Road noise on my 2021 Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bullet Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the windshield. Had a car in the other day that had a horrible wind noise. Windshield was not installed correctly. Created turbulence/noise right at the top of windshield right above the steering wheel. Did NOT leak (water). Vehicle was a Honda but non-less check the windshield. Also check outside mirror mounting. Try folding the mirror in and driving it see if the noise changes.
I had the same issue with a windshield. I was told that when built, the windshield installation machine ran out of sealer leaving a 12" spot at the bottom in front of the passenger. I thought that the truck (F350) was noisy, and I couldn't figure out why. Finally, it rained. (500 miles on it) Water spewed in and hit my wife in the face at highway speed. It was actually pretty funny. Even she laughed and said, throw me a bar of soap.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How do you align the rear wheels? Only the front gets aligned.

I do not know. I have made an appointment with another dealership and will ask them about it.

Gen 1 and gen 2 (leaf spring) you can loosen the u bolts (technically you should replace the u bolts) and you can slide it “some” as there is a little clearance between outside diameter on the pin to inside diameter of the spring bearing plate.

Gen 3 probably uses fixed length control arms so no adjustment there. It may have an adjustable track bar though.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Gen 1 and gen 2 (leaf spring) you can loosen the u bolts (technically you should replace the u bolts) and you can slide it “some” as there is a little clearance between outside diameter on the pin to inside diameter of the spring bearing plate.

Gen 3 probably uses fixed length control arms so no adjustment there. It may have an adjustable track bar though.
I don't think it has the ability to adjust the rears at all. Most likely what they will just end up doing is rotating the tires which in my opinion should be done every 5k on these tires. Even the Gen 2 listed above does not adjust caster or camber. Doubtful the rear has adjustable control arms but it sounds like you are coming from the Jeep world just like me :) I think it has a panhard rod. I get mine next week so I can report if I am hearing any extra noise but again coming from mud tire world (KM2/KM3) for the past 13 years, anything seems like it is going to be quiet.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't think it has the ability to adjust the rears at all. Most likely what they will just end up doing is rotating the tires which in my opinion should be done every 5k on these tires. Even the Gen 2 listed above does not adjust caster or camber. Doubtful the rear has adjustable control arms but it sounds like you are coming from the Jeep world just like me :) I think it has a panhard rod. I get mine next week so I can report if I am hearing any extra noise but again coming from mud tire world (KM2/KM3) for the past 13 years, anything seems like it is going to be quiet.
Yea, leaf sprung would be plan view translations and small amount of rotation.

Nope, not a jeep guy, just automotive in general. Actually I would say track bar got stuck in my head from when I was looking carli/Thuren and heavy duty rams. Pan hard, track bar, etc same task. But yes, I believe they are called a panhard in this application.

OP
OP
R

ray0409

Reaction score
I had the same issue with a windshield. I was told that when built, the windshield installation machine ran out of sealer leaving a 12" spot at the bottom in front of the passenger. I thought that the truck (F350) was noisy, and I couldn't figure out why. Finally, it rained. (500 miles on it) Water spewed in and hit my wife in the face at highway speed. It was actually pretty funny. Even she laughed and said, throw me a bar of soap.
Sorry to hear that Mine does not leak. The sealer around the windshield looks good.

OP
OP
R

ray0409

Reaction score
My 21 gen 3 is pretty quiet to me... I'm coming from a 19MY ram with KO2, and also a 20MY ram stock big horn trim.

19MY ram with KO2 was very loud. No doubt. 20MY ram was quiet, because it was stock.

This raptor is quieter than both, and it has 35" KO2.

The only time you can hear them, and actually make it loud is when you put it on the "slippery" drive mode. Slippery drive mode turns off ALL types of noise processing, I think. So it turns off the annoying kind (fake engine), and also the good kind (hides the wind noise and road noise).

So drive it in slippery mode, put exhaust tone to quiet, and you will hear the real noise. The other drive modes should be quiet... at least it is for me.

Or, dont drive in the left lane all the time, where the middle boundary acts as a mirror and reflects all noise back to you.
Thanks for the information! I have almost always driven in the right lane. The exhaust is also in quiet mode. I did turn on slippery mode when it rains, but the noise does not change much.

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2018 was reading 75db at 70mph on BFG K02s at 46k miles. It dropped to about 68db when I got new Nitto Ridge Grapplers.

I took a couple of reference points, same road and speed:
Basic 2020 F150 on Goodyear Wranglers with 22k miles = 64db

2020 Ford Explorer (new) 62db (don’t know exact tire but basically an all season Street tire)

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One more comment, 73db seems a bit high to me for new Gen3 as you posted above. For normal exhaust modes etc I would expect maybe 65-68db??? The difference between 65db and 75db is a lot.

Bullet Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One more comment, 73db seems a bit high to me for new Gen3 as you posted above. For normal exhaust modes etc I would expect maybe 65-68db??? The difference between 65db and 75db is a lot.
I totally agree with you Sonicsunspot, that does sound rather loud. If memory serves me; my 2019 Raptor at 70 mph was ~68 dB when new. My current 2020 King Ranch reads 64 db. It would be interesting to hear what dB readings others are having at 70 mph with their Gen 3's. Of course, readings would vary due to measuring instrument used, roadway surface, traffic, and amount of wear on the tires as tire compounds get harder as tires wear down.

I would contribute, but I'm still in line...

200.gif

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm also getting about 75db at 70mph in a 2017 on ridgegrapplers, and was wondering what others were getting.

I gotta get some rebuilt shocks, so maybe that will help a few db, but I'm not sure.