RIP Quick Sealant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
AdamsPolishes

AdamsPolishes

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
H2O Guard & Gloss on Wheels

Well, its gonna rain tomorrow, but I went ahead and washed the Raptor so I could demo the H2O Guard & Gloss (HGG) on the wheels.

After I finished the wash, I left the wheels wet. I took a Single Soft Towel, got it wet, and wrung it out, not too dry, but not dripping.

20151025_155034.jpg

I folded the towel in quarters, then put 5-6 sprays of HGG on the towel, and wiped the surfaces of the wheel, going over it 2-3 times, making sure I did not miss any areas.

I did not spray the product directly on the wheel, to avoid having gloops end up in places that would be hard to get wiped.

20151025_155132.jpg

I used a dry Single Soft Towel and wiped the wheel, leaving a nice, even shine.

On the next wheel, I switched to a clean quarter of the towel, sprayed more product on the towel, wiped the wheel, then dried with the dry towel. Repeated for the remaining two wheels.

The reason I switched to a clean part of the towel for each wheel is that you end up with some dirt on the towel, getting to the inner parts of the wheels, since the towel ends up touching the calipers, rotors, barrel, etc. This prevents scratching the wheel by using a dirty towel. I will also wipe the outer face of the wheel first, and then do in inner areas last.

In this photo, you can see what the towel picked up, and I cleaned the wheel really good with the Short Wheel Brush, the Trim & Lug Nut Brush, and the Wheel Woolie.

20151025_155731.jpg

Not the best pic, as the light was not great when I finished, but the HGG does give some good shine, and will last about a month on the wheels.

20151025_160140.jpg

The good thing is, it took less than five minutes to do all four wheels. I found that this was faster than using Quick Sealant, as I would spend way more time than that just getting the wheels dry in order to apply the Quick Sealant.

One more tip, use dedicated towels on your wheels, don't use a towel on your paint that you previously used on your wheels, even if it gets washed. I use the Borderless Gray Towels for HGG on paint, trim and glass, then use the Single Soft Towels for wheels.

-Dan

cbcgeneral

FRF Addict
Reaction score
H2O Guard & Gloss on Wheels

Well, its gonna rain tomorrow, but I went ahead and washed the Raptor so I could demo the H2O Guard & Gloss (HGG) on the wheels.

After I finished the wash, I left the wheels wet. I took a Single Soft Towel, got it wet, and wrung it out, not too dry, but not dripping.

View attachment 69520

I folded the towel in quarters, then put 5-6 sprays of HGG on the towel, and wiped the surfaces of the wheel, going over it 2-3 times, making sure I did not miss any areas.

I did not spray the product directly on the wheel, to avoid having gloops end up in places that would be hard to get wiped.

View attachment 69521

I used a dry Single Soft Towel and wiped the wheel, leaving a nice, even shine.

On the next wheel, I switched to a clean quarter of the towel, sprayed more product on the towel, wiped the wheel, then dried with the dry towel. Repeated for the remaining two wheels.

The reason I switched to a clean part of the towel for each wheel is that you end up with some dirt on the towel, getting to the inner parts of the wheels, since the towel ends up touching the calipers, rotors, barrel, etc. This prevents scratching the wheel by using a dirty towel. I will also wipe the outer face of the wheel first, and then do in inner areas last.

In this photo, you can see what the towel picked up, and I cleaned the wheel really good with the Short Wheel Brush, the Trim & Lug Nut Brush, and the Wheel Woolie.

View attachment 69522

Not the best pic, as the light was not great when I finished, but the HGG does give some good shine, and will last about a month on the wheels.

View attachment 69523

The good thing is, it took less than five minutes to do all four wheels. I found that this was faster than using Quick Sealant, as I spent way more time than that just getting the wheels dry in order to apply the Quick Sealant.

One more tip, use dedicated towels on your wheels, don't use a towel on your paint that you previously used on your wheels, even if it gets washed. I use the Borderless Gray Towels for HGG on paint, trim and glass, then use the Single Soft Towels for wheels.

-Dan

I'm happy and a little relieved to see that it works well but it doesn't help the pain that I feel deep down inside over losing one of my favorite product. It's just such a sad day. I think I'm going either organize a memorial or hunt down the gay ass :supergay: ************* that thinks that a few people detailing their vehicles with an awesome product are going to hurt something so they banned it and make them suffer like they have done to me. :ROFLJest: still trying to figure out what route I'm going to take lol.

OP
OP
AdamsPolishes

AdamsPolishes

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Well, @cbcgeneral, you do have a good supply of QS, so reserve it for those special areas where it excels, and then use HGG for everything else.

I also forgot to mention that when I was done with the wheels, I hit the running boards with the towel that had a good amount of HGG in it, made them shine up nice, and super fast to do every couple of washes. When I had used QS on the running boards, I always had to apply it the next day when they were bone dry, as the doors drip water on them for hours after a wash.

-Dan

cbcgeneral

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well, @cbcgeneral, you do have a good supply of QS, so reserve it for those special areas where it excels, and then use HGG for everything else.

I also forgot to mention that when I was done with the wheels, I hit the running boards with the towel that had a good amount of HGG in it, made them shine up nice, and super fast to do every couple of washes. When I had used QS on the running boards, I always had to apply it the next day when they were bone dry, as the doors drip water on them for hours after a wash.

-Dan

Ok Sensei I'll take your advice and just learn to deal with it lol. I am going to make it last as long as I can so I have to fall back to on the lazy days that I don't feel like washing my truck but want clean and shiny wheels. Hopefully the guys at Adam's will wind up coming up with something even better to take it's place eventually.

Gilligan

Reaction score
I'm happy and a little relieved to see that it works well but it doesn't help the pain that I feel deep down inside over losing one of my favorite product. It's just such a sad day. I think I'm going either organize a memorial or hunt down the gay ass :supergay: ************* that thinks that a few people detailing their vehicles with an awesome product are going to hurt something so they banned it and make them suffer like they have done to me. :ROFLJest: still trying to figure out what route I'm going to take lol.

I have 3 new cans, I actually haven't tried it yet so I won't know what I'm missing if I sell them..

$100 a can plus shipping? If you buy all 3 i'll toss in the little handle sprayer ! haha

OP
OP
AdamsPolishes

AdamsPolishes

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Does Deep Wheel Cleaner remove H20 G&G as well?

Short answer - Yes.

Long answer - How much it ends up degrading or actually removing the HGG, or other sealant, depends on how much metallic brake dust is on your wheels. Deep Wheel Cleaner (DWC) is close to neutral as it is sprayed, so it would not remove the HGG if your wheels were clean to begin with. As the DWC reacts with the metallic particles in the brake dust (which makes it change colors to a dark purple), the pH changes, and if it changes enough it will degrade or completely strip the sealant off the wheel. So if you use the DWC and it changes color, reapply the HGG.

Also note that for those or you that have hoarded Quick Sealant, the HGG will not last as long as Quick Sealant, so you will need to use HGG about once a month.

I will also point out that if you keep your wheels sealed up, then your don't necessarily need to use DWC every time you wash. With sealed wheels, many times just Car Wash Shampoo is adequate to remove the dust and dirt (psssst - shampoo is cheaper than DWC, and smells better).

I use DWC twice a year, and then keep the wheels sealed and then just clean with Car Wash Shampoo. Note that this is with the stock pads and rotors. If you have other pads that create more dust and you see color change every time you use DWC, then you may need to adjust how often you use DWC, which also depends on how long it was since your last wash.

Wash weekly and keep the wheels sealed, try using just shampoo. Wash every 6 months, use DWC.

-Dan

---------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 PM ----------

I have 3 new cans, I actually haven't tried it yet so I won't know what I'm missing if I sell them..

$100 a can plus shipping? If you buy all 3 i'll toss in the little handle sprayer ! haha

Shame on you...trying to profit from our grief.

:ROFLJest:

-Dan

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Short answer - Yes.

Long answer - How much it ends up degrading or actually removing the HGG, or other sealant, depends on how much metallic brake dust is on your wheels. Deep Wheel Cleaner (DWC) is close to neutral as it is sprayed, so it would not remove the HGG if your wheels were clean to begin with. As the DWC reacts with the metallic particles in the brake dust (which makes it change colors to a dark purple), the pH changes, and if it changes enough it will degrade or completely strip the sealant off the wheel. So if you use the DWC and it changes color, reapply the HGG.

Also note that for those or you that have hoarded Quick Sealant, the HGG will not last as long as Quick Sealant, so you will need to use HGG about once a month.

I will also point out that if you keep your wheels sealed up, then your don't necessarily need to use DWC every time you wash. With sealed wheels, many times just Car Wash Shampoo is adequate to remove the dust and dirt (psssst - shampoo is cheaper than DWC, and smells better).

I use DWC twice a year, and then keep the wheels sealed and then just clean with Car Wash Shampoo. Note that this is with the stock pads and rotors. If you have other pads that create more dust and you see color change every time you use DWC, then you may need to adjust how often you use DWC, which also depends on how long it was since your last wash.

Wash weekly and keep the wheels sealed, try using just shampoo. Wash every 6 months, use DWC.

-Dan

Thanks for the information, Dan. Although it'd be nice to have a clean truck on a regular basis, the weather in Houston this year hasn't really allowed for it. And I wont' waste my time washing the truck if there's rain in the forecast. So I've been using DWC every time I wash. But I may just start to use the foam gun and the wheel brush on the wheels going forward. Thanks, Dan.

cbcgeneral

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Man that's harsh. And to think I gave you such a good deal on that brand new Dirtydeeds exhaust and in return you're trying to mark up some sealant on me like I'm a crack fiend look for a fix. :ROFLJest::ROFLJest:But seriously you can just mail them to me whenever you get a chance for free since we're internet friends lol.