GEN 2 Ripped tail gate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just think this is the sort of stuff on the road. And a hi way tractor is harassed daily. Would you really want to follow this

I avoid all trailers. Trailer tires are the worst tire sold, right after RV tires.

Want another one to avoid? Van with ladders all over the top. Seen those come off at highway speeds.

Another? The crackhead with 167 million pallets held on with one ******** his 97 F150. Seen those come off at highway speeds too. Dumb **** looked so surprised that they came loose when he hopped out to survey his wreckage. A couple asian POS sedans just drove right over full wooden pallets and kept rolling like it was no big deal. I managed to see both of them coming loose and avoided both the pallet guy and the ladder guy.

JasonSTL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s going to require replacement. I’d look for a used one, car-part.com to start. Are you sure you have the right size ball for that trailer. For that to happen twice, you need a new coupler or the correct size ball.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Dubai, huh. I see "England" stamped on the hitch. Metric hitch, Imperial ball?

I did a home inspection last week for an engineer that designs and installs indoor skydiving simulators. He said they did one in Dubai that was challenging because some of the tools had to be "customized" due to design changes on the fly, I guess due to availability of whatever hardware they had to come up with. Just an interesting aside story.

OP
OP
hedonist222

hedonist222

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s going to require replacement. I’d look for a used one, car-part.com to start. Are you sure you have the right size ball for that trailer. For that to happen twice, you need a new coupler or the correct size ball.

Yep
Certain

But the notch that clasp goes over appears to have become dull.
The clasp is tight of I pull upwards with all my strength.
But the two times the clasp came undone was when I rode the buggy you the ramp a little too fast. I'd say about 9kph/6mph. And as soon as the tires, at that speed, can't in contact with the trailer bed at that angle, it came undone.

I'll be getting a new coupler soon. But in the mean time I wrap a tie down around the coupler handle & chain the trailer to the tow point on the car.

See photos in next post :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
hedonist222

hedonist222

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dubai, huh. I see "England" stamped on the hitch. Metric hitch, Imperial ball?

I did a home inspection last week for an engineer that designs and installs indoor skydiving simulators. He said they did one in Dubai that was challenging because some of the tools had to be "customized" due to design changes on the fly, I guess due to availability of whatever hardware they had to come up with. Just an interesting aside story.

Both coupler and ball are 50mm

20181203_110509-01.jpeg

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i ride my quads up on my trailer but only after i have it hooked on to the truck and the safety chains connected. as far as tailgate, you will probably spend the same on repairs as you could get a new one.

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OP, spend a few dollars and purchase a new coupler and bolt it onto the trailer tongue, they’re inexpensive. Insure you get one with a pin that when inserted prevents the coupler from being removed. Make sure you use 2 adequately sized safety chains to attach the trailer to the tow vehicle.

CR Gittere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try putting more tongue weight on your trailer by moving the buggy forward. You need to have more weight on the front than the rear....