GEN 2 RetraxPro RX

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have the Pro XR (with a bike rack on top). Did the install myself, followed the instructions (Including slight angle on the rails). Bone dry, despite some heavy downpours over the last month. No extra weather striping.

I’d expect leakage around the tailgate when parked nose down in a heavy rain, but dry so far....
upload_2020-6-24_19-43-32.jpeg
upload_2020-6-24_19-46-48.jpeg

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
That does not do enough, the problem is really one of design. I contacted RETRAX and they sent some weather srtripping (nice of them) but it doesn't seem any amount of weatherstripping could help.

Make sure EVERYTHING under the RETRAX cover is in a plastic bin, can't tell you how much stuff the weather has ruined when it wasn't in it's own weatherproof box under the RETRAX.

Water POURS in from the Tailgate, everywhere else it does fine.

It's not junk, but IMHO it's no where worth $2k

I truly think it is an installation issue. Proper measurement at the tailgate and proper angles of the rails have kept the RetraxPRO MX on F-250 leak free.

So is there another made that has the track system?

So since water ingress is a problem, is there another cover that has the track system? I really wanted the Retrax!

Pace Edwards makes a retractable cover with rails. And Undercover also has a one-piece cover with rails. But we have the ability to add rails to most covers on the market as well.

I have the XR as well and have been looking at adding rails and a rack. What did you go with? Looks great!

This is a Front Runner rack setup on the previous poster's truck. It's a direct fit for the Retrax XR line. We carry the Front Runner setup if you'd like to explore pricing and options on them.

Fyatrk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have the Retrax (non power model) on my wife’s ZR2, and she really likes it. We even put some of the Truxedo weather proofing around the tale gate, but the bed is still not water tight. It’s a great cover, and I’d recommend one to anybody. I just don’t think you’ll ever get a cover that’s 100% waterproof for a truck bed.
Try a Diamondback

OP
OP
Hdaniel85

Hdaniel85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Verdict is in, no leaks when I used a power washer at the local car wash. The people that installed it are professionals when it comes to truck beds/tonneau covers. It was probably a bad install @pastorwug , I was really trying to make it leak. I think next time I will mount a GoPro in the bed to show how water resistant it was.

911 Crazy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Verdict is in, no leaks when I used a power washer at the local car wash. The people that installed it are professionals when it comes to truck beds/tonneau covers. It was probably a bad install @pastorwug , I was really trying to make it leak. I think next time I will mount a GoPro in the bed to show how water resistant it was.

The Pastor is in SoCal too so maybe he can get hooked up with your installers......provided there's an In-n-Out nearby.:)

pastorwug

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a Front Runner rack setup on the previous poster's truck. It's a direct fit for the Retrax XR line. We carry the Front Runner setup if you'd like to explore pricing and options on them.

I called them recently and they said they were all out of racks until South Africa produced some more, if you have their racks in stock I'm very interested.

JP77

Reaction score
Installed the retrax xr and love it. Only leaks from a car wash and it’s through the tailgate gaps. There is a lot of daylight that comes through the tailgate even when the ford weather stripping is installed. I love the ability to add tie downs and rack above the bed.

OP
OP
Hdaniel85

Hdaniel85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called them recently and they said they were all out of racks until South Africa produced some more, if you have their racks in stock I'm very interested.

I went to "http://fullertruck.com/", they had the XR in stock so I dropped my truck off, it was done in about an hour. I went to the Fullerton location, they only have 2 locations, Fullerton and Riverside

Sean M Heard

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I truly think it is an installation issue. Proper measurement at the tailgate and proper angles of the rails have kept the RetraxPRO MX on F-250 leak free.
Can you DM me details? Thanks!

Pace Edwards makes a retractable cover with rails. And Undercover also has a one-piece cover with rails. But we have the ability to add rails to most covers on the market as well.