Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

GEN 2 Ripped tail gate

Discussion in 'Ford F-150 Raptor General Discussions [GEN 2]' started by hedonist222, Jan 26, 2020.

1. EricM

EricM FRF Addict

"As he was driving it on..."

2. dewalt

dewalt FRF Addict

3. hedonist222

hedonist222 Full Access Member

Yep
    Certainly won't be repairing.
    Either stock or aftermarket.

I said repair in my initial post because I was hoping superior would say 'yeah, you can just replace the outer panel without having to get a whole new tail gate'. But I doubt I can easily do that.

Yep, going to get a new tail gate and replace the coupler.

Yep intend to get a new coupler.
    This trailer came with the buggy I purchases and I preferred it has a pin system but it didn't. It was me at the time. Had no more than 500 miles on it and I put another 500 miles. Visually it looks ok. The notch isn't worn down so much that I can lift the clasp off without lifting the clasp.

The axle on my trailer is not centered. It is 60/40 , with the 60 part towards the trailer end/tank.
    So load is slightly shifted towards the trailer tongue/vehicle.

But yep, it happened while driving up the ramp.

Yes, want something with a pin mechanism. So that even if the notch wears away, the pin secures it.

4. zombiekiller

zombiekiller FRF Addict

you really need to get rear stabilization jacks on that trailer. I'm guessing that it is probably not dovetailed. once you get them, you need to actually use them.

As far as the tailgate, there are no aftermarket options that I'm aware of in the states. Your best choice is to probably have a complete tailgate shell shipped to you. I doubt that there are tons of junkyards where you're at.

Strapping the trailer to the hitch won't really do that much to make it safer. You have to support the rear of the trailer. thus why I'd recommend stabilization jacks.

you're using a 2-inch ball. it isn't what I'd call heavy duty. It is certainly not heavy duty enough to hit the trailer ramps in anything heavier than a motorcycle at 5-6mph.

Hell, I crawl my rig onto the trailer. I put my truck in 4 low before I put it on my trailer and I use stabilization jacks to load and unload.

5. hedonist222

Thanks zombie killer
    It's not a dove tail
    But the gate itself is tall
    Almost 6 feet
    So the angle of approach isn't steep

20180629_122424.jpg

6. zombiekiller

zombiekiller FRF Addict

trailer tires have the WORST QC ever.

I've had F rated trailer tires completely delaminate at 5000 miles. took out the tire directly in front of it and the belt cut the wiring harness and ejected a marker light. No real warning either.
    It happened at 1am 100 miles west of Tuscon. it suuuuuuuuucked.

I'm now running what are essentially downsized steer tires from a semi-truck on my trailer. I also added trailer TPMS and temp sensors to make sure that I'm loaded flat and that one tire isn't showing any temp or pressure anomalies. I also carry two spares because of the incident above.

Sometimes I wish I could avoid my own trailer, so I think you're being wise to do so.

Apparently I'm part of the small minority that actually cares enough to properly maintain my trailer. ( and it is absolutely annoying, but I'd rather be annoyed than dead.)

I see cobbled together trailers regularly and it terrifies me any time that I'm forced to be near them.

7. zombiekiller

zombiekiller FRF Addict

you're putting enough force on the tailgate to uncouple the trailer and cause damage.

If you simply spend the $100USD for the stabilization jacks and have mounts added to the trailer, when you engage them, the trailer physically cannot end up being a lever any longer. At that point, you could probably use the trailer as a launch ramp.

It doesn't matter how steep or long the ramp is. you're creating enough force to unlatch the trailer. And loading a buggy on that thing at anything faster than a slow crawl is asinine and foolish. you arent overcoming some steep angle, so if you continue to do the same thing, you really made your own decision and should accept the consequences and damage.

8. hedonist222

Yeah trailer tires are generally low quality.
    At least the ones available locally.
    Made in Vietnam and I wouldn't put them on a mountain bicycle.

I maintain mine as well
    Lube the joints
    Tighten bolts
    Check tire pressure every time I load my buggy

I got the best trailer tire available
    Bridgestone duravis

Ban_Mobil_Bridgestone_Duravis_R624_165_R13_C_8PR_94_92_R_.jpg

9. hedonist222

Not arguing with you.
    In fact I agree with you and intend to remedy this.

Your elaboration adds value to others who are reading this.

Thanks.

10. JasonSTL

JasonSTL Member

Got any pics of the buggy that you load on the trailer?