B&O Stereo upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

double dee

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Just purchased my 2018 Raptor and have been reading the audio threads after not being pleased with the factory system. After seeings everyones post this is what I have come up with. What are your thoughts? Anything you would add/removed or change?

Nav TV A2B
JL Audio RD 900/5 amp
MTI single 10" box & amp mounting plate
JL Audio 10TW3 4ohm 10 inch sub
JL Audio Evolution C2 Speaker Series C2-650 6.5-inch Component Kit
JL Audio C1 Speaker Series C1-650x 6.5-inch Coaxial Kit
Stinger 4-gauge wire kit

Should I also purchase the JL Audio TwK-88?

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
looks like you have it all......excepct....you may want to consider 2 10's.

I have the same amp and it takes two 10's to keep up with the components up front and the rear doors.

also...to get the most out of that amp...in 5 channel mode......you will want to run the 5th channel...the woofers....at a 2ohm load. so two 10s with 4 oh voice coils each. i am not sure if anyone makes a dual 4ohm voice coil.

i say no on the twk-88...but others wont be caught dead without a dsp. you can always add it later.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I have the MTI box, single 10” sub and JL amp, would definitely do it again. I’m running a 2017 though, so slightly different mod path since the Sony is easier to upgrade. Even so, I think you’re on the right path.

question - is 4 gauge enough wire for what you have planned? If you’re going to do battery home runs, you’re looking at about 25-30 feet of wire, and 4 gauge is good for about 4-500 watts rms give or take... I’m not looking at the amp specs here, just asking the question.

Over wire, don’t underwire (well... unless you’re a well endowed woman, then underwire is ok from what my wife tells me).

Cobraman044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks like a great lineup. I built a MTI look alike sub with a single 10tw3-d4 woofer (pics in my gallery). The DSP is great if you are a tinkerer. I like to play with a few different tunes depending on the type of music I am in the mood for. I have not once wished I had another sub. It may because I am able to tune the way I want. I found a deal on the JL Audio VX1000/5i on ebay and could not pass it up.
The info posted in the forum is invaluable.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
question - is 4 gauge enough wire for what you have planned? If you’re going to do battery home runs, you’re looking at about 25-30 feet of wire, and 4 gauge is good for about 4-500 watts rms give or take... I’m not looking at the amp specs here, just asking the question.

I ran 4 gauge Power and ground to the battery. it ended up being less then 10 feet. and i have that exact amp. he is well within spec.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is the B&O system that bad?

Honestly....no. it is pretty good sounding at low to almost moderate levels. But as soon as you want to "CRANK IT", the system falls on it's face. What pushed me over the edge was last spring, driving home from work, with all 4 windows down, and the pano roof all the way open. i could not hear the dam music at all @ 70mph.

A nice spring day, trying to blow off steam from a hard day at work. You need music man. Now at any speed i want, i can hear and FEEL my music, and it just makes the stress from work melt away.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I ran 4 gauge Power and ground to the battery. it ended up being less then 10 feet. and i have that exact amp. he is well within spec.

<10 feet? How?

Even a direct run from the battery through the passenger side is 10’ to the back seat, notwithstanding the wire routing. To be fair, I went through the driver’s side, so yes my runs are longer than they need to be but I knew how to get wires through there and wasn’t looking to spend extra time learning how to get wires through the passenger side ;-)

Anyway, I was just asking about the load, it sounds like 4 gauge is enough.

Honestly....no. it is pretty good sounding at low to almost moderate levels. But as soon as you want to "CRANK IT", the system falls on it's face.

That’s more accurate, to be fair. My complaint wasn’t so much volume, but I did observe the same thing. My gripe was the stock system was muddy, imprecise, and utterly failed to accurately represent subtle elements in harmony sections of music. Rhythm guitar would get trampled on, probably due to the mixing they did to make it sound good at low volume, but at the cost of everywhere else.