Rigid pod backup lights install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chzhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score

TiFJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you'll want to run power from the battery and use a relay from the reverse light to power those. You might do better with the diffused pattern as well for a reverse light.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think you'll want to run power from the battery and use a relay from the reverse light to power those. You might do better with the diffused pattern as well for a reverse light.
I second both comments here.

You definitely don't want spot, it totally washes out the rear camera and doesn't work well for reverse. I'm personally wrestling with whether I want Rigid flood or diffused (flush mounts) for my rear bumper (I currently have some cheapo floods, but had spots before).

Sernas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could use a plug in harness that goes to your trailer plug or just tap the reverse light wire at the same plug and ground on the chassis. I would also recommend getting a different light pattern for reverse lights combo pattern at very least but diffused or flood would work best.

OP
OP
Chzhead

Chzhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting, I would have thought spot pattern would have worked. Probably not too late to exchange them. I do have a trailer harness spliter that I picked up a few years ago, maybe I can tap into that then.

Thanks guys!

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Interesting, I would have thought spot pattern would have worked. Probably not too late to exchange them. I do have a trailer harness spliter that I picked up a few years ago, maybe I can tap into that then.

Thanks guys!
Spot is better for reaching out far. For backing up you want more of a broad/close view. Don't learn it for yourself, you'll be annoyed. Rigid has a nice graphic as well as an interactive tool for looking at the beam patterns. Unfortunately their site seems to be down at the moment.

OP
OP
Chzhead

Chzhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spot is better for reaching out far. For backing up you want more of a broad/close view. Don't learn it for yourself, you'll be annoyed. Rigid has a nice graphic as well as an interactive tool for looking at the beam patterns. Unfortunately their site seems to be down at the moment.

Yeah, I already reached out to them, see if I can get an exchange. Bought mine on black Friday so it shouldn't be an issue. Glad I reached out before I tried to install them!

Specialtyperformanceparts

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Where do you plan on mounting them?

The standard Rigid Brackets won’t fit under the Bumper. I’ve seen people install them hanging down under the hitch receiver? It doesn’t look really clean though. We developed custom brackets to fit directly under the bumper between the tow hooks and exhaust and a custom full length harness to go directly up to the fuse panel. Something you might look at. I put the harness and brackets on EBay stand alone.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/283651527719

Here is a video on install

Last edited:
Reaction score
on my last truck I had a set of rigid floods wired in to the reverse lights. I had a 3 way switch in the cab - on with reverse lights / off / on independent from reverse. I always left the switch in the on with reverse position, then once i had backed up to the trailer I flipped the switch to independent and had tons of light to see what I was doing. This was also great for many other night activities or loading the bed and such. I'd like to do the same on the Raptor (2020 LF Screw hopefully arriving next week). I'm not sure how to accomplish that with the upfitter switches. Any ideas? I was thinking maybe I'd just wire it in permanent for reverse, then wire in an upfitter switch to turn them on indeendently when I want them. Anyone done this?

Also, I had floods. It did wash out the camera some when backing up, but had great light for work. I was thinking I might try diffused this time. Anyone tried both?

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
on my last truck I had a set of rigid floods wired in to the reverse lights. I had a 3 way switch in the cab - on with reverse lights / off / on independent from reverse. I always left the switch in the on with reverse position, then once i had backed up to the trailer I flipped the switch to independent and had tons of light to see what I was doing. This was also great for many other night activities or loading the bed and such. I'd like to do the same on the Raptor (2020 LF Screw hopefully arriving next week). I'm not sure how to accomplish that with the upfitter switches. Any ideas? I was thinking maybe I'd just wire it in permanent for reverse, then wire in an upfitter switch to turn them on indeendently when I want them. Anyone done this?

Also, I had floods. It did wash out the camera some when backing up, but had great light for work. I was thinking I might try diffused this time. Anyone tried both?

My current cheap floods still kinda wash out the rear camera and look spot-ish since it's so close. Mine are flush mount cut into my aftermarket bumper. I think I'm resolved to trying diffused next. I'm looking at the Rigids:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N14VJ8B/?tag=fordraptorforum-20