Ringing coming from driver side dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cbryant1004

Reaction score
Just to elaborate a bit. I brought my truck into Ford service back in November for regular maintenance and they called me to let me know the Cam Phasers were being replaced. Drove to ATL (400mi) the following week and as I got near ATL, I noticed a faint ringing coming from the driver's side dash. Best way I can explain it is like a high pitched ringing (almost like keys jingling) but again very faint but enough to where its annoying. The ringing would last for about a few seconds, stop for 10-20 seconds, then start again. After maybe an 30-45min it would stop completely.

I tried things like turning off the stereo, turning off the steering wheel heat, changing steering modes, changing steering wheel position, changing drive modes, turning off cruise control. Nothing seemed to keep it from ringing. No dash lights indicating any issues.

While I was in ATL for the week I didn't experience the issue, however I was only driving from the hotel to work and back (roughly 5mi). Then on my way back home, it started again. It happened one other time while driving on the highway here in Tampa but since then I haven't really noticed it. I don't drive a ton, but wondering what this could be? I can't really bring this up to Ford as it's almost impossible to reproduce.

Any of you might know what it could potentially be?

2019 802A Raptor with 25k miles. Original owner and have never heard this before my Cam Phaser service. And this is something I would have noticed before.

Sunchild714

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it this:

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
You might try rotating the tires. My 18 would give off a high pitch buzzing sound at the driver dash on certain highways at around 60-65 mph on very smooth roads. The front tires get worn down in such a fashion to cause resonance in particular situations. It happened on 2 different sets of stock tires.

OP
OP
C

cbryant1004

Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies. I know the wastegate rattling which I can really only hear on startup and it's more of a rattle than a ringing, so I don't believe that is it. Tire rotation, balance, and even alignment were part of the service done in Nov. If it happens again I'll definitely try to capture on video.

Sunchild714

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies. I know the wastegate rattling which I can really only hear on startup and it's more of a rattle than a ringing, so I don't believe that is it. Tire rotation, balance, and even alignment were part of the service done in Nov. If it happens again I'll definitely try to capture on video.
I'm not talking about Westgate. It's the IWE system. Look at the video in the thread I posted. IWE sounds different on trucks. Some have a rattling, grinding, or slirping sound. Check it out

OP
OP
C

cbryant1004

Reaction score
I'm not talking about Westgate. It's the IWE system. Look at the video in the thread I posted. IWE sounds different on trucks. Some have a rattling, grinding, or slirping sound. Check it out
Ahh.. My apologies. So I did look at those vids and it's definitely NOT that. I drove to Atlanta this past week and was able to capture it on video. See below. It may be best to play on computer speakers. I know I had the phone pointing at the driver's side air vent, but it almost sounds like it's coming from the steering wheel? It's completely random, and again it only seems to happen while driving on the highway and it takes about an hour or so of driving before it starts. I'm curious on what you all think

peavey02

Reaction score
The sound reminds me of a fan in a computer or router rubbing inside its case.

Did you have the fans blowing air? Does the sound go away if the fans are turned all the way up? On heat or A/C.

Have you pushed down on all the door panels, vent covers, dash board, and A pillar while driving to see if it stops?

OP
OP
C

cbryant1004

Reaction score
The sound reminds me of a fan in a computer or router rubbing inside its case.

Did you have the fans blowing air? Does the sound go away if the fans are turned all the way up? On heat or A/C.

Have you pushed down on all the door panels, vent covers, dash board, and A pillar while driving to see if it stops?
AC was off as it was cold outside. I had the steering wheel heat on. I've tried everything from adjusting steering wheel position, turning on/off cruise control, turning on/off lane keep assist (which I have off as a default), AC on/off, media console on/off, ensuring nothing is loose or rattling etc. I think I've even tried shifting into 4A with no difference.

Again, it's random as hell when it happens and it actually took me a few times to capture on the phone because when it starts, sometimes it'll only ring for a couple seconds then disappear for 10min or so.