Rigid Radiance Scene Backlight Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ljn21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
HI Everyone - I installed a set of Rigid Radiance Scene lights in the front bumper pockets last week. After I installed them, to check that they were working/wired correctly, I turned the truck on/engine off, in park, turned the headlight switch 1 position left of auto to ON position and the radiance backlights worked. I then switched on the upfitter switches and the white lights came on, everything worked as it should. When I installed, I hooked the backlight wire from the wire harness to one of the pass through wires near the upfitter switch wire bundle under the hood. Then used the kit from Speciality Performance Parts with the pinned wire that goes into the empty slot in the connector near the fuse panel on the passenger footwell.

Fast forward to last Friday - I went to the store and the store had glass windows and it was the first time I could see the front of the truck while inside it since installing the lights, I wanted to see how everything looked. I pulled into a spot in front of the windows where the reflection worked to see, radiance backlights were not on. I put the truck in park, engine running, moved the headlight switch 1 position left to ON, no radiance backlights, tried 2 spots left of auto to parking lights only no radiance backlights. I put the truck in drive, checked auto, 1 left, 2 left on the headlight switch, no radiance backlights. Flipped the upfitter switch and the white lights came on. I thought there must be a connection issue with the backlight wire so when I got home, popped the hood, wire looked fine, checked the passenger foot-well, wire looked fine at the connection to the pass through wire and the pin looked like it was fine as well seated in the connector. Went back to the cab and like I did when I tested the lights on the install day, hit the start button, left engine off, in park, headlight switch 1 position left of auto, walked back to the front of the truck and bam, radiance backlights back on again...thought that was weird. Had to take care of things for the wife and didn't get a chance to come back to the truck until it was almost dark...dusk enough that when I went back to the truck and did the same thing again, ignition on, truck off, park, headlight switch in ON position, this time the radiance lights came on along with headlights and OE markers...

How do I get the Radiance backlights to come on with the OE marker lights or even with the headlights during the day? Do I have to code in Forscan or something? I assumed since I purchased that wire kit from SPP (to connect to the open slot in the connector under the fuse box), that the radiance backlights would be ON all the time...any help on what I am doing wrong?

Specialtyperformanceparts

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
HI Everyone - I installed a set of Rigid Radiance Scene lights in the front bumper pockets last week. After I installed them, to check that they were working/wired correctly, I turned the truck on/engine off, in park, turned the headlight switch 1 position left of auto to ON position and the radiance backlights worked. I then switched on the upfitter switches and the white lights came on, everything worked as it should. When I installed, I hooked the backlight wire from the wire harness to one of the pass through wires near the upfitter switch wire bundle under the hood. Then used the kit from Speciality Performance Parts with the pinned wire that goes into the empty slot in the connector near the fuse panel on the passenger footwell.

Fast forward to last Friday - I went to the store and the store had glass windows and it was the first time I could see the front of the truck while inside it since installing the lights, I wanted to see how everything looked. I pulled into a spot in front of the windows where the reflection worked to see, radiance backlights were not on. I put the truck in park, engine running, moved the headlight switch 1 position left to ON, no radiance backlights, tried 2 spots left of auto to parking lights only no radiance backlights. I put the truck in drive, checked auto, 1 left, 2 left on the headlight switch, no radiance backlights. Flipped the upfitter switch and the white lights came on. I thought there must be a connection issue with the backlight wire so when I got home, popped the hood, wire looked fine, checked the passenger foot-well, wire looked fine at the connection to the pass through wire and the pin looked like it was fine as well seated in the connector. Went back to the cab and like I did when I tested the lights on the install day, hit the start button, left engine off, in park, headlight switch 1 position left of auto, walked back to the front of the truck and bam, radiance backlights back on again...thought that was weird. Had to take care of things for the wife and didn't get a chance to come back to the truck until it was almost dark...dusk enough that when I went back to the truck and did the same thing again, ignition on, truck off, park, headlight switch in ON position, this time the radiance lights came on along with headlights and OE markers...

How do I get the Radiance backlights to come on with the OE marker lights or even with the headlights during the day? Do I have to code in Forscan or something? I assumed since I purchased that wire kit from SPP (to connect to the open slot in the connector under the fuse box), that the radiance backlights would be ON all the time...any help on what I am doing wrong?

You are only the second person I have heard with a similar situation. In that case, they put the pin in the WRONG location. I would expect that may be what you did?

If not, you might check where you crimped the pin wire to the butt connector inside the cab (pass through wires) to be sure you have a good connection and it isn't loose, as well as the connection in the engine bay to the backlight white wire.

See pics and verify where the pin was installed.

The other black spots may give you power in different scenarios but only when certain equipment may be turned on. That's probably why you get intermittent power (unless you don't have a good connection)

backlight wire copy.jpg pin 22.jpg pin 2.jpg

OP
OP
L

ljn21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thx John, I will double check the pin location - if I someone put in the wrong location, is there a trick/secret to getting the pin out of the connector? I double/triple checked the connections and they seem OK. If the connector is correct, I will cut the butt connectors off and reconnect with new connectors or solder them to see if that fixes the issue.

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thx John, I will double check the pin location - if I someone put in the wrong location, is there a trick/secret to getting the pin out of the connector? I double/triple checked the connections and they seem OK. If the connector is correct, I will cut the butt connectors off and reconnect with new connectors or solder them to see if that fixes the issue.

There is a small release at the end where the socket it. A pin removal tool will release it. Just need to pull back on the little clip.

OP
OP
L

ljn21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is a small release at the end where the socket it. A pin removal tool will release it. Just need to pull back on the little clip.
Any chance you could post a closeup pic of the pin so I can see what the clip looks like? And a link to the type of pin removal tool needed would also be awesome. I haven't had a chance to see if its in the wrong slot yet or not, just preparing if I was a bonehead lol

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Any chance you could post a closeup pic of the pin so I can see what the clip looks like? And a link to the type of pin removal tool needed would also be awesome. I haven't had a chance to see if its in the wrong slot yet or not, just preparing if I was a bonehead lol

I think I can only post 5 pics at a time. So I did my best. I almost need 4 hands. One to hold the light, one to hold the plug, one to hold the camera/phone and one to hold the plug.. lol

this first set is the terminal tool. Menards, $1.99. I’m sure you can find others somewhere else. Great for inside electric too, which is its primary function. Like a pointed screw driver. The part number is also in the pic so I’m sure you can even buy it online at menards.com or any other hardware/electric store...

once inserted, you can pull the pin out the backside.

3B6BC42D-3513-4E47-916A-A5AF59A58DA3.jpeg F78771BF-DBB4-4563-A47B-05D13DEF6F46.jpeg DE59143F-1621-4F19-8D47-A2BB02882CE5.jpeg 086FF13A-D729-4A9C-B0EE-F62E2DE06B10.jpeg 38AE0B74-A619-4FF1-838D-8F3631C88CDE.jpeg

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

I'd honestly just keep it simple. Just use an add-a-fuse tap. That's what we provide in our kits. You tap into an existing fuse under your hood that comes on with the truck. Your wiring harness is already there and it's quick and easy. So i'd try that route if you still have issues.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
edit,
See diagram. runs on fuse 23 that is fed by accessory delay relay.

Attachments

• 62.pdf
    140 KB · Views: 20
Last edited: