Return of the Lightning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Someone in Ford marketing has decided that there will not be any more new names for Ford models. They are just going to recycle the old names.

Mustang Mach-E
Tremor
Bronco
Maverick
Lightning

I would not be surprised if Ford comes out with a new Model T.
It sounds like the old names are basically turning into brands. Since Lightning will be the BEV, I anticipate it may be everything from a work truck model to eventually a performance model and have a designation after the Lightning name.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It sounds like the old names are basically turning into brands. Since Lightning will be the BEV, I anticipate it may be everything from a work truck model to eventually a performance model and have a designation after the Lightning name.
Lightning R! LOL

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Don't know, but I'm getting the impression that it's going to be a trim level. So F150 will have XL, XLT, Lariat, Platinum, Limited, Tremor, Raptor, Lightning. Although you could classify the BEV as an engine option...2.7L V6, 3.3L V6, 5.0 V8, 3.5L V6 Powerboost, Lightning....I don't think it will be.

For one thing, there are obviously rather significant differences between the Lightning powerplant and others, even from the hybrid. If it considered an engine option, I would think it would only show up on 1 or 2 trims at the most. But I still think it will be a new trim, probably more of a performance. If they want to market it as a work truck, or off road, then they could make a BEV option on the XL/Raptor/Tremor trim...or something....don't know.

I guess I'm assuming they are using the Lightning name because it's been used for performance before. But then again, the abused the Mustang name a little bit with the Mach-E.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Don't know, but I'm getting the impression that it's going to be a trim level. So F150 will have XL, XLT, Lariat, Platinum, Limited, Tremor, Raptor, Lightning. Although you could classify the BEV as an engine option...2.7L V6, 3.3L V6, 5.0 V8, 3.5L V6 Powerboost, Lightning....I don't think it will be.
This is a good point. F150 is Ford. The flagship product. It makes sense to have as much product labeled F150 as possible.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score

For one thing, there are obviously rather significant differences between the Lightning powerplant and others, even from the hybrid. If it considered an engine option, I would think it would only show up on 1 or 2 trims at the most. But I still think it will be a new trim, probably more of a performance. If they want to market it as a work truck, or off road, then they could make a BEV option on the XL/Raptor/Tremor trim...or something....don't know.

I guess I'm assuming they are using the Lightning name because it's been used for performance before. But then again, the abused the Mustang name a little bit with the Mach-E.
From what I was hearing it sounded like the Lightning was going the way of the Mach-E. But you do have a GT and a GT Performamce version. So the Lightning sounds like it may have the same.

dixonk

HMFIC
Reaction score
Someone in Ford marketing has decided that there will not be any more new names for Ford models. They are just going to recycle the old names.

Mustang Mach-E
Tremor
Bronco
Maverick
Lightning

I would not be surprised if Ford comes out with a new Model T.
What’s next Crown Victoria?

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They never should have discontinued the Probe.

Also, this thread title causes 'Return of the Mack' to spontaneously start playing in my head.