Retrofitting Torsen diff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for checking. Any idea how many hours of labor required to swap it out?

Probably looking in the 4-5 hour range. It's 2.4 to R&R the whole assembly, then your lookin at time to swap the ring gear over, press the side bearings on the new torsion diff, check and adjust for back-lash and pre-load, re seal the front cover etc.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
Probably looking in the 4-5 hour range. It's 2.4 to R&R the whole assembly, then your lookin at time to swap the ring gear over, press the side bearings on the new torsion diff, check and adjust for back-lash and pre-load, re seal the front cover etc.
That is a little bit quicker than I was guessing...

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pirate, I'm making a road trip up there this summer to have you put my Torsen in.:waytogo:

Hah! with any luck I'll have a new job/career by then!

That is a little bit quicker than I was guessing...

I don't think it'll be that bad, but really depends on how "drop in" the torsion diff actually is. A complete overhaul calls for 8 ish hours, which swapping the torsion shouldn't be that extensive.

fshol

Full Access Member
Reaction score

And if you change the complete differential?

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And if you change the complete differential?

Guess I'm not sure what you mean. To change the WHOLE assembly, still assembled, as one unit (the diff/axle housing with all the guts still inside; differential, ring/pinion, bearings, snub axle shafts, etc), you're lookin about 2.5 hours. To change JUST the differential unit itself, I'm guesstimating 4-5 hours (at this point you've pulled the whole assembly and are now opening it up to change the differential). To completely over haul it (overhaul meaning you're starting out with a bare housing, so you're installing all the bearings and races, setting up pinion depth, and ring gear back lash, installing all the seals, snub axles etc), your looking at closer to 8-9 hours. When doing a complete overhaul like this, more often than not it makes sense to buy a complete assembly instead. By the time you add up cost for the individual parts and all the labor, the assembled unit is about the same price or cheaper.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Maybe he's thinking about a swap with a unit from a junkyard? That's kind of where I think I might go with this, if one can be had for cheap enough.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe he's thinking about a swap with a unit from a junkyard? That's kind of where I think I might go with this, if one can be had for cheap enough.

Yeah, might not be a bad way to go if you can find one, just might take a little while before they pop up.. A swap like that is in the 2.5 hour range, long as the junkyard unit is in good shape.

crashmc302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might as well go w 37's if you're going to be moving the ring gear over. Just drop in a gear for the bigger tires and bam! Torsen w 37s

fshol

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guess I'm not sure what you mean. To change the WHOLE assembly, still assembled, as one unit (the diff/axle housing with all the guts still inside; differential, ring/pinion, bearings, snub axle shafts, etc), you're lookin about 2.5 hours. To change JUST the differential unit itself, I'm guesstimating 4-5 hours (at this point you've pulled the whole assembly and are now opening it up to change the differential). To completely over haul it (overhaul meaning you're starting out with a bare housing, so you're installing all the bearings and races, setting up pinion depth, and ring gear back lash, installing all the seals, snub axles etc), your looking at closer to 8-9 hours. When doing a complete overhaul like this, more often than not it makes sense to buy a complete assembly instead. By the time you add up cost for the individual parts and all the labor, the assembled unit is about the same price or cheaper.
Thanks for the answer. I do mean the complete assembly, which means that i don't have to worry on adjustments etc. Beside changing the assembly, i guess you will only have to remove and reinstall the driveshafts, which should not be too difficult? Since we don't have too many Raptors over here, I will probably have to buy a complete new assembly