Reverse lights not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Prybar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure what the deal is. Bulbs are good, I checked all the fuses and relays. The other items on the same circuit work fine. Reverse switch maybe? I don't even know where that is. I looked and the tranny is so tight to the body underneath I can't tell what is what and I'm pretty sure I couldn't get to it even if I could. Any ideas?

OP
OP
Prybar

Prybar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do need to test the power at the bulb sockets. I did't do that because I put about 4 different bulbs in each socket. And of course I can see the filament in the bulbs. All looked good. I'm super stumped. It's like a wire broke or came loose or something but I don't see anything obvious.

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My first thought was to check the wire harness which hangs below the frame on the drivers side. Also, check the 7 way / pin trailer plug.

OP
OP
Prybar

Prybar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My first thought was to check the wire harness which hangs below the frame on the drivers side. Also, check the 7 way / pin trailer plug.

Exactly what I am doing now. I'll report back if I find anything.

---------- Post added at 01:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 PM ----------

Wire harness seems good. Not smashed or loose. All wire harness connections I can see and feel are secure.

7 pin trailer plug has no reverse light power to the center pin when in reverse either. I'm thinking reverse switch maybe? Anyone know where it is? Console I'm guessing.

SlimChaChi

FRF Addict
Reaction score

---------- Post added at 01:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 PM ----------

Wire harness seems good. Not smashed or loose. All wire harness connections I can see and feel are secure.

7 pin trailer plug has no reverse light power to the center pin when in reverse either. I'm thinking reverse switch maybe? Anyone know where it is? Console I'm guessing.

The standard reverse lights have no power or are these flush mounts or otherwise?

---------- Post added at 06:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 PM ----------

I had an issue where I tapped into the harness for reverse lights. Never had an issue, then one day i mistakenly trie to tap into the same wire for bed lights. Reverse lights then shit the bed. Ended up being that fuse 43 blew.

OP
OP
Prybar

Prybar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's the standard stock reverse lights that aren't working. I don't have any aux reverse lights yet. I'll re-check fuse #43. Thanks.

OP
OP
Prybar

Prybar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No joy. #43 is fine as is the #39 (or #38?) relay. I'm still leaning toward reverse switch. Just no clue where it is.

OP
OP
Prybar

Prybar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess as well Corona. I just didn't want to dig into the console and be wrong. Seems like someone would have run across it at some point and could lead me in the right direction.