Rigid Radiance Scene Backlight Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
L

ljn21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I hadn't heard back from him yet. Hope so.

Sorry John, got comsumed over the weekend with getting our boat cleaned up and ready to go into the water and didnt have time to facetime. We were out later tonight running to get groceries and got home after dark. Radiance backlights were on when the headlamps were on via auto setting, stayed on with all positions of the switch and while both in drive and in park. Just that they are not on in daytime at all unless truck is on/engine off and headlamp dwitch turned to on. Will you when I get free to facetime with you.

Fireguy144

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are only the second person I have heard with a similar situation. In that case, they put the pin in the WRONG location. I would expect that may be what you did?

If not, you might check where you crimped the pin wire to the butt connector inside the cab (pass through wires) to be sure you have a good connection and it isn't loose, as well as the connection in the engine bay to the backlight white wire.

See pics and verify where the pin was installed.

The other black spots may give you power in different scenarios but only when certain equipment may be turned on. That's probably why you get intermittent power (unless you don't have a good connection)

View attachment 142077 View attachment 142078 View attachment 142079
hello everyone
what is everyone using to make the connections at the uplifted switches? I want to install it myself. How easy is it ?

Fireguy144

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I can only post 5 pics at a time. So I did my best. I almost need 4 hands. One to hold the light, one to hold the plug, one to hold the camera/phone and one to hold the plug.. lol

this first set is the terminal tool. Menards, $1.99. I’m sure you can find others somewhere else. Great for inside electric too, which is its primary function. Like a pointed screw driver. The part number is also in the pic so I’m sure you can even buy it online at menards.com or any other hardware/electric store...

once inserted, you can pull the pin out the backside.

View attachment 142135 View attachment 142136 View attachment 142137 View attachment 142138 View attachment 142139
hi
is that a connection switch in your hand ? Did you use that to make all the connections ?
thanks

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
hello everyone
what is everyone using to make the connections at the uplifted switches? I want to install it myself. How easy is it ?

Our harness includes weatherproof heat shrinkable wire connectors that you crimp onto the factory upfitters. Really simple and easy.

Specialtyperformanceparts

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
hello everyone

depending on which lights, I assume you mean a fog kit. Here is a complete install video. If you want to see the connections to the switches, look around the 28-29 minute mark. It shows you many ways to do this, including if you really want to be fancy, using bullet connectors for quick removal and you can plug and unplug them to swap switches any time. The second video shows the Backlight wire installation that was the original topic of this thread. If you have a Radiance kit, that kit accesses ignition power.

John
Spvparts.com

Bruce Comer

Reaction score
What I thought I was getting was lights that come on when I unlock the vehicle (with the marker lights) and what I got was lights that come on when I remote start the vehicle, or turn on the ignition.

I would really like to know how I can connect them to the marker lights and have them on all the time, to include when I push the unlock on my remote.

Any Suggestions? (I am not good at reading wiring diagrams, still throwing up from the first one)

Also, I bought the from SPV and also used their backlight wire kit installed as directed (assume same as the creator of this post).

Bruce

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
SPV didn't create this post, they are just a vendor on here that you bought from.

We also sell a triple fog light kit and honestly if you want the amber back lights to come on with your marker lights, you'll need to tap into the fuse that also controls those marker lights. You can also tap into the wire for the marker lights and go to a relay. Your marker lights will trigger the relay, which will turn your radiance back-lights on. If you plan to also control your back lighting from and upfitter you'll also need a diode BUT if you only plan to control the back lighting from the "marker" lights (when those are on, back lighting is on) then no need. But I recommend a relay.

You said you are not good at reading diagrams so i'd suggest taking it to a well known shop in your area to have them wire it up as you want.

Specialtyperformanceparts

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
What I thought I was getting was lights that come on when I unlock the vehicle (with the marker lights) and what I got was lights that come on when I remote start the vehicle, or turn on the ignition.

I would really like to know how I can connect them to the marker lights and have them on all the time, to include when I push the unlock on my remote.

Any Suggestions? (I am not good at reading wiring diagrams, still throwing up from the first one)

Also, I bought the from SPV and also used their backlight wire kit installed as directed (assume same as the creator of this post).

Bruce

Hey Bruce,

The only way to have them come on when you unlock the doors like the marker lights would be to run a wire into the grille and cut the marker light power wire and splice it in or trace that wire back where it leads to the PCM (Powertrain Control Module). Those features with the lock/unlock that trigger the marker and parking lights are not just a wiring thing. It is controlled by a flash ROM (Permanent software) built into the vehicles computer that triggers circuits within the truck to power on or off based on software functions. So it can be a bit more complicated than just connecting wires sometimes. The vehicles today are super complex.
This can be the case when an interior light get stuck on, and the same with the timer that shuts interior lights off if you leave the door open too long. Its software based.
The only thing I can't say 100% until you try it, is if it will trigger a fault within the computer system when it senses the additional load on that marker light wire and shuts down the circuit.
I'll explain. While the computer controls these power circuits now, it also tests for sensitivity. If it senses too much load or power draw on a circuit, it will shut it off until the next restart or reset possibly by disconnecting the battery. It does this to protect itself. That's why we came up with that kit. It has its own circuit on the PCM that was not used and is fuse protected. It's the next best thing which is ignition powered. The other way is to use a fuse tap which has also been mentioned. It does the same basic thing though. You can try to trace one of the wires from the marker light in the grille. Get a test light to be sure you get the power wire and not the ground and tap off of it direct. It probably won't kill the circuit because they do have very little draw, but i can't say 100% until you try it.