Ride 4 your $

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dave_g

Reaction score
What your describing- to me is not axle hop ( I think of axle hop as under acceleration the rear axle rotating forward flexing the leaf springs) But what you are getting is the rear end and not respond fast enough to a series of bumps. The tires start to float across the tops and the rear end comes around.

This is a from the bumps coming to fast for the shocks to cycle. When I drove my truck home from the dealer it did it on ruff pavement- Dropping the tire pressure from the dealer 45 to 32 helped a fair amount- but I still get it now and then.

Try some weight in the bed as a test to see if that helps. My old f250 did it really bad unless there was 500 lbs in the bed.

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After hours of reading about the rear axle hop I’m Looking for some advice. I’ve read all about the eibach front springs and Geisers and rear deavers of all sizes. I’d love to go down that road but I can’t justify spending that much after the front the back and the bump stops. I’m just an average go driving back and forth to work on ****** dirt roads and ****** pavement. I throw my wheeler in the back occasionally.

I read a few guys say on here that putting a collar type on the front raising it up level reduced the axle hop a lot! Also improved the ride noticeably. Any help would be great I’m losing money buying mouthgaurds

Collars will raise your front end up, but they won't do anything to help wheel hop. Only replacement leaf springs like Deavers or Icons will fix that.

OP
OP
BellHeli407

BellHeli407

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn’t think collars would make any difference but someone said they thought it helped so I was curious. It seems deavers would help with the small bumps as well? Seeing as the leaf setup is softer? Am I wrong?

OP
OP
BellHeli407

BellHeli407

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What your describing- to me is not axle hop ( I think of axle hop as under acceleration the rear axle rotating forward flexing the leaf springs) But what you are getting is the rear end and not respond fast enough to a series of bumps. The tires start to float across the tops and the rear end comes around.

This is a from the bumps coming to fast for the shocks to cycle. When I drove my truck home from the dealer it did it on ruff pavement- Dropping the tire pressure from the dealer 45 to 32 helped a fair amount- but I still get it now and then.

Try some weight in the bed as a test to see if that helps. My old f250 did it really bad unless there was 500 lbs in the bed.

See I wasn’t sure if people still called that axle hop or not haha because it seems like it’s still hopin. But you are correct

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score

I agree with Dave, airpreasure in the rear about 32 helps a ton. With the deavers and soft tires it will ride plush. Just keep a air gage in the truck and play with it to find the sweet spot. Just don’t go trying to carve the canyon roads with the soft tires the ass will want to come around.

waveslayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn’t think collars would make any difference but someone said they thought it helped so I was curious. It seems deavers would help with the small bumps as well? Seeing as the leaf setup is softer? Am I wrong?
The Deavers perform much better and help keep the rear planted. The biggest issue I had was on simple roads, paved or dirt, the back end seemed to bounce and want to slip. I installed the Deavers and it fixed all of those issues

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

drewabbs

Reaction score
Some thoughts:

~) If you are suffering from "axle wrap", the removal of the OEM blocks (integrated with the bumps) when you get the better springs will reduce that, based on other threads.

~) you dont need to spend a ton on the bumpstops if you go Deaver or Icons. @NEOGARAGE can also help on this site.
https://sdhqoffroad.com/collections...ts/17-current-ford-raptor-sdhq-built-bump-pad

~) Collars are only going to preload your front springs, they wont change / get rid of bumps.

~) Agree with @dave_g put 2 tube sands in the back of the truck, $5 may fix your problem.

~) Agree with @waveslayer try different tire pressure.

~) Get your wheels re-balanced and see if anything is off there too.