Reviews? First drives?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KevoUsmc

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's funny you say that because I bought my house pre-covid and the market around here is still pretty nuts. I lost out on an offer because the other buyers opted to waive the inspection.. again before covid. Found out later their septic tank failed and they had to dig it up HAAAA jokes on them idiots

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The whole test drive thing is about to go the way of the do do bird. More companies are moving the Tesla route. Build to order

The article does not say that you'll no longer be able to go to the dealer for a test drive. All it's saying is that chip shortages have forced them to change the inventory model to something that's actually more efficient and cheaper, so they are unlikely to revert back. Build to Order, yes, but you will still be able to test drive a model when supply meets demand.

And honestly, I think they will keep plenty of stock on hand for the high volume vehicles. Dealer's surely don't like the build to order model. It takes more time, more work, and more chances for the buyer to back out. Dealers will naturally start trying to push used sales over new sales. Not good for Ford. And dealers will be less driven to sell below MSRP if they have no inventory to move.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's funny you say that because I bought my house pre-covid and the market around here is still pretty nuts. I lost out on an offer because the other buyers opted to waive the inspection.. again before covid. Found out later their septic tank failed and they had to dig it up HAAAA jokes on them idiots

Exactly. When I was in the market a few years back, I put a contract out on a house that I couldn't see any issues with. The inspector found the termite problem. At the very least you are likely to find a couple issues and make the home owner fix, or lower the asking price.

<@GCATX appreciation post>

Honeybadger_Zero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bronco. Mach E. How many orders are there for the cybertruck? How many people actually drove a tesla before they bought one. You're expecting people to be logical with their decision making. While I make the same mistake often myself, recent evidence shows that logic cannot be expected from others. And no, I'm not just talking about automobile purchases.

And I'm probably being a bit too harsh. The Raptor is more more vehicle than I need personally, but it's what I wanted.

I would agree that if you want a Gen 3 ASAP, you're going to have to forgo a test drive and closer look. However, there are going to be a few things, likely minor that you don't like about the vehicle. I would certainly like to get a better look at them before hand. Maybe the little things don't matter to some, particularly if you aren't coming for a Gen 2. But if you are, maybe you don't want to trade in the vehicle your happy with for the one who's seats aren't as comfortable, with an orange stitching you don't like...that sort of thing.

As far as home buying goes, if you are bypassing a home inspection, you're a fool.
FYI I’ve seen some places tout the reservations for cyber truck up around 1 million.

Last edited:

planetMalone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The whole test drive thing is about to go the way of the do do bird. More companies are moving the Tesla route. Build to order

Tesla still does test drives. They have “show rooms” you can visit and sign up for test drives. I’ve test driven a Model S and a Model Y.

planetMalone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bronco. Mach E. How many orders are there for the cybertruck? How many people actually drove a tesla before they bought one. You're expecting people to be logical with their decision making. While I make the same mistake often myself, recent evidence shows that logic cannot be expected from others. And no, I'm not just talking about automobile purchases.

And I'm probably being a bit too harsh. The Raptor is more more vehicle than I need personally, but it's what I wanted.

I would agree that if you want a Gen 3 ASAP, you're going to have to forgo a test drive and closer look. However, there are going to be a few things, likely minor that you don't like about the vehicle. I would certainly like to get a better look at them before hand. Maybe the little things don't matter to some, particularly if you aren't coming for a Gen 2. But if you are, maybe you don't want to trade in the vehicle your happy with for the one who's seats aren't as comfortable, with an orange stitching you don't like...that sort of thing.

As far as home buying goes, if you are bypassing a home inspection, you're a fool.
I’m okay ordering my Raptor before test driving it. I’ve seen two different ones in person. Plus when it arrives, I’ll be able to fully inspect it and test drive it before I sign the papers.

Chainsaw

Ghost of a Raptor Owner
Reaction score
I mean, realistically, what value does a prospective Raptor owner even get out of a test drive? What could happen during a five-minute test drive that would make someone walk away?

I'd be more concerned with seeing the interior layout/styling in person than an actual test drive. But lack of either wouldn't dissuade me from ordering.

EMY92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a Raptor, most people know already if they want one. Just because I didn't test drive a half-dozen Gen 3 doesn't mean I am not going to order it. Gotta pay to play. If you want to test drive before you buy that fine, probably won't be getting the truck until 2022 then. Not much different that buying a home, but yet you drop 3-4 times that amount and you don't "test drive" a house. The best you can do is look at photos and maybe walk around inside once or twice.
I bought a Gen 2 in early 2018. I had driven an F150 for the previous 20+ years. The one thing that you'll notice when you start driving the Raptor is how wide it is. You'll think you're hanging over the lines on both side of the lane.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I mean, realistically, what value does a prospective Raptor owner even get out of a test drive? What could happen during a five-minute test drive that would make someone walk away?
It's size. Some people come from sports cars. Some come from Jeeps. Some from mid-size trucks.
The ride.
The handling on road. And over curbs. :) One nice thing about covid, no salesman riding along nattering and freaking out when you take shortcuts.