As for chargers in densely populated areas, I guess in places like Colorado where there are a lot of empty spaces to continue to build that's doable. But take a place like NY, the crapola state I live in. There is not really a whole heck of a lot of new apartment bldg going on except ultra expensive sliver bldgs in NYC. There's just no land left to build on.

I was only saying personally if I couldn't charge at home, an EV is a def no go for me. As it stands now, I love my Raptor and wouldn't trade it for any vehicle. My wife's vehicle is a 2021 Cayenne GTS, V8, a beast in sound and power. If I needed a third vehicle, I'd consider maybe a EV Mustang, maybe a Tesla. I'd never take a long trip and have to rely on chargers along highways, etc. Once they have a range equal to my Raptor, approximately 500 miles, then they've hit prime time. I guess the Lucid may be the closest, but that's a rich person's vehicle, not one I could afford.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is an older comment, but we have a 2022 Escalade ESV with the mini duramax and supercruise. Its a road trip machine. Getting ~600 miles to the tank and supercruise is fantastic. If you road trip to Idaho, you're more than welcome to try it out. Only caveat with supercruise is that its less of the highways are routed/mapped here in Idaho. Less of an issue on the east coast.
That is a very kind offer. Our daughter and son in law live pretty far from you. They are up in Genesee, Idaho. Previously in Pullman, Wa, Moscow, Id. She left NY and went to school at WSU, U of I, and is now in nursing school in Lewiston, ID.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am not sure about NYC, but when you drive into Denver or LA and see the smog cloud over the city, that’s intense to me. I can see how EV could reduce that density of smog in those areas and be way more healthy for the folks that choose to live and work there.

mts

Reaction score
The California EV owner talking about how practical EV's are for longer trips..........in certain parts of the country, like California, sure, you can make it work fine. In other areas without the requisite infrastructure density not as much.

Just for giggles, get on your Tesla app and plot your course from mid-state Ohio to somewhere in mid Florida (very common winter drive for that part of the country) in a Model 3. Tell me how fun that trip looks. 6 or 7 stops of 55-70 minutes each. No thanks.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mandate EV’s but announce brown and black outs. CA does not have enough power already, they want more consumption tho. What kind of stupid policy is that, buy EV’s only, but don’t charge it until we say.